Green Room

Video: You’re sharing too much on the Internet

posted at 10:31 am on November 20, 2013 by

Via Time, further evidence that the NSA is basically unnecessary.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Meh, I don’t share nearly as much as my friend Carlos.

Gingotts on November 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I’m not even weirded out by the stuff they share as much as I am by the fact that they’re honestly shocked when he knows it. How thick do you have to be not to get what you yourself posted on the Internet?

Gingotts on November 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I tried quitting facebook last year and I got messages from my friends “where did you go? did you block me? I wanted to share photos with you but YOU WEREN’T THERE”. (Yes I’m a millennial) So less than 24 hours later I caved and rejoined.

Second look at deactivating my account? (or convincing my friends that phone/text/email are also viable communication tools)

I never cease to be amazed at what people will share on social media.

CityFish on November 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Gingotts on November 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

That’s the problem. Most people don’t think when they post stuff on the internet; they just do it.

Sterling Holobyte on November 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Have I told you people what I had for lunch today yet?

rihar on November 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I deleted all my info and quit FB and LinkedIn 2 years ago, mainly because of the new job I started. My wife says my name and portrait photo still show up on FB as a possible “friend”.
Once you’ve been in, its dam near impossible to extract yourself from the matrix….

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

blink on November 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We just had a mandatory cybersecurity training course (online) where I got 3 wrong quiz answers on a section about social networking. They had a list of personal information items and asked which ones you should NOT put out on social network sites. I picked ALL of them because I don’t do social networking any more, but they said 3 were wrong – implying that I SHOULD put those out there. Very poor training lseeon in my view – but that’s the gubmint for ya.

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

poor training lseeon lesson in my view – but that’s the gubmint for ya.

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

FIFM.
Dang keyboard is typing bad shiite…. – kinda like how I’ve heard peoples’ guns go out and shoot people by themselves…..
Hope my keyboard doesn’t team up with my guns…..

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Are these people idiots?
blink on November 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Short answer – YES.

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Via Time, further evidence that the NSA is basically unnecessary.

That’s a bit backward.
But it is further evidence that even what people incorrectly think that the NSA is doing to them is basically irrelevant compared to what they do to themselves.

Count to 10 on November 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

“I’ll call the police if you do that again.”

Yeah, idiot, because it’s illegal to find your check-in and surf the web about you.

blink on November 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I would have handed him my phone and said call them sport. I only briefly checked out LinkedIn when it first came out. I started hearing from all my former associates. Most of them I would rather have forgotten.

Had my account deleted and information purged. Just say NO to social media!

PakviRoti on November 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I was on FaceBook briefly a few years ago. Found I didn’t care for it and deleted my account.

There was a button that asked if I was sure I wanted to delete because all data would be permanently gone. I said yes and the account was deactivated.

Or so I thought.

A week later I thought I would test the system and tried to login again using the same username and password.

Imagine my surprise when all my old stuff re-appeared along with a “Welcome Back, We’ve Missed You” message that told me that they had carefully stored away all parts of my account just in case I ever wanted to re-join.

Moral: Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Be afraid. Zuckerman knows all.

sultanp on November 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I quit Facebook almost 2 years ago. Part of it was because of stuff like this, but I never ‘Checked in’ anywhere anyway. The main reason I stopped was because I started to realize that I liked the people I knew a lot less when I read the drivel they were spouting each day. Each and every day!

ConDem on November 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I missed the same questions the first time I did the new training. Funny that I didn’t score well because I was practicing higher security. (I also didn’t do well with the guy who steals your phone – my answer was to kick his butt, then call the police and the FBI (it’s a govt phone).)

GWB on November 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Moral: Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Be afraid. Zuckerman knows all.

sultanp on November 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

When you delete your account, there is a message that says that if you log back in within a certain time frame, your info will still be there.

You have delete the account, and then never log back in. Your info is deleted after about three weeks. I tried it, and then checked by creating a bogus account. Sure enough, all my info was gone.

PakviRoti on November 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

GWB on November 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Ya – I didn’t like that section either. First – he shouldn’t have left his cell phone out on the table where a passerby could grab it, while working on a laptop. Second I’d take down any @sshole who TRIED to grab any of my stuff off the table.
That whole training program was horrible – far too much negative training.

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

PakviRoti on November 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

But SOME of it NEVER goes away.
As I said earlier, my portrait photo and name still show up as a possible friend.

dentarthurdent on November 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

The only one that really concerned me (and I tell all my friends about it) is with Facebook messaging. If someone messages you, even a stranger and you respond to it on your phone, it will place your GPS location next to that message. If you’re at home, now that person knows exactly where you are. It’s a setting you can turn off, but a lot of people don’t have that turned off.

Whether I grabbed a drink with friends at some bar, or dinner at a restaurant, I don’t care. But could see how that above scenario could make some women very nervous.

nextgen_repub on November 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

birddog on November 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I only post here and at the Kerbal Space Program forum. A different name for each login. My email accounts don’t have any real information in them about me. Neither do the two accounts I post with. I use dumb Tracfone that doesn’t have any personal info attached to it and only a few people know my number. No GPS or any other fancy feature. I was on Linkedin while I was looking for a job but I have now entered all kinds of bogus info for my name.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM