Green Room

Video: The originality of local TV-news reporting

posted at 9:54 am on December 18, 2013 by

Just how original are those local news features that sound chatty and clever? Conan O’Brien has a running series on his show demonstrating the strangely familiar items represented as original reporting, but this one featured at TV Spy seems especially creepy. “I find it frightening,” O’Brien says, but it’s mostly just sad:

I mean, how difficult is it to write an original “people buy things for themselves at Christmas” piece? Better yet, who actually wrote this one? I suspect it was a bitter 1960s burnout stuck on the overnight desk in Fresno, and it has been circling the planet ever since.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’m devastated. I thought I could trust the locals. I even stopped watching national. I guess they are all useful idiots. We can’t easily tell when the on air folks are controlled. We can tell when net folks are cheating, because we have immediate traceability.

Old Country Boy on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It’s OK, you can admit it if you think the media is full of crap.

Flange on December 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Ummmm, I mean, there’s a reason that the major network news orgs have what’s called “affiliates”. There’s not enough local news sometimes to fill up the hour, so they get story feeds from their up line. This really isn’t news to me.

But the way Conan presented it, yes, it was creepy.

44Magnum on December 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I remember the days when things such as this weren’t “news” and even if it were original would have never made it on air in the first place.

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

44Magnum on December 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

No, they’re too lazy and stupid to come up with real local news, so they read pre-fab syndicated copy. Today’s anchors just aren’t the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree.

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I’ve seen this work from the other side. PR people put together complete packages, including interviews, b-roll, and scripts; then they hock it to news outlets. There are even wire services where they can pitch their packages.

This is the more-obvious version of reporting by press release. If you don’t think that most of the items reporters and anchors are talking about came from faxes and emails from special-interest groups, you’re nuts. Of course, reporters are going to look at the releases from Planned Parenthood, AFL-CIO, Brookings, Greenpeace, etc., while circularly filing the ones from Heritage, FreedomWorks, NRA, Live Action, etc.

That’s where the bias in the media begins–which press releases get looked at and which don’t.

HakerA on December 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

This isn’t the way journolist was supposed to work.

TexasDan on December 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

But, what about Christmas Jammies? Sorry, that’s the only defense I can come up with for these guys.

TexAz on December 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

…it’s FOX NEWS fault!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Turn your TV off for a week and you’ll be amazed how much better your life becomes. You may never turn it on again.

Galtian on December 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I’m devastated. I thought I could trust the locals

Why on earth would you think that??? You do realize that these people all majored in Journalism at a liberal university.

Wallythedog on December 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

It’s better to give and receive.

*gives self another thread winner award*

Christien on December 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It’s OK; you can admit it, if you’ve plagiarized an item or two — or all of them.

Nomennovum on December 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM
Top Pick

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM
Top Pick

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”