Green Room

DailyKos diarist: Wait, Obamacare is hurting students at my Ivy League school

posted at 11:22 am on November 21, 2013 by

This guy is no conservative.  Obviously.  Blindly following political slogans that turn out to be false really sucks — doesn’t it, Mike?

Liberal blogger and representative on the health care committee at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), turned to the liberal blog The Daily Kos, on Monday to decry the negative impact he says President Barack Obama’s signature health care law is having on grad students at his Ivy League school.   ”For us, at least in the college health insurance market, the ACA has truly been the ‘law of unintended consequences,’ wrote Micheal Convente on The Daily Kos,  on Monday.  ”[R]elying on marketing slogans, some of which turned out not to be so correct, is turning out to be problematic,” he lamented.  Convente said the “progressive” UPenn Student Health Insurance Advisory Committee (SHIAC), on which he serves, doesn’t mind funding artificial limbs or even gender reassignment surgery, but that forcing poor college students to pay for health care for children, which most don’t use, is becoming a burden.

Being an incurable ideologue, Convente insists that he still supports the law, even though it’s doing real harm to the people around him.  Good stuff.  What’s extra tasty about his sad-face post is that it’s attached to another DailyKos diary entry entitled, “Confessions of an Obamacare advocate with cancelled policy, facing 38 percent premium hike.”  Which is not to be confused with a separate ferocious DailyKos rant authored by an embittered Obamacare fan back in September (“what the hell kind of reform is this?”)  Since we’re on the subjects of dumped coverage and sticker shock, it had been awhile since I’d checked in on MyCancellation.com – but a Florida family’s plight caught my attention on Twitter just yesterday.  Thanks, Obamacare:

If you can’t read the fine print, I’ll translate:  This household’s existing health plan featured a $5,000 deductible with monthly premiums of $408.  That coverage has now been cancelled, thanks to the so-called Affordable Care Act.  The new “deal:” $671 per month in premiums with a deductible of $12,500.  And before you cry “anecdote,” do note that the list goes on and on.  And it’s going to get worse.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sorry about those downtwinkles, cupcake. Guess you better saddle up that unicorn and head off into the rainbow.
Btw, your tears nourish my garden of hate for you.

teacherman on November 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Apparently basic math is hard and stuff…..

as someone who is finishing his BA & planning on grad school (next fall) at the ripe old age of 27-I have found that basic mathematics is extremely hard for most non-engineer & business majors.

SgtSVJones on November 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Btw, your tears nourish my garden of hate for you.

teacherman on November 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM

This.

Also, his Twitter feed at the end of the shutdown is schaden-licious:

Like a boss. #SuckOnThatTeabaggers #GOPshutdown is over – and NOT happening again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1LOYh7zhwF0

Regarding the teabagging, he is cordially invited to assume the position.

RINO in Name Only on November 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I invite all these idiotic moronic humanoid rectums to go fornicate themselves.

Or get a noncurable disease and decrease the surplus population.

You bastards foisted this on us. Triumphantly, and unapologetic.

….Suffer. Slowly.

Hawkins1701 on November 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM

”For us, at least in the college health insurance market, the ACA has truly been the ‘law of unintended consequences,’ wrote Micheal Convente on The Daily Kos, on Monday.

Awwww?

Solution: Raise the voting age to 25. You mother-fu**ers are too stupid and short-sighted to make important decisions about public policy. I don’t blame the socialists who voted for this ignoramus President; I blame the 18-24 idiots who did this instead of going to the beach that day, or organizing a sock-hop at the college.

You are simply too stupid for us to allow you to impact other people’s lives.

Jaibones on November 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Jaibones on November 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Better yet, can we please go back to the days when you had to be a property owner (I’d be willing to expand that to business owners as well) in order to vote?

Most people don’t vote anyway, they wouldn’t miss it. Better to just lock out the moochers entirely and only allow those with skin in the game to affect policy.

wearyman on November 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I have to admit, as painful as this Obamacare scam is going to be on all of us, the pain is somewhat mitigated by watching dumbass rubes like Convente self-identify and start sobbing over their unexpected “mistreatment”. Cry, you little twit, cry hard, while I sip sweet schadenfreude.

RebeccaH on November 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

wearyman on November 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

That’s funny, I didn’t realize the government taking more than 1/3 of my paycheck didn’t qualify as me having skin in the game. I sort of feel like if I’m being taxed, that ought to entitle me to some representation. Yes, I’m certain that I read that somewhere, once.

RINO in Name Only on November 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Well… ivy league does like an expensive education.

Karmashock on November 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

When you’re 100% disabled on a fixed income and Medicare.. even with my wife working we don’t make all that much.. no complaints, we live frugally, don’t use credit for anything, and save to buy what we want.. I’m not happy about being on SSD, but when you’re in the lowest rung of the working class, your options are stark.

Obama’s 50 billion dollar cuts to Medicare Part B caused my, and many others medical payouts to increase 300%.. when your family income is about 41,000 a year, that hurts, enough that I’m forgoing some treatments..

The kids have to eat.. need clothes, shelter..

So when I read this,.. you can imagine my disgust with brainless in Ivy..

He simply did not care what the details were, who’d be screwed, or how badly, just some idiot my tribe won rah rah partisanship that ignored reality.. so now he discovers he is one of those evil middle Americans he hates so much for Obamacares purposes..

and suddenly, the light bulb goes off they weren’t just targeting republicans for higher taxes and he fantasied.

The entire ethic of the mindless left.. that they can have utopia, if only they can target the “right” tribe for persecution, middle America, republicans, conservatives.. those REALLY evil Tea Partiers..

You can see they really thought they were untouchable..

The eternal lesson of the sad sack socialist, there’s only room for a very small few in the ruling left’s class.. all else are peasants to be milked and skinned for hides.. even their koolaid chugging true believers.. especially them.. because there isn’t enough money for those at the top otherwise..

congratulations kid… here’s yer dunce cap.. wear it proudly.

mark81150 on November 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

RINO in Name Only on November 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Well, there is always the “You get a vote for every dollar you pay in taxes” plan. Complete with “You can always get more votes by paying extra taxes”.

Count to 10 on November 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

tell the fool to sit tight, this is only the beginning, worse to come assuredly. How’s it looking to you now fool, you thought the bad news is only for that class known as “other people”. Most of them surely voting Republican, who cares about them? But what LittleLeftists can’t see is that the disease called progressivism and it’s political fanatics don’t care who they hurt, the more the merrier. 3 1/2 years to go, the worst is yet to come.

arand on November 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The (un) Affordable and (un) Care (ing) Act

scruplesrx on November 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

He doesn’t want to pay for child insurance that he doesn’t use; well, I don’t want to pay for maternity care that I and my, ah, seasoned spouse will never use?

Suck it, dude. Welcome to your first glimpse of reality.

ss396 on November 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM

This is a good thing: young people recognizing their error.

It’s the old fools we have to really worry about – they appear to believe Obama nonsense long after the expiration date.

virgo on November 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Here’s what left wing nut Botox Pelosi said about the bill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE1R-xH5To. And her twin sister Mayonaise Head Debbie Wasserman Shultz Sh**head says: You’re damn right we are going to campaign on this bill that 80% of Americans are against.

tmgrant on November 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

The hard core left will believe that the only problem with Obama Care was that it didn’t go far enough. They need a National Socialist healthcare system that everyone will be forced into. There are enclaves where the Democrat politician only needs to get through the primary to be ensured election. In those areas only the rabid communism didn’t go far enough types win.

jpmn on November 27, 2013 at 5:50 AM