Green Room

Former Democratic staffer, burned by Obamacare: “I was wrong. Very wrong.”

posted at 11:26 am on October 29, 2013 by

Disillusionment is painful.  Via the Chicago Sun-Times:

Sue Klinkhamer has a problem. It’s called Obamacare.  And the irony of her situation is not lost on her. In a recent email addressed to her former boss, Illinois Congressman Bill Foster, and other Democratic colleagues, she wrote: “I spent two years defending Obamacare. I had constituents scream at me, spit at me and call me names that I can’t put in print. The congressman was not re-elected in 2010 mainly because of the anti-Obamacare anger. When the congressman was not re-elected, I also (along with the rest of our staff) lost my job. I was upset that because of the health care issue, I didn’t have a job anymore but still defended Obamacare because it would make health care available to everyone at, what I assumed, would be an affordable price. I have now learned that I was wrong. Very wrong.” For Klinkhamer, 60, President Obama’s oft-repeated words ring in her ears: “If you like your health plan, you will keep it.” Well, possibly not.

Tell us what you’ve won, Sue!

When Klinkhamer lost her congressional job, she had to buy an individual policy on the open market. Three years ago, it was $225 a month with a $2,500 deductible. Each year it went up a little to, as of Sept. 1, $291 with a $3,500 deductible. Then, a few weeks ago, she got a letter. “Blue Cross,” she said, “stated my current coverage would expire on Dec. 31, and here are my options: I can have a plan with similar benefits for $647.12 [or] I can have a plan with similar [but higher] pricing for $322.32 but with a $6,500 deductible.” She went on, “Blue Cross also tells me that if I don’t pick one of the options, they will just assume I want the one for $647. … Someone please tell me why my premium in January will be $356 more than in December?

Sue’s former boss is now current Congressman Bill Foster.  What does he have to say for himself?

Congressman Foster, Klinkhamer’s former boss who has since been returned to Congress, told me by phone Friday, “A very large number of people are very grateful” for Obamacare…Klinkhamer suggests renaming the Affordable Care Act. “Just call it,” she said dryly, “the Available Care Act.”

Yes, but an even larger number aren’t “very grateful” for the law — especially the countless victims of its egregious broken promises.  Rep. Foster cast one of the deciding votes for this monstrosity in 2010, and three years later, its real-world consequences are hammering one of his former staffers.  Whatevs.  Numero Uno will be just fine. Liberals have routinely assured us that a warm public embrace of Obamacare is just around the corner.  Once it’s passed!  Once the early sweeteners go into effect!  After full implementation!  Have Democrats replaced this sun’ll-come-out-tomorrow thinking with, “meh, at least some people don’t hate it”?  Inspiring.  In any case, one hopes that Foster’s 2014 opponent will see to it that district voters hear about Sue’s story early and often.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Republicans should back off, watch and comment on the Ocare implosion. Once voters witness all of the ‘egregious broken promises’, they will be more impassioned to get to the polls for candidates who will repeal it.

HellCat on October 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I don’t think so. I know a lot of liberals. Their hatred for Republicans is far greater than any hell the democrats can visit upon them.

Alabama Infidel on October 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM

You reap what you sow. Democrats, you have no one to blame but yourselves!

You won now own it!

islandman78 on October 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Does the still have the idiotic “I [heart] Obamacare” bumper sticker on the back of her Prius?

Galtian on October 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Have Democrats replaced this sun’ll-come-out-tomorrow thinking with, “meh, at least some people don’t hate it”?

Actually, they don’t give a sh!t beyond the possible affect on the next election.

It’s “the Law of the Land”. Few Republicans are trying to do anything that will change that. The ones who are have been heavily criticized by others in their own party. Most GOP politicians will just use the issue are to get votes and then do little or nothing about Obamacare once elected. It’s all about politics now, and little else.

No matter what they may think about their government run health care systems the citizens of socialized Europe are stuck with them. Barring some unexpected miracle, so are we.

Once a modern socialist policy metastasizes it is almost impossible to cure and reset the situation back to the pre-policy state. It advances incrementally and in a way that makes it virtually impossible to roll back the changes. If history is any guide total economic collapse of a socialist system is a prerequisite for substantive change.

The jury is still out on how the Chinese system will play out. But tens of millions starved in China before the Chicom leaders concluded they needed to turn to rely on free market solutions.

farsighted on October 30, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Obama lied!Health care died! Impeach Obama!

redware on October 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Obama lied!Health care died! Impeach Obama!

redware on October 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Yeah the dems will realize that was the only thing that could have saved them in 2014 – was too cut the ObamaAnchor loose. It will be too late in early Nov of 2014 when the democrats are decimated.

Obama won’t be able to show his face for the last two years of his Presidency.

By then ObamaCare will have blown up and the grid lock in DC will be permanent (until 2016) unless the American people wake up from the Obama trance.

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

farsighted on October 30, 2013 at 7:07 AM

heh, if that is the case then the democrats need to write up impeachment papers, convict Obama and tell Biden to repel ObamaCare. THAT is the only way the democrats will have a hope to be a viable party moving forward.

Obama does not care about the democrats – he is a Marxist and uses them as a tool. Once they served their purpose for 2012 – he shits on them……

redguy on October 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus