Green Room

New way to settle neighborly disputes: cannon fire

posted at 4:31 pm on November 18, 2013 by

Well, here’s a  creative and historic way to settle a feud between neighbors.

Authorities say a western New York man has been charged with harassment for repeatedly firing an unloaded Civil War cannon at the homes of his neighbors.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office says 52-year-old Brian Malta fired the cannon at neighboring homes in the rural town of Kiantone, on the Pennsylvania border 60 miles south of Buffalo.

Deputies say the cannon was fired with only a powder charge and wadding. Police confiscated the cannon.

Officials say Malta had an ongoing dispute with his neighbors, but no details were released.

Where do you buy a cannon? At the cannon superstore of course.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The first time he pointed that thing at my house, I’d be making a pre-emptive shot with my AR – and it sure as he11 wouldn’t be powder only.
How am I supposed to know he’s only got powder in his weapon?

dentarthurdent on November 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Maybe he’s just an avid AC/DC fan saluting those of his neighbors who are about to rock.

Christien on November 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Christien on November 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Great line !

Jeff2161 on November 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

He just really, really liked the 1812 Overture. Playing it real loud. With an uncommonly authentic fervor. Even for a fan.

…and thought to share a bit with his neighbors.

How was he to know they were musical cretins?

davisbr on November 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

How am I supposed to know he’s only got powder in his weapon?

dentarthurdent on November 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I’d get a bigger cannon.

HiJack on November 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

You never ever point a gun at someone (and a cannon is really just a big gun.) Even if you know it’s unloaded. I have no patience for this crap.

rbj on November 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

lmao “The police confiscated the cannon”

alwaysfiredup on November 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

lmao “The police confiscated the cannon”

alwaysfiredup on November 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’ll bet they’re trying to figure out how to use it for no knock raids…

dentarthurdent on November 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Christien on November 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

IF that’s what he had in mind, I would have been willing to bring the stereo and beer and play a little air guitar while he fires the cannon.

Buuuuut, I don’t get the impression he was that much fun…

dentarthurdent on November 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Top Pick

“It would be catastrophic if the President were to fire the special counsel.”

“The blockade breached institutional values of freedom of expression and assembly.”

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”