Green Room

“…But you don’t even have a gallbladder.”

posted at 1:09 pm on November 5, 2013 by

I have a feeling we’re all going to need a little palate-cleanser — preferably one selected from the “hilariously adorable” category — before the day is over, and this definitely fits the bill.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

93 million people look like these kids after they got their insurance cancellation notices.

faraway on November 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I have a good sense of humor but I really don’t like these… Parents aren’t supposed to purposefully mess up their kids. Trust is a fragile thing. And, to record the reactions add to the kids’ humiliation.

We already have a liar in the White House. Shouldn’t parents better than this?

Fallon on November 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Yeah, I never really got why people think this sort of stuff is funny. You’re going to have to say enough bad things to your kids in life, stuff that can’t be taken back, without adding to it for a joke.

Rocks on November 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Calvin’s dad knew how to do it right.

Flange on November 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I agree with the last two comments. Lying to your kids and making them feel horrible so that you can try to get your 15 minutes of fame on some lame TV show? I don’t see what’s funny about these at all, and I’m rather disappointed, Erika, that you think this qualifies as a “palate cleanser.”

Shump on November 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I also would never describe this as “hilarious.” Better would be: mean, harsh, cruel, sadistic (“ha ha, look at those kids crying”). Hardly a palate cleanser!
Children are precious- I sure miss mine- all growed up!

3dpuzzman on November 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Rocks on November 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I’m with ya on that.

This is just another case of the parents seeking attention by acting like d!cks.

UltimateBob on November 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s not just they lying – how can you live with making your kid cry? It’s like that woman whose baby started weeping buckets whenever the mom sang. Everybody thought it was so touching and sweet and I was all “You did this on purpose and recorded it knowing it would make your kid cry?”

mrsknightley on November 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Obama to Americans: “If you like yoh [Halloween candy], you can keep yoh [Halloween candy].”

Too bad, before Obama’s out of office, his promise won’t extend only to health care plans, health insurance, doctors, and Halloween candy.

BuckeyeSam on November 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I think at least two kids got the better of the parent(s). The little black girl who said it was okay and said thank your for being about to go back to eating her cereal must have made her mom feel like a heel. And then the one kid who told mom that [mom] should eat the healthy stuff because [mom's] fat.

BuckeyeSam on November 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I had to tell my children their mother was murdered at work.

Making your own children cry is NOT funny.

DarthBrooks on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I watched some with the volume down, but some of the responses seemed pretty violent and disrespectful to me.
Of course, considering these ‘parents’ are purposely pranking (lying to) and recording their kids in an effort to get a momentary semblance of fame, they probably deserve whatever the kids dish out.

Marcola on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

At first glance I thought this might be funny. But after watching the first couple of clips I couldn’t take it. It’s just cruel, mean for no reason. I was really hoping that when one of the kids got mad they’d break something that these “parents” would have to spend a buttload to repair/replace, would serve them right.

TXChas on November 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Well, this thread took an unexpected Nancy girl spin pretty quick.

Panther on November 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Hey kids, remember that feeling of anger at having something you worked for taken away by the authorities. You’re going to feel it again when you get your first paycheck and again when you pay your taxes for the first time.

Kafir on November 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I’m sorry, I disagree with all of you. It really was in jest and all the kids got their candy back. I would never record my kids horror, but my husband and I play Govt. every year with the Halloween candy. We take half, they are pissed, but we save money at the dentist and they get to eat the candy throughout the winter months. It is harmless. Also a valuable lesson in taxation!

JAM on November 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hard to say who’s most immature here–the kids or the parents. At least the kids have an excuse.

SacredFire on November 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

JAM on November 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You are honest about what you are doing and do not crush their emotions in the process. Nor do you record their reactions and send them to a late night TV show for the nation to watch. There is a world of difference between what you are doing, and what these scumbag parents — and yes, I choose that word deliberately — are doing.

I can’t even bring myself to watch the video, and it pisses me off just thinking about it.

Shump on November 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM

And people wonder where kids learn to bully.

2L8 on November 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Me and Solomon are with the kids. It’s not funny. Jimmy Kimmel you should be ashamed.

“Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows and death, so is the man who deceives his neighbor, and says, “Was I not joking?”” — Proverbs 26:18–19

Whitewolf7070 on November 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I had to tell my children their mother was murdered at work.

Making your own children cry is NOT funny.

DarthBrooks on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

bmmg39 on November 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I had to tell my children their mother was murdered at work.

Making your own children cry is NOT funny.

DarthBrooks on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m so sorry.

bmmg39 on November 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

What….I thought it was hilarious, except for the last clip. I don’t care for the potty mouth.

You all sound like a bunch of uptight progs….children are fragile, blah, blah, blah. C’mon its CANDY! Lighten up. I love teasing and having fun with my kids.

I just tried it on my 5 year daughter and she said “That’s ok. I didn’t really want it anyway.” Not what I was expecting. I will try again on my 8 and 6 yr old, maybe I will get a better rise out them.

tommer74 on November 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

This is how therapists stay in business.

mythicknight on November 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Richie Incognito told Jonathan Martin that he ate all his Halloween candy.

Chickyraptor on November 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I enjoyed it. But full disclosure, I don’t have children.

lucyvanpelt on November 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Disgustingly, terrible parents.

slp on November 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

We already have a liar in the White House. Shouldn’t parents better than this?

Fallon on November 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I hate to be a spoilsport, but I have to agree with this. It’s cringe-inducing enough when Borat targets everyday folks for ridicule; to do it to kids is just mean.

Caiwyn on November 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Shouldn’t parents BE better than this?

Fallon on November 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Caiwyn on November 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Hubby can’t stand the Borat entrapments either. The only thing like this that I thought was funny was when Justin Timberlake and Zac Braff got punk’d. I don’t know, celebrities… human or not?

Fallon on November 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I used to love watching Kimmel, but I stopped when he started shilling for Obama during the shutdown.

Ward Cleaver on November 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Fallon on November 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I watched about ten minutes of Borat, but when he started messing with his tighty-whiteys, I turned it off.

Ward Cleaver on November 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Mean, mean, mean.

PattyJ on November 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM

This isn’t funny, it’s mean.

29Victor on November 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Calvin’s dad knew how to do it right.

Flange on November 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I’m pretty sure Calvin’s dad helped Obama write his Obamacare speeches.

29Victor on November 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I’m pretty sure Calvin’s dad helped Obama write his Obamacare speeches.

29Victor on November 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Calvin’s Dad was a patent lawyer.

Jeddite on November 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am putting together a list of warped personality traits which describe certain warped citizens and it explains much as to why they vote a certain way.

This is a generational issue which can all be laid at the feet of the useless, dirtbag 60′s generation.

There are several on the list, but one is entertainment from child suffering. Most children and adolescents are too self-centered to show compassion to another child but reach adulthood and everything changes. However, something as changed with the children of 60′s generation and the value of a child is diminished.

As a dad myself I can’t enjoy something like this knowing how sh1tty people are to children these days in general.

ClassicCon on November 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

“Borat entrapments”, is that what they call that green G-string?

Chickyraptor on November 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

To purposely inflict this pain on one’s child for the entertainment of Kimmel is a disgrace to the parents and to Kimmel. Shame on all except the children. What horrid adults.

A.S.R. on November 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I love these. And note how when the kids are told the truth, most start laughing. Usually there are more kids who are understanding and even offer to share their candy next year. A lot of those kids are too old for the tantrums they throw.

Blake on November 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Now that O-care covers mental health, the children can get treatment for what their immature parents did to them.

PattyJ on November 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Not funny at all, and incredibly puerile.

ultracon on November 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I had to tell my children their mother was murdered at work.

Making your own children cry is NOT funny.

DarthBrooks on November 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

…I’m so sorry!…peace be with you…it took strength…just to post that!

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

tommer74 on November 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I’m with you. BLOWHARDS up in this comment thread. If your kids can’t bounce back from 10 seconds of the thought they’ve lost their piddling candy, then there’s something wrong. And, these kids will turn out fine; they’re not psychically damaged. They’re not that fragile, and the immediate turn-arounds in these clips show many of them are being melodramatic to begin with. Thanks for posting, Erika!

Mary Katharine Ham on November 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

A.S.R. on November 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

This.

As someone who was bullied FREQUENTLY as a child (not by my parents mind you) watching parents do this to kids makes me want to smack the living s#it outta them.

Re: What MKH said-it’s not that they can’t bounce back-it’s that they shouldn’t have to, not from their parents there’s enough crappy people in this world and their parents shouldn’t be included amongst them.

SgtSVJones on November 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on November 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Sorry, but you’re dead wrong on this. People who teach their children by example that lying and bullying family members to inflict pain are okay things to do are miserable parents. If your children experience pain for your amusement, that’s a twisted understanding of your role as guide to your children in showing them what’s right and what’s wrong. And yes, there’s damage after events like that – you’ve wrecked the trust children need in you so they have a safe place to bring issues they shouldn’t be bringing to anyone else. If you’ve taught your kid that you’re a damn liar, don’t expect to find out much about what they’re up to when they get older.

To torment your own children for the sake of getting momentary fame on a late-night show is depraved, immature, selfish, and cruel. In doing so, you’ve taught them that your quest for popularity is more important to you than your own child’s happiness. Disgusting.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Get the feeling you would have been one of those children stomping their feet and throwing a tantrum.

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Get the feeling you were berated a lot as a child.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM

MKH, look at your sweet baby. Do you really want to make her cry for Jimmy Kimmel’s audience’s amusement. Think about it.

Your generation has grown up with social media, basically oversharing every aspect of your lives, and you do see things a little differently than us old… um, “blowhards”, was it? Hopefully, you will change your mind in a few years.

It is about trust.

What lesson are these children learning? Not to be so selfish about their candy? No, they get their candy back. They are relieved that their parents lied to them. They learned that parents shouldn’t be trusted. Their school teacher will reinforce the notion. Good luck with that.

Fallon on November 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I’m a blowhard because I don’t want to devastate my kids on purpose? Really?

The children weren’t reacting to “losing the piddling candy.” They were reacting to the breach of an implicit promise by people they trusted that they could have the candy in the first place. Kind of a big deal when you consider how much they’ve been looking forward to Halloween.

Life will knock them around quite enough as they get older. As DarthBrooks pointed out, parents sometimes have to inflict that damage themselves. Why anyone would turn that into a cruel game is beyond me.

But hey, break your kid’s heart without cause. Better that than being called a blowhard, right?

mrsknightley on November 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Get the feeling you were berated a lot as a child.

DarthBrooks on November 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Just saying you should probably relax and refrain from throwing up all over the thread with your shrieking and intermittent outbursts of psychobabble. For starters…

Panther on November 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM