Green Room

White House: Shutdown story Dick Durbin is telling is pretty bogus

posted at 2:43 pm on October 23, 2013 by

In case you haven’t heard about this, Senator Dick Durbin claimed in a Facebook post that a House Republican told Barack Obama during the shutdown negotiations that “I cannot even stand to look at you.” Republicans vehemently denied it, and now the White House agrees:

White House press secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday flatly denied that a House Republican told President Obama “I cannot even stand to look at you” during negotiations over the government shutdown.

“It did not happen,” Carney said, saying he discussed the incident with a “participant in the meeting.” …

“Many Republicans searching for something to say in defense of the disastrous shutdown strategy will say President Obama just doesn’t try hard enough to communicate with Republicans,” Durbin said. “But in a ‘negotiation’ meeting with the president, one GOP House Leader told the president: ‘I cannot even stand to look at you.’”

“What are the chances of an honest conversation with someone who has just said something so disrespectful?” the Illinois Democrat added.

What are the chances of an honest conversation with an Illinois Democrat?  I’m just asking on a friend’s behalf.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A shame it’s bogus…I almost had a little more respect for the House GOP. Almost…

changer1701 on October 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

“0″

d1carter on October 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

How can the Repubs negotiate with such people who would tell lies as a matter of course, you know like the Dem party? Dickie Turban is just this weeks liar dejour. I would say Oblahblah is its main poster child.

neyney on October 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

one GOP House Leader told the president: ‘I cannot even stand to look at you.’”

…it will go down in history…as another “YOU LIE!” comment!

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM

His parents didn’t name him Dick for no reason.

SteveInRTP on October 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

File this next to the alleged “racial slurs” that were uttered on the steps of the capital the day Obamacare passed.

Kataklysmic on October 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Umm . . . wait . . . there are some people who CAN stand to look at the imbecile? I had no idea. I thought the bile taste was universal. Go figure.

SoRight on October 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

A little psychological projection there, Dick? Don’t worry – I understand where you’re coming from.

Hill60 on October 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Fake but accurate.

mankai on October 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I cannot understand where Dick’s Head is coming from. Just another corrupt, full of himself, self-serving, gun grabbing, Statist Chicago Democrat.

Illinois will be far better without him.

But who will the lame Illinois Republican Party choose to be his sacrificial lamb, this time?

CiLH1 on October 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

DURBIN vs CARNEY

The first liar never has a chance.

WestTexasBirdDog on October 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Kataklysmic on October 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM

And both stories were fabricated and spread for the same reason.

Obvious Democrats are obvious.

rockmom on October 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

So what?

There will be no consequences for a democrat lying.

The press will still fluff this cretin.

cozmo on October 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Ed asked:

What are the chances of an honest conversation with an Illinois Democrat?

My response:

What are the chances of an honest conversation with -ANY- Democrat?

UPNorthWolf on October 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

What, no spittle?

HoosierStateofMind on October 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM

changer1701 on October 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

It’s a challenge to respect you after a remark like that.

Hatred will not advance the conservative agenda.

I wish I could look at the President in the eye…& respectfully explain everything he’s doing wrong until the Secret Service dragged me away.

itsnotaboutme on October 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM

My theory is that Obama and Durbin planned this so that Obama could pretend to have Boehner’s back to build a little bit of trust towards a comprehensive amnesty agreement.

Wigglesworth on October 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Well, if no other Republican has said it, please let me be the first to say that I can’t stand to look at him.

NoPain on October 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM