Green Room

“This whole experience has converted a lifelong Democrat into a foot soldier for the Republican Party”

posted at 11:21 am on November 5, 2013 by

Hey look, a not terrible unintended consequence of Obamacare:

Bill Fullner has reached his breaking point. It started with the letter from his health-insurance company informing him it was canceling his plan and offering him a new one that’s nearly twice as expensive. Then the 60-year-old retiree from Mount Vernon heard about more people like himself with canceled plans and soaring premiums. Finally, he spent hours on the phone and computer trying — and failing — to find a new option that he likes. “This whole experience has converted a lifelong Democrat into a foot soldier for the Republican Party,” Fullner said. He’s not alone in his frustration. In Washington, most of the 290,000 people covered by insurance plans they purchased on the individual market received letters this fall telling them that their plans are going away…That’s left Fuller and many others feeling blindsided. They — and Republican leaders opposed to the Affordable Care Act — are now calling a pledge made by President Obama as he lobbied for the law a betrayal. “Obama stated that if we were happy with an insurance plan that we currently had, we would be able to keep it,” Fullner said in an email. “I feel that the president, who I greatly admired and supported, has lied to the public.”

And he’s not done lying, either:

Flat. Out. Lie.  Although galvanizing new Republican converts clearly was not one of the White House’s goals in foisting Obamacare upon the country, dropped coverage and rising costs for many actually were.  Team O couldn’t say that out loud, of course, but without those intended consequences in full swing, the law collapses.   That’s reality.  Meanwhile, back in Fantasy Land…

Again, demonstrably false, on both an empirical and anecdotal level — with more pain on the way for a lot more people.  By all means, keep talkin’, champ.

UPDATE – See?  Everyone’s better off!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

He converted to the GOPe. Ho-hum.

If he actually became a conservative fighting both the Dems and the Socialist RINOs, I would actually be impressed.

Myron Falwell on November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

He converted to the GOPe. Ho-hum.

Myron Falwell on November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This might be the first step. Reality bites and he got bitten.

thebrokenrattle on November 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Blacks and Hispanics will never desert the Dem party because they’re Santa Claus.

neyney on November 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Let’s not forget to thank the SCOTUS, in particular John Roberts, for this new debacle they helped sign into law.

Cherokee on November 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Myron Falwell on November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

He’s not, and he won’t:

“I feel that…

I ‘feel’ for poor & sick people too. And then I try and apply logic and experience to determine what the best course of action is. And when I suspect somebody is lying, I do not check my feelings to make a determination. I suspect you do as well.

Fenris on November 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

^I meant, you don’t either. Or something.

Fenris on November 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, if disenchanted Democrat voters don’t join the conservative movement full stop, then screw ‘em! Who needs ‘em anyway?

Guy Benson on November 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

While the above is likely true, NO ONE is addressing the basic property of this crap sandwich, i.e. the loss of freedom. We have a tyrannical government destroying contracts between adult citizens without an outcry from the public nor their “representatives”.

This is the root problem, the rest is just b.s.

NEVER should the word “mandate” be used in a republic.

We’re done.

FOWG1 on November 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

He converted my wife in 08 to republican voting independent..

She was never political, supported Hillary purely because she wanted a woman president, and was bitterly resentful in how Obama twisted the truth to take the nomination.. then, true to form, she was happy Palin was nominated the VP candidate..

and saw what liberal feminists do to a conservative woman..

That cemented her vote forever.. not conservative so much as anti-liberal.. but that’ll do, still my wife, and still my best friend, only love, and life long partner..

she’s moving the right way, and it wasn’t me, so much as what they did to people she admired..

mark81150 on November 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This is an important moment for conservatives. People are doubting the liberal myths. It’s time to welcome them to a new way of thinking, and help them understand what being a conservative is all about.

Or, we can leave them alone and let the Libs win them back with their next ridiculous scheme.

hawksruleva on November 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

neyney on November 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Both groups have elements in their social makeup that would make them ripe for conservatives. But all they hear is pap from the organizers in their communities, and too often we don’t give them any other option.

If we could get our message through to them, many would embrace that message, and the Democrats would be a fringe party. Even if we only won over 20% of black voters, that would cause a huge pain for the Democrats.

hawksruleva on November 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Useful idiots waking up from their progressive dreams!! Pure and 100% Schadenfreude.

Deano1952 on November 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Iceberg tip I’m think’n. What carpenters used to call “all fall”. With all the military brass turnover, get the feeling B’s worked up major(general) bad blood? NSA’d oodles of negative scuttlebutt he just can’t seem to nip fast enough maybe?
Well pensioned pentagon princes rarely challenge the grain, but if being tyrannical gets you arrested by the very military you were promised command of, I suppose it could be regarded as an “unintended consequence” but only by the very dumb.
Do they have a policy for that? I’m bet’n B’s working on a special exemption.

onomo on November 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

This is a golden opportunity to explain conservative principles to these individuals and show them what they actually believe lines up with said principles

Imrahil on November 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Obama still winning friends and influencing peeps I see.

txhsmom on November 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Guy Benson on November 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

..sarc tag missing, Guy?

The War Planner on November 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Pure and 100% Schadenfreude.

Deano1952 on November 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

..and that ain’t Beluga caviar, old son!

The War Planner on November 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

hawksruleva on November 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yes, and if we can hang on to the 30-40% of Hispanics we often get, we’ll do ok too. I recently saw a statement that I don’t know for sure is true, but it make sense: when Hispanics make over $30,000 they start leaning more Repub. It’s in the Repubs’ best interest to see that Hispanics do well, but it’s better for the Dems if Hispanics stay in poverty.

juliesa on November 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Cherokee on November 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

So do we think Roberts was threatened or rewarded for his Obamacare decision?

ctmom on November 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Expecting parents being forced into new health plan now have a deductible 3Xs the amt of old, $10,000 #mycancellation

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Signed,
Barack “Scrooge” Obama

MichaelGabriel on November 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If I were these expecting parents, I’d be considering induced labor around December 29th.

Just to be sure.

Bitter Clinger on November 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Or as McCain would say, a whacko bird hatchling.

Akzed on November 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

GB says, “By all means, keep talkin’, champ.” I concur…Preezy Choom can’t shut himself up while (pathetically) trying to defend himself, and that’s a good thing for all of us – let’s give him more opportunity and encouragement, ok, GOP leadership? :)

Anti-Control on November 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Who needs ‘em anyway?

Guy Benson on November 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

The Whigs?

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

He converted to the GOPe. Ho-hum.

Myron Falwell on November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This might be the first step. Reality bites and he got bitten.

thebrokenrattle on November 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You’ve got to start somewhere. Just help keep them pointed in the RIGHT direction.

“A wise man’s heart is at his RIGHT hand, but a fool’s heart at his LEFT” (Ecclesiastes 10:2)

oldleprechaun on November 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

The Whigs?

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Nah, new, and I quote,”foot soldiers for the Republican Party”

thebrokenrattle on November 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I am one of the Washington State victims of ACA.

The thing is… it felt like you would still have a choice. It didn’t seem like the 2009 passing of the law was a deadline and a point at which you even had to worry about. People are acting like it was that date that was clear as well.

It felt like he was saying, we aren’t going to force the kind of insurance, we are going to offer more choices, not less and the government choice will be competitive with what was in the market in 2009.

But even the ones calling him a liar are too narrowly parsing his words.

I thought as long as I had a legal insurance policy, I could keep it, and the government plan didn’t matter to me in the least.

But what really happened was that they want me to buy stuff they think is right, not sinful, and if not they will fine me.

And I have not got the choice to choose insurance that doesn’t comply. It is not available at any price.

The lie is so much bigger than even the most honest reports are reporting.

petunia on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

But even the ones calling him a liar are too narrowly parsing his words.

petunia on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Is this some kind of satire, or are you actually as pathetic as you look?

Anti-Control on November 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Then the 60-year-old retiree…

“This whole experience has converted a lifelong Democrat into a foot soldier for the Republican Party,” …

You’re sixty years old and fell for that?
Please soldier, don’t join us – stay where you are.

Tsar of Earth on November 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Progressively share the misery. Don’t worry, it’ll get worse. Lots a dummies in the USA; but I gota believe they’ll begin to come around.

StevC on November 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

He converted to the GOPe. Ho-hum.

Myron Falwell on November 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

One step at a time.
He learned the truth about democrats. His next step will be to learn the truth about what a RINO is. It is not too long of a stretch between the two.

Sterling Holobyte on November 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Well, if we’re going to have people jump ship to the GOP, you couldn’t have picked a better day, especially in VIRGINIA.

Rixon on November 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Cherokee on November 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Stop blaming Roberts. The American people are the ones who elected and re-elected the REB, and if he had ruled otherwise, we’d still be hearing pissing and moaning about all the rayciss crackas on the Supreme Court.

We should have fixed this in November 2012, but unfortunately we couldn’t muster a big enough army.

Maddie on November 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

So this guy is going to abandon every core conviction he holds simply because some Democrat lied to him?

I don’t buy it.

He’s just mad. He’ll get over it and go back to voting for socialists the minute some republican gives him a reason.

I remember all those “2008 Obama voter converts” from 2012 who were supposedly switching parties. We saw how that worked out.

SAMinVA on November 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

petunia on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

You do know that is why Cruz made one last effort to defund, right? Cause an awful lot of the GOPe was against Cruz. Still are. Guess what? 0Care is the law of the land. Single Payer bound babies!

Bmore on November 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

So where is the Republican brain trust (I use that term very loosely based on past performance)? If there ever was a crisis not waste, this is it for the right.

Conservatives were right in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 on Obamacare. They have voted a gazillion times in the House to stop it. Cruz and Mike Lee were mocked for standing up against it…but maybe some folks getting whacked by Obamacare will reconsider the pablum and vitriol the MSM ladled out a month ago.

Where are the national ads about the 77 bills passed by the House on healthcare, jobs and other topics but deep-sixed by Harry Reid. PROVE THAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE OTHER WAYS TO ADDRESS ISSUES!!!

Encourage people with employer based health care plans to log into the web sites and see what is heading down the tracks toward them in January 2015. I did and over the next five years my cumulative out of pocket health care costs (premiums, co-pays and deductibles) as calculated by CoveredCalifornia Obamacare web site will soar from roughly $12,500 under our existing employer based plan for me and my wife to $115,000 under an Obamacare bronze plan (with $0 subsidies allowed).

If Republicans can’t make political headway out of this crap sandwich, then they are terminally hopeless. Getting the RINOs to stop the circular firing squad may just prove to be too big of a job for party leadership (and I use that term loosely, too).

in_awe on November 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Sorry, I misspoke – my teleprompter hiccupped.

5 year out of pocket totals
Bronze range: $75,410 – $95,835
Platinum range: $90,145 – $119,050

THAT my friends is not insurance coverage, that is wealth transfer plain and simple.

in_awe on November 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Welcome to the fight, Bill. See if you can flip some of your friends.

teacherman on November 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

That’s some defense of Obamacare: that they didn’t foresee any unintended consequences, and what they say the libs–soo good at governance can deliver is only valid if everybody does they want them to do.

But of course, this is 180 degrees out of step with the experiential definition Pelosi gave it. We had to pass it to see what was in it. Thus whatever happened as a result was in it. Now, the lying class is saying that the only things that are in were the express provisions!

If that were the case, we should have been able to know what was in it by the express language in the bill, which was a lot of kicking the can down the road, shrugging and passing discretion to the Secretary of HHS.

It’s funny that conservatives are often warning libs about the Law of Unintended Consequences and the best excuse libs can come up with is that they didn’t intend these things to happen!

Axeman on November 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

His first mistake was being a foot soldier, not a leader.

The Nerve on November 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM

neyney on November 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

People can deny and hide from this all they want. It’s true. When we’re just like the third-world sewers they left, it will still be someone elses’ fault.

98ZJUSMC on November 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I feel bad for the expectant parents unless this is something like his third child. The odds of a first time mother giving birth earlier than her due date is darn near nil. The odds of her giving birth late, pretty much expected.

As to the lies surrounding this, I don’t know about him becoming a republican, but perhaps this might be the beginning of the cure of his obvious naivete. Anyone with a clue that was paying attention knew that this whole thing was hockum.

GeeWhiz on November 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Mrs. Fullner needs to ask her husband’s insurance company how much the old plan will reimburse for a C-section around Christmas!

Steve Z on November 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

lifelong Democrat into a foot soldier for the Republican Party

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

“I give’n up crack and switching to crystal meth”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Like most clueless liberal voters, Bill’s revaluation comes only after he takes a personal hit. It’s like when they’re for wind energy, but won’t tolerate a wind turbine within sight of their property. I’m glad that Bill has converted (or so he says), but I’m guessing that he’ll go right back to voting for liberals in the future. While I don’t want to see anyone suffer, Bill did vote for his problem.

cajunpatriot on November 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We should have fixed this in November 2012, but unfortunately we our squishy nominee couldn’t muster a big enough army.

Maddie on November 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Fixed.

Kafir on November 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

The lie is so much bigger than even the most honest reports are reporting.

petunia on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I used to be the kind of person this law was intended to help. I had an insurance policy, but it only covered the basics. When my daughter needed an appendectomy, I was left with a huge bill I could not pay.

I don’t think I could have afforded the plans on Øbamacare. What would have helped me would have been if I had been able to purchase a simple hospitalization plan and paired that with an HSA. Unfortunately, such plans are not available in my state.

Kafir on November 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM