Green Room

Mary Flesch Min, 1962-2013

posted at 12:50 pm on December 8, 2013 by

Those who follow me on Twitter or on Facebook already know that my sister-in-law Mary Flesch Min passed away on Thursday morning after a year-long battle with lung cancer. She had fought bravely since being diagnosed in a coma last Christmas Eve, when the doctors thought she’d have no more than a month to live.  Instead, she rebounded through chemo and a brave spirit, and perhaps had the best year of her life with her husband Roy. We had hoped she’d see another Christmas, which she loved, but she couldn’t quite make it.

I met Mary for the first time on Christmas. I went over to Marcia’s parents’ house on Christmas evening to spend a little time with them, playing with David’s Christmas gifts and having dinner.  Mary blew into the house an hour or so after I arrived — and there was no other way to describe it.  Mary loved Christmas, and she was joyous, and joyously loud and exuberant.  She spent about an hour with us as I recall, and Marcia said after she left, “That was Hurricane Mary.”

It was awesome. In every sense of the word.

Mary was always at her most delighted at the holidays.  She showed up in a full elf costume on Christmas day once or twice while we still lived in Southern California, and I imagine she did so after we moved to Minnesota, even though we weren’t around to see it. She never got over her child-like delight with the holiday, and she made it all the more delightful for the rest of us.

It’s going to be difficult to go through Christmas this year without thinking of all those wonderful memories, and I wouldn’t want to do so anyway.

There are a lot of arrangements to be made, and I’m doing my best to assist in them. I won’t be around much this week on the site, on Twitter, or on Facebook as a result. Fortunately for me, I am blessed with wonderful friends who are also colleagues here at Hot Air and elsewhere — Allahpundit, Erika, Mary Katharine, Jazz, Guy, Kevin, Steve, and Jeff, who are working hard to give me enough space to handle things this week. I wanted to take a moment to share with readers who have already lifted us up in prayer and good wishes about what is happening, and a little bit about Mary, who died far too young at 51. We are going to miss her every Christmas, and every other day of the year, too.

Godspeed, Big Sis. We love you so much.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God bless her soul, and that of her family and loved ones. Thanks for sharing your memories of her, Ed.

itzWicks on December 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM

As one of the lurkers on your Hot Air pages, my condolences, Mr. Morrissey. I shall say prayers for your beloved “Hurricane Mary” and your entire family.

Kevin K. on December 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM

My condolences, Ed. May the peace of G0d be upon her; heaven knows this is the part that “passeth all understanding”.

smellthecoffee on December 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Very sorry for the sadness her passing brings, but very happy you had such an extraordinary person in your life. May your faith in our Father and memories of Mary’s spirit continue to strengthen you.

itsacookbook on December 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Please accept our heartfelt condolences on the loss of Mary…she sounded like a great gal. We know exactly what you’re going through– hoping for one more holiday, as my wife’s mother is going through her own battle with lung cancer.

We will keep you, and your family in our prayers.

funkengruven on December 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Mary certainly sounds like she was one of those special people who surpassed the ordinary and whose joyful spirit was a blessing to all those who were lucky enough to have known her.
Prayers for peace and strength during this difficult time.

lynncgb on December 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Ed, thank you for sharing the sad news. My condolences to Marcia, you and the rest of your family.

gh on December 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Oh Ed – my prayers go out to you, Marcia and your family. Mary sounds like a gift that God really wanted back to Himself. While I am sure it will be difficult for you all this Christmas, you can find peace in the knowledge that Mary is now surrounded in a force and a love so awesome, we can’t begin to imagine it…

dpduq on December 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Very sorry for your loss. God bless.

tru2tx on December 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Very sorry to read this Ed.

God Bless your Entire Family at this time.

ToddPA on December 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I’m so sorry to read of your loss. Prayers for all of you during this difficult time. She sounds like a wonderful woman and know that you will always have her in your hearts.

CoffeeLover on December 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

so sorry :(
but it sounds like you have some wonderful memories of her, small bit of solace I know.

dmacleo on December 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

GrannySunni on December 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Godspeed, Big Sis. We love you so much.

Any woman who would dress up as an elf on Christmas had to be utterly awesome.

May you and yours continue to feel Mary’s love for you too, Ed. And may God please hold you in the palm of His hand.

Opinionator on December 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Condolences, Ed. :(

quikstrike98 on December 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sounds like she was, in the best sense, a real character.
Condolences to you and the family, Ed.

verbaluce on December 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I share your sorrow. From what you wrote, she was a real pistol. Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family.

CiLH1 on December 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

So sorry to hear this news, Ed. Praying for you, your wife, and family as you grieve the loss of this lovely lady.

conservative pilgrim on December 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I’m sorry, Ed. God bless all of you.

NoPain on December 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Very sorry for your loss, Ed… This strikes a nerve with me, as I lost my Dad to lymphoma right before Thanksgiving a couple years back. I always feel his absence at the dinner table. Blessings to you and your family.

PointnClick on December 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM

She sounds like a really special person, Ed. My prayers for you and your wife, Mary’s family, and for the rest of your family during this time. God bless and thanks for sharing what a neat person that Mary is in your lives.

ted c on December 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Sounds like she left a real imprint on the family. Prayers and condolences to you and your grieving family.

portlandon on December 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Condolences and best wishes to you and your entire family.

Drained Brain on December 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Those who follow me on Twitter or on Facebook already know that my sister-in-law Mary Flesch Min passed away on Thursday morning after a year-long battle with lung cancer. She had fought bravely since being diagnosed in a coma last Christmas Eve, when the doctors thought she’d have no more than a month to live. Instead, she rebounded through chemo and a brave spirit, and perhaps had the best year of her life with her husband Roy. We had hoped she’d see another Christmas, which she loved, but she couldn’t quite make it.
========

Sad to hear that ED,

I lost my grandfather to lung cancer. He was diagnosed in August 1983,
and never made it to Christmas that year.

Gawd how I miss him!

canopfor on December 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My sincerest condolences.

bmmg39 on December 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Eternal rest grant unto Mary
May perpetual light shine upon her
May she rest in peace

talking_mouse on December 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Peace be with your family and may her winds always grace your hearts!

AshleyTKing on December 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

My prayers and condolences during his difficult time,Ed.

Mini-14 on December 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM