Green Room

“…But you don’t even have a gallbladder.”

posted at 1:09 pm on November 5, 2013 by

I have a feeling we’re all going to need a little palate-cleanser — preferably one selected from the “hilariously adorable” category — before the day is over, and this definitely fits the bill.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

@Panther – yeah, because the guy who had to tell his children their mother was murdered is clearly the crazy babbling idiot on this thread.

You broke the first rule of trolling: do not choose a sympathetic poster to pick on.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

For starters…

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

You could learn from Darth if you weren’t so busy trying to get us to believe you’re a real man (and not some “Nancy girl”). Uh huh. You are like one of those persistent, little drunk guys that keep trying to prove they are tough by getting the big dude at the bar to eventually beat them senseless… *poke, poke, poke*

Whatever. Not my fight. Peace out, kitten.

Fallon on November 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Have you ever heard of false equivalence? Playing a prank on your kids does not equal telling children their mother is dead. Sorry, that is a liberal trick. Not buying it at all.

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Have you ever heard of misdirection?

[quote]Playing a prank on your kids does not equal telling children their mother is dead.[/quote]

Yeah, which is why I…never said anything like that.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Sigh. Wrong code.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

When you must tell your children things that you know will make them cry is difficult.

Telling your children things in order to make them cry for Jimmy Kimmel’s audience is despicable.

I realize now I probably shouldn’t have shared my own story on a public venue. I had a Xavierian teacher in high school who said “There are birds in the deserts of Peru that drink the tears of other animals for their sustenance – - and you’ll find out there are people in life who do the same thing.” I understand more about what he was getting at with stuff like this.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

@Darth – I think what you said was exactly right for bringing some much-needed sobriety to the discussion. However, you may want to be more cautious in the future when sharing here, as I learned the hard way that there are many tear-drinking birds in the HA desert.

I wish every possible blessing on you and your little ones.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I realize now I probably shouldn’t have shared my own story on a public venue. I had a Xavierian teacher in high school who said “There are birds in the deserts of Peru that drink the tears of other animals for their sustenance – – and you’ll find out there are people in life who do the same thing.” I understand more about what he was getting at with stuff like this.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

For the love of god, no one is drinking your tears of sorrow.

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

How about some perspective:

It’s HALLOWEEN CANDY that was just handed to them for no other reason than they showed up.

Good grief, the hand-wringing on this thread is more cringe inducing than the damn video.

somewhatconcerned on November 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

bhaaaaaaaaaaa..

Some of they were hilarious or really cute.

Good Lord, some people need to lighten up.

bazil9 on November 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

The well-mannered black girl. I want to adopt her as my family’s Life Coach. We could learn a lot from her. I wish her parents would write a How To book.

Tsar of Earth on November 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM

So I am guessing that nobody here has pulled little pranks or tricked their kids? Thrown cold water on them in the shower, pulled their thumb off, cracked their nose? When they come to you with a hurt finger or foot you never said you’re going to just cut it off so it doesn’t hurt anymore?

Oh I can’t wait till you uptight people tell your kids that there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, (or Queen of England). The crying, the disappointment, the trust is now broken…..

What horrible, terrible, parents you are!!, Just think of all the emotional distress and the therapy bills. Its like their world is crashing down around them and they will hate you forever.

Do you people hear yourselves? It’s a joke about Halloween candy and you ate it, BFD. Now is good time to be testing out how your kids react, correct their behavior and let them realize how to handle situations so they can handle real issues later. You better believe that if my kids threw a tantrum it would have been a learning lesson on how to react and if this was something that important.

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’m another one that doesn’t see what’s funny about inflicting emotional distress on little kids just for amusement.

DarkCurrent on November 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I imagine these parents have heard their kids crying for every little thing. I recall my dad saying, “Stop crying or I’ll give you something to cry about.” Odd. I never did understand that.

He meant it too. Whatever I was on about annoyed him. Big time. And I did choke it back. Whatever it was. Some unfairness, no doubt.

I see this as parents having fun with their kids. It’s great. The ups and downs, the trick or treat of it. I love every single one. They’re so emotionally flexible.

But most interesting of all are the doubles. The younger one always takes their clues from the senior child. Seeing oneself in that is weird. In one case actually gauging how far melodramatically to take it. The brother and sister pairs all do the same thing. The “thumbs up” at the end is priceless. The older brother still sobbing for show head buried in his arms but the younger one head up and alert, no longer taking his clues from his brother, aligned himself with the parent instead. That is worth the price of admission right there. Having that recorded is amazing. They’re going to love this later. These kids are great. Every one of them is beautiful.

bour3 on November 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Could only handle 30 seconds. Why do I want to watch a video of kids crying? Kimmel thinks this is funny? HA thinks this is a palate cleanser? Ugh.

Galtian on November 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Galtian on November 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Exactly.

nico on November 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This would only be funny if the person you’re pranking has the physical strength to let you know exactly how funny they found the joke.

If it’s truly funny to them, you’re good. If not, aside from the facial fractures, you’ve discovered an important boundary in human relationships; what’s more valuable than that? Fractures heal, sissy.

Seriously. Try this prank by, oh, say, telling people they’re fired. Ha! Hey clown nose on, only joking. Tell the MMA guy down the street you banged his wife. Hilarious! Why would no person do either of these things? Because you’d die by trial lawyer or, if you’re luckier, just a snapped neck. But kids aren’t going to retaliate against the parents they love and trust, so they have to just take it.

For those of you who think kids “bounce back”, I’ve done counseling with adults still stuck over trauma like this they received as children. It’s not cool.

TexasDan on November 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The kids are cute. But I don’t like this at all.

I would never do this to my kids. (Now in their early twenties. ) Trust is the most important thing. They had to know that from me, they would always get the truth, and they could always rely on that. This is especially important when kids are little!

(Not to mention I wouldn’t want to make them cry on purpose. )

As a result, as adults, they still know they can trust and rely on me today, even if the rest of the world, or others in it, are sometimes confusing, devious, or hurtful. This is of infinite value to our relationship, and it has always given me great pleasure to provide this isle of certainty for them.

The kids in the video are entirely too young for this sort of prank.

Alana on November 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The most chilling example of this was the girl who said “Okay” through her tears, then as she headed back to her cereal choked out a “Thank you.” I mean, my God. The poor baby.

Sure, Kimmel plays this for laughs and easy content, but I wonder if he’s not also skewering the idiot parents who did it.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Last time I checked the Queen was still in good health and was in fact a real human being. Parents can make decisions about whether to encourage belief in fantasy characters or not. But to think that purposely making a kid cry or tricking them and then laughing at them is okay? Wow.

Is Obama sitting in the family quarters pointing and laughing at all of those who believed him? I guess he’s in good company.

2L8 on November 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Yes. It’s the very fact that the parents did this for Jimmy Kimmel’s approval that makes it disgusting. A commenter above is worried that those of us who think this prank is a jerk move are raising coddled children. I tease my kids, sometimes too hard, all the time. I tease their friends the same way when they come over. But I don’t make them cry, and I don’t film it for a national audience.

TexasDan on November 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I’m with you. BLOWHARDS up in this comment thread. If your kids can’t bounce back from 10 seconds of the thought they’ve lost their piddling candy, then there’s something wrong. And, these kids will turn out fine; they’re not psychically damaged. They’re not that fragile, and the immediate turn-arounds in these clips show many of them are being melodramatic to begin with. Thanks for posting, Erika!

Mary Katharine Ham on November 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Someone needs to look up the definition of Blowhard.

Has nothing to do with the psyche of the kids. My wife works with abused kids and their resiliency is astounding.

I joke with my kids all the time, but it is spontaneous. Never once have gotten my marching orders from white trash entertainment like Kimmel, stayed awake all night thinking how I could get them the best, then setup a camera to film the entire thing and post it on the internet.

My problem is adults that feel the need to get their fifteen minutes of fame by setting up their kids like this and the warped freaks that enjoy it. You feel like a badass watching adults picking on kids?

So let me reiterate because I know the supposed adults on here will come back with me being an over-protective parent. No, it is about the so called adults who take to time to create the “entertainment” just for the chance to get on TV or web hits.

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Mary Katherine: Don’t do this to your child. When she needs an inoculation, she needs to know from you how much it will hurt, and for how long. “Yes, it will hurt, but not tremendously. And it won’t take long, probably less than 10 seconds. Plus you might be a little sore afterwards.”

Do you see what I mean?

If she knows she can trust in you to the absolute best of your knowledge, that is a precious gift to her, and will serve you both well in all the years to come. (And teaches honesty.)

This sort of stunt goes beyond the bounds of harmless family play.

Alana on November 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Erika probably got a good laugh out of the ‘kill everyone in China’ gag too

DarkCurrent on November 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Sorry folks, your trying to equate this to “hey Johnny, go ahead and jump off the diving board, I’ll catch you” and then when they do jump you swim away and leave them, and its not even in the same ballpark.

For those of you up in arms about this, you probably did more emotional trauma to your kids by running them through the gauntlet of ghost and ghouls on Halloween than these people in the video telling them they ate their candy.

Has anyone ever jumped out from behind a door and scared their kids? Whats the difference from the kids point of view whether it is recorded or not, they don’t care.

I’ll concede that if your only intention of doing something like this is to get on TV, then yes the parents need to grow up but to say this rises to breaking trust and all the other non-sense you all are spouting, sorry it doesn’t fly in my book. Have fun with your kids, eat some of their candy.

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

2L8 on November 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

*sigh* Its from a kids movie. Lighten up Francis.

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Sorry, I haven’t seen a kid’s movie since Kung Fu Panda which had a lot of pretty pictures. And my kids did enjoy believing in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. In fact, my 20 year old son still believes in Santa, or so he tells me, because that way he gets gifts under the Christmas tree.

2L8 on November 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Not all spouting, so no need to lie. I know you are embarrassed for getting off on sh1t like this, but spare us the parental lectures. You probably loved his videos where parents gave their kids broccoli for Christmas and let the joke go on for minutes so they could get it all on film all for the god of entertainment.

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Sorry, my palate is not cleansed. I can’t help thinking that our children will soon realize that we and this government have indeed eaten all their Halloween candy, i.e. their future and the fruit of all their efforts. I can’t laugh that off.

flataffect on November 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

As if the cruel deception known as Santa isn’t traumatic enough!

The melodrama. Sheesh.

nico on November 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yup. Somehow an adult making a four year old cry for no reason just doesn’t seem the great accomplishment that some people believe it to be.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Galtian on November 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Exactly.

nico on November 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Ditto.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Try comprehending what I wrote, you seem like a smart guy, I could be wrong though. I don’t “get off” on watching videos like this, but I do find them amusing for the fact that at some time in the past my kids have thrown tantrums like that for some reason or another. I use them as teaching moments, other people, as you said, use it for their 15 minutes of fame.

Now had you read my comment closely you would see that I tend to agree with you that the parents who do this need to grow up but there not causing long term ill effects.

tommer74 on November 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

To torment your own children for the sake of getting momentary fame on a late-night show is depraved, immature, selfish, and cruel.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Surpassed only by the people who orchestrate bare-hiney pictures of their kids in an attempt to win $100,000 on America’s Funniest Home Videos. Ew.

Friendly practical jokes are fine, but the victim of a prank should never be distraught or crying. To us, it’s just a bag of candy, and yeah, there are way more important things to get upset about; to a seven-year-old, who doesn’t know anything about faulty transmissions or missed promotions, they’re a big deal, at least for about a month per year.

bmmg39 on November 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

bmmg39 on November 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I have no idea why alleged adults would, at the demand of some latenight leftist – be it Stewart. Maher, Kimmel, whomever, ruin their children’s holidays. Kimmel also orders the dimwits to emotionally torment their children on Christmas – and some morons even comply. Hopefully, they might wise up when the kids have to go into expensive psychotherapy a few years down the road.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on November 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

As someone has said, please don’t destroy little Bacon Bit’s holidays just to follow some latenight leftist’s command. Or for any other reason, for that matter.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

2L8 on November 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Pranking your own offspring = something about Obama?

Yeah, ok.

Spliff Menendez on November 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Pranking your own offspring = something about Obama?
Yeah, ok.
Spliff Menendez on November 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

The equation escapes me too. But we’re not about adults “pranking” one another or teenagers TPing a tree. We’re talking about adults intentionally making 4 year old children cry and ruining their holidays for no reason at all – that’s a whole ‘nother matter.

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Pranking your own offspring = something about Obama?

Yeah, ok.

Spliff Menendez on November 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

If you like your candy, you can keep your candy.

I can kind of relate to how those kids felt. My father and older brothers never ate ALL the candy, though… just the best pieces.

malclave on November 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

malclave on November 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Then there’s the Tom Sayer-esque trading. “Here’s a wonderful, yummy apple for your Snickers bar. Trade?”

whatcat on November 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I always ate all my kids’ Halloween candy. They like the Trick or Treating but didn’t really care for candy. They still don’t eat candy. Weird kids.

schmuck281 on November 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

schmuck281 on November 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Besides the general fun of trick or treating, there was also some pride in bringing home the most loot.

whatcat on November 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM

ClassicCon on November 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Holier > Thou

Panther on November 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I doubt these children were permanently harmed, as there are hysterics every Halloween, when you take away the majority of the candy, to only allow reasonable consumption or you tell one child to share with another, etc. Both my father and maternal grandfather were terrible teases, so perhaps I’m just used to it. My grandfather once dyed mashed potatoes with beet juice and served it to my brother on an ice cream cone; he not only got over it, but adored him his whole life.

However, taping it for other peoples’ entertainment seems to remove the light teasing element. What made me cringe the most was the rude responses of most of the kids.

Madisonian on November 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Madisonian on November 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Not surprising, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Thoughtless parents bring up thoughtless children.

whatcat on November 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The parents of these kids had them as props to make themselves appear human.

lilacs on November 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I had to tell my children their mother was murdered at work.

Making your own children cry is NOT funny.

DarthBrooks on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

So sorry for your loss, and for your kids’ loss. You have my sympathy.

lilacs on November 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Wait until the kids find out what grandma and granddad did with their future earnings.

“It’s the Great Grandparents, Charlie Brown”

“I got Social Security”
“I got free healthcare”
“I got a welfare state”
“I got a rock crushing government debt, a broke government with bad credit, a stagnant economy, no job prospects and no safety net.”

29Victor on November 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I keep hoping Jimmy Kimmel will pop out and tell me that Terry McAuliffe’s election is just a prank.

bmmg39 on November 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM