Green Room

A tribute on Veterans Day [photo]

posted at 12:26 pm on November 11, 2013 by

I hope you guys don’t mind me sharing this photo today. The helmet I’m wearing is the same helmet my Grandpa John Pavlich wore during WWII while fighting the Japanese in the South Pacific. He served in the Army’s 158th Infantry unit, known as the Bushmasters. Fighting in the jungle, he came down with a severe case of malaria and was shipped off to Sydney, Australia for treatment. It was in an Australian hospital where my grandpa met my grandma, who took care of him as his nurse. They got married in Australia, he went back to fight and she moved to Arizona alone where she lived and waited for him. When he got home, that’s when they started a family by adopting my uncle and having two boys, including my dad, which eventually led to me.
 photo Screenshot2013-11-11at103749AM_zps9006a148.png
Happy Veterans Day to all who have served, are serving and who will serve in the future.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Wonderful story and great picture! Thanks for sharing.

Braveheart on November 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Your Grandpa would be proud of how you have carried the flag of liberty

stevo on November 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I see he was a lieutenant.You should be proud of your Grandpa.

celtic warrior on November 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Great story Katie, and THANK YOU veterans!

rbj on November 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Thank you Katie! What a great tribute!

dominigan on November 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I was lucky enough to get my fathers footlocker, a few uniforms, medals, helmet, etc. Passed them along to my 24 year old son who has them proudly displayed. I still have the Luger and K98 he kept from the German soldier he shot that was killing his communications techs as they laid phone lines to the front. Most of the stories I heard much later in his life and mine, but I think about it from time to time and miss him.

faol on November 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

awww cute

ted c on November 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Lovely.

Bmore on November 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Katie, you should be proud. I’d like to thank:

Grandpa
Dad
Uncle Ben, Double Silver Star, Double Purple Heart, Prisoner of War, Christian Missionary
Uncle Bill
Uncle Jim
Uncle Mort
Uncle Dave
Uncle Maynard
Uncle Pete
My nephew Kevin
My niece Leslie
My cousin Eric (RIP-I’ll see you on the high ground)

Patriots all.

Bigurn on November 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

God bless our servicemen, and their families, for their sacrifice. Great story, Katie, thanks for sharing…

lovingmyUSA on November 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Beautiful story!

God loves adoption! (He does it all the time!) No wonder you turned out conservative. :)

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I kinda have mixed feelings about Veteran’s Day, because guys like me who just wore the uniform during four years of peacetime (1980-84) are lumped together with heroes who fought bravely in times of war.
The latter are far more worthy of honor.

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and God Bless all our veterans.

Keep up the good fight!

Opposite Day on November 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

D’awww.

Jeddite on November 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM

These kind of stories are always worth reading.

Thanks for posting it, Katie.

BTW, how old (or young) are you in the photo?

listens2glenn on November 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

…thank you Katie!

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Best post I’ve read in a long time. Thank you.

El_Terrible on November 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM

HOOAH!!!

RealMc on November 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM

itsnotaboutme :: Everyone who went to the Recruiting Station and raised their right hand, and took that oath, is a hero. Always remember that the people on the USS Cole didn’t know they were about to die; they were on a peaceful mission :: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/famous-cases/uss-cole

Frank_D on November 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

A wonderful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

onlineanalyst on November 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

WOW! A thousand thank youze. I am uplifted.

To all those veteran-heros of all our conflicts who remain unknown to most of us, God bless you!

And to the relatives of those now deceased heroes, know that there are many millions of us who hold them in absolute awe.

BLOC on November 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM

The latter are far more worthy of honor.

itsnotaboutme on November 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Over the years I’ve heard this many,many times. I’ve heard it from people who sat alone in frigid radar stations in places like Greenland and Alaska, from airmen who serviced the planes that pilots took into combat, from sailors who merely sat in submarines and patrolled around at 4 or 5 knots for three months at a time. I’ve got only one thing to say to all of that…BULLSHIT! You wore the uniform, you were willing to lay it all on the line. No matter where you served or what you did you damn well did it and you did it well! You deserve this day and this honor. It’s not about what job you did it’s about the fact that you were willing to do the job whatever it was. Thanks for your service and welcome home.

Oldnuke on November 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM

WOW..Thank You for sharing…you made my day…that is all…

nchammer on November 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

And a big salute also to all of those guys like lead bombardier Nick Reid, who flew 25 missions on a B-24 Liberator with the Army Air Force — 15th Army Air Force, 484th Bomb Group, 825th Squadron — out of Torretta airfield in Cerignola, in southern Italy over the last several months of the war in Europe. He was prepared to then be sent to the Pacific when the Second World War came to a decisive end.

Each day, fewer and fewer of our WWII veterans are still with us to honor their service. But the debt of gratitude we owe them is still immeasurable.

Trochilus on November 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM