Green Room

Concealed-carry citizen stops armed robbery in Minneapolis

posted at 12:51 pm on December 18, 2013 by

Just a reminder that allowing law-abiding and properly trained citizens to carry firearms enhances security for the entire community, not just for the citizen himself:

A northeast Minneapolis man said he interrupted an armed and bloody robbery at a corner market in his neighborhood, sending the two suspects fleeing when he drew his handgun from his holster and had it “at the ready.”

The confrontation occurred shortly after 9:30 p.m. Tuesday outside the University Market in the 300 block of 37th Avenue, according to police and the man who stepped in and halted the crime.

Store owner Mohamed S. Ahmed, 41, had the “back of his skull split open pretty good” from being pistol-whipped by one of the suspects, said Matt Dosser, the armed citizen who came upon the unfolding crime scene and cared for Ahmed until police arrived. …

The gunman “turned around and looked at me,” Dosser said. “He stared at me. I had my weapon up. I didn’t point the gun at the person. I had it at the ready, out of the holster.

His buddy said something to him, and then he had this surprised look on his face, and they both ran to his vehicle and took off.”

Kudos to the Star Tribune for fairly reporting the incident as well.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It being almost socialist Minnesota, I will refrain from commenting.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

BATF SWAT team breaking down door of good samaritan’s home in 3…2…

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Concealed-carry citizen stops armed robbery in Minneapolis

…MSM…don’t report it!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

And he didn’t even have to fire a shot.

Of course, the libtards will try to tell you that, if he hadn’t had that gun, the crooks would have politely stood by while he called the cops.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I thought the story was supposed to end with the assailants overpowering the good samaritan and shooting him with his own gun.

antipc on December 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

But why did he have to use a gun, why so much violence? He could have gotten the same results just by whippin’ it out and peeing on them or just sticking a finger down his throat and pukin’ up some chunks. Must be some kind of Tea Partier thug.

Oldnuke on December 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, I saw this story on GMA this morning. /

Wonder what’s going to happen when a CCW-holder eventually stops a Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech in progress. Will the national press pick up the story? Oh right, that’ll never happen because mass-murdering psychopaths only seem to target “gun-free zones”.

crrr6 on December 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Concealed-carry citizen stops armed robbery in Minneapolis

Ed, is the MN open carry permit the same as the CC permit? According to the article, “Dosser, 41, said he has a permit to legally carry his sidearm, and typically keeps it out of plain view, ‘especially in the city.’” That makes it sound like it’s his choice to carry either concealed or open and he prefers concealed.

Dusty on December 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

And he didn’t even have to fire a shot.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I’m not sure that’s a good thing in this case. The perp was armed with a pistol. I don’t think I would have given him the chance to try and “outdraw” me. Once I have it out of the holster with an armed adversary, I’m not taking chances. (Maybe he addresses this – I haven’t read the whole story, yet.)

GWB on December 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

IRS audit in 5,4,3,2,1…

Walter L. Newton on December 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Antonym: Pajama Boy

mankai on December 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

“just another make-believe anecdote…”
/Verbaldouche

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

And he didn’t even have to fire a shot.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Given that the criminals had a gun out and had already physically attacked the store owner – I personally think he SHOULD have fired a few shots. IMHO – the criminals should have been carried away in body bags.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Philosophically, I agree with those who said that the armed citizen should have shot the armed robber instead of brandishing his firearm in the hopes that the criminal will retreat. otoh, knowing big city police departments and their leftist prosecutors this fellow may have shown good judgement.

After all, these thugs could have been beating up Ahmed to get some Skittles! Had the citizen shot one of them he might have had to endure a year-long trial in the newspapers as opportunistic leftists invented stories about the shooting.

iconoclast on December 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

GWB on December 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I’m with you guys. If the baddie’s packing, he’s taking a round. Remove the threat. Don’t let him scurry off to assault another day.

I was simply pointing out that, in a lot of cases, a lawful gun owner never even has to actually shoot someone, as the mere sight of armed opposition (that’s not supposed to happen!) usually causes the criminal to sh-t his pants and run away rethink his increasingly untenable position.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Oh ya – I agree with that – which is why gun free zones attract criminals.

Also sort of a tangential point to my sarc post of the kind things verbaldouche and the other libtard trolls always try to claim – that these things don’t really happen.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Shoot/Don’t Shoot Considerations for CCW:
1. Is your life in danger?
2. Is an innocent’s life danger?
3. How is it going to look to the jury on that store’s video?
4. Can I simply walk away with a clear conscience?

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Shoot/Don’t Shoot Considerations for CCW:
1. Is your life in danger?
2. Is an innocent’s life danger?
3. How is it going to look to the jury on that store’s video?
4. Can I simply walk away with a clear conscience?

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

In this particular case, for me personally, I’d say:
1. Yes, if the perp has a gun out and turns in my direction in any way.
2. Yes – he’s on the ground severely bleeding from the head.
3. Probably like you stopped the victim from being killed.
4. No.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

4. Can I simply walk away with a clear conscience?

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Further regarding this point – If you were to walk away or let the perps get away, what are you going to think when the news comes out that they killed someone else in a follow-on robbery?
Criminals who do things like this are never “one and done” – the crimes continue, and very often get worse as they go.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Shoot/Don’t Shoot Considerations for CCW:
1. Is your life in danger?

He’s holding a gun and looking at me, so I’ll go with “yes.”

2. Is an innocent’s life danger?

He’s already pistol whipping the clerk, so again, “yes.”

3. How is it going to look to the jury on that store’s video?

Like a criminal getting a taste of Instant Karma. But then again….

(This is where one has to be careful.)

4. Can I simply walk away with a clear conscience?

I’m not the one committing a crime.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Dusty on December 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Minnesota allows Open Carry or Concealed Carry by anyone who has a valid permit issued by their county’s Sheriff’s Office.

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Forgot to cite relevant statutes:

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Spot and and the reason for my original comment.

On a related note, those poor kids learned a valuable lesson for the next time they rob.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Concur wholeheartedly.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Understand your point.

GWB on December 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

My intent with the “considerations” was not to be specific to this situation. We live in a litigous, predominately Liberal society now, and I would prefer my fellow non-LEO Conservatives think of themselves and the obligations they have to their families first. A jury comprised of Liberals who wouldn’t deign to be your peer will destroy all of that if it can be construed in any way that you behaved vengefully with your weapon. And if that politically-minded DA can put you in front of that jury, he will.

As to this situation, if that robber wants to run away, I’ll let him and tend to the clerk as I’m relaying a SITREP to the 911 dispatcher.

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Lucky you ain’t dead pal !

Anyways, thanks for letting the thugs out of your ‘sights’ so they can
run away to rob, pillage and kill at some other corner market.

Oh wait…you never had them in your sights..sheeeesh…were you going to throw the gun at them?

BigSven on December 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

News for the anti-gun, convinced-we’ll-all-kill-you crowd: you don’t actually have to shoot someone to make a point. As in the case of “knockout gamers”, all you have to do is have that gun in your hand, and most cowardly punks will cease and desist.

RebeccaH on December 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Shhh, don’t anyone….this is one of those inconvienent truths where the loony lefties stick their fingers in their ears and yell…”La la la la!!!”

norm1111 on December 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I often think about the ramifications. From a purely practical standpoint, it makes me consider which gun to carry. Is it a gun I wouldn’t mind losing? Because if I do end up using it, chances are it’s getting zipped into an evidence bag once the police arrive, and that’ll be the last I see of it, whether I’m exonerated or not.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

crrr6 on December 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I would say that happened the other day at Arapahoe High School. Not a CCW holder, but the deputy at the school shut down that little socialist schnook pretty darn quick.

NavyMustang on December 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

You’re right. When I was a cop, I considered getting my own AR-15 until another cop with more years let me know that if I got into a shoot that my $1500 AR would be taken into evidence and who knows when I would get it back.

After that, I just drew a weapon from the armory. I’m glad now that I save the $1500.

NavyMustang on December 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Carry the best one you can afford, who cares if you lose it to the evidence locker for all time if it ends up saving your life; you can always get another.

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Lucky you ain’t dead pal !
BigSven on December 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yup, even if you don’t have to shoot you should at least let the bad guy know that you will if you have to. And in that case, ya wanna have the drop on him.

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Too bad he didn’t knee-cap them. Hard to run on one leg….so that would preclude them continuing in their career path.

GarandFan on December 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Good point.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

They sure did – 1) go ahead and take the loot with you when you walk away from the guy who has a gun but doesn’t seem willing to actually use it, 2) don’t rob the guy at the front door in plain view, and 3) shoot anyone that interferes with your robbery.

My personal opinion is their next victim (and there WILL be a next victim), and anyone who interferes will get shot and likely killed.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

It wasn’t me!

ConcealedKerry on December 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

That’s one reason why I have multiple CCW options.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Taxpayer funded burial for two scumbags cheaper than taxpayer funded prison of course one has to have enough reason to send em to hell so it’s a case by case call. Is your or someone elses life in imminent danger, better be sure else,,,,,,Zimmermanned!

ConcealedKerry on December 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I’ll take the litigious possibilities over possibly being killed any day. As the saying goes, “I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6″.

Your final line appears to be a standard LEO type response. As many of them keep saying, their job is not necessarily to prevent a crime, but to investigate the crime after the fact and try to catch the perp. Basically, the criminals are free to run and commit more crimes until someone finally stops them. I just hope someone doesn’t die before these 2 are stopped.

dentarthurdent on December 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Good point.

CurtZHP on December 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Unless they no longer make that firearm.

If you use it as intended, the cops will take it.

I never got it back.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Unless they no longer make that firearm.

If you use it as intended, the cops will take it.

I never got it back.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

That’s a damned shame, Cosmo… Care to share that story?

PointnClick on December 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I think the happy medium is a gun that serves you well and doesn’t break the bank. My favorite gun is a Sig P220, but I almost never carry it because it is brutally heavy in a IWB holster, and as indicated above, I’d truly hate to lose it. The solution (for me) is “Thumper”, my Taurus PT745. It is reliable, lightweight, easy to carry, 7 rounds of 45 ACP, and if I got “Zimmermanned”, it can be replaced for $350 bucks.

PointnClick on December 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM