Green Room

“I like my insurance plan but I can’t keep it under Obamacare”

posted at 11:22 am on December 9, 2013 by

An angry Washingtonian surveys his new healthcare reality:

Checking the Washington state health-insurance exchange, I found I am among millions who are getting a much worse deal — much higher premiums with higher deductibles and less choice of doctors, and ineligible for the Affordable Care Act tax credit. My current premium is $278 per month with a $3,500 deductible. My Blue Shield insurer is canceling this policy and not offering any policies on the state health-insurance exchange. The least expensive off-exchange policy it now offers is $545 per month, roughly double what I pay now, with a $5,000 in-network and $10,000 out-of-network deductible.

On the Washington state exchange, the least expensive option, in the bronze category, is $433 per month, a 56 percent increase. But this policy is from a no-name insurer that few of my providers will accept. The only Blue Cross and Blue Shield provider on the exchange offers a bronze policy for $492 per month — a 77 percent increase. What does the extra $214 per month offer? A lot less than I have now. My deductible would rise to $5,000 for in-network providers and $10,000 for out-of-network providers, and the number of providers in network would decline. This is a nationwide phenomenon, as insurers limit access to doctors and hospitals on the exchanges.

When sticker shock and doc shock collide next year, millions more Americans are going to be livid.  Zeke Emanuel and friends can dissemble and revise ’til they’re blue in the face; spin won’t change realities on the ground.  Democrats are laboring under the delusion that once Obamacare’s websites are repaired and functional, their political problem will melt away.  Good luck with that.  The Healthcare.gov fiasco is merely an appetizer.  The law itself is the rib-sticking main course.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“Andrew Reding, a Bellingham resident, is a senior fellow of the New York-based World Policy Institute.”

No question he voted for Obama. Reap the whirlwind, fascist.

ramesees on December 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Over at the article, libs are spinning like mad to discredit the guy as a troll, a fraud, a paid Koch plant… anything to avoid accepting reality.

dominigan on December 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Ask Pelosi…now that it is being read.

right2bright on December 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

no whining…you wanted it you got it…
deal with it…

cmsinaz on December 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Just lie back and try to enjoy it.

rogerb on December 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

obama: “lalala i can’t hear you…”

Sachiko on December 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Is anyone else now using two spoons to wolf down all this tasty, tasty schadenfreude?

Maddie on December 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Just lie back and try to enjoy it.

rogerb on December 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

“Grab your ankles and cough for me.”

Maddie on December 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The health.gov is actually the menu not even an appetizer… The appetizer is the 6 millions people who already lost their insurance… The main course is the tens of millions more who will badly damaged by Obamacare starting next year…

mnjg on December 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

mnjg on December 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh goody – I can’t wait to see what the dessert is!!!!

Actually the just desserts will be many democrats losing seats and liberalism discredited.

redguy on December 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Maddie on December 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I’m trying to figure out how to package and freeze it.

This is better than HaaganDazs.

lynncgb on December 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I’ve been telling family and friends this since 2009. Not surprisingly, none of them believed me. My sister in Seattle says they were able to find a replacement plan with the same premium from a different insurer. I asked my mother to find out if the co-pays and deductibles were the same, but haven’t heard back yet.

As for the schadenfreude? I’m experiencing a lot of it, but it would be a lot more freude for me if I wasn’t one of those folks who lost their job because the hospital system I was working for decided they needed to trim expenses. Remember back when the media was wailing about the 4-point-something percent unemployment rates under Bush? Good times, good times, it’s around 9 percent where I am right now.

Anyone need a librarian?

LibraryGryffon on December 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

mnjg on December 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Along with lack of doctors to accept the coverage…

Doctors boycotting California’s Obamacare exchange

dominigan on December 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Oops… forgot to mention that the numbers of doctors boycotting the exchange is extremely significant… 70 PERCENT!!!

dominigan on December 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Designed by progressive Fascists.
Passed by oppressive Democrats, with neither Republican nor conservative NOR practicing physician input (Zeke ‘the Sneak’ Emanuel’s input hardly counts).

You wanted it. You got it. Own it, Liberals. And weep.

orangemtl on December 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Own it you moron oba-mao voters. You voted for a communist and you got it.

ultracon on December 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Well, they fixed the web site so we can finally “see what’s in it” and even Obama voters don’t like it or the Dims who voted for it.

Nomas on December 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

“The Healthcare.gov fiasco is merely an appetizer. The law itself is the rib-sticking main course.”

This closer unfortunately reads like a classic oxymoron. As in, a rib-sticking main course is fulfilling . . . a good thing. Yum!

Instead, how about:

“The Healthcare.gov fiasco was a mere diaper biscuit. The law itself is the honey-dipping catastrophe.”

Trochilus on December 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM