Green Room

Video: Parent files bullying complaint over 91-0 football drubbing

posted at 2:59 pm on October 22, 2013 by

Er, really? The parent of the high-school football player on the losing end of a 91-0 loss has found a way to improve the team amplify the whining — by accusing the winning team of bullying them. Isn’t that what a ground-acquisition game like football is supposed to be about?

“My son plays for western hills football team on friday night we all witnessed bullying firsthand, it is not a pretty sight. Picking up my son from the field house after the game and taking him home was tough, I did not know what to say on the ride home to explain the behavior of the aledo coach for not easing up when the game was in hand. After thinking about my ride home, I thought how tough it must have been for the parents of the aledo football players to explain what happened o their sons on the ride home. During the game the aledo players showed respect to my son and I thank them for their good sportsmanship. I wish the aledo players good luck this season and hope they have a successful school year.I wish their parents don’t have to explain this ride home again.”

Besides, all the complaint will amplify is the losing team’s sense of humiliation. The opposing coach told the local CBS affiliate that he did his best to keep the scoring down in the second half, which strongly suggests that the losers couldn’t even stack up to the benchwarmers:

Buchanan said by halftime, when his team was up 56 points, he began actively trying to keep the score down, subbing in backup players, letting the clock run continuously, and instructing players to make fair catch calls.

“You don’t want to embarrass… I’ve been on the other side of those scores. In 2011, Lake Travis scored 62 points on us. That doesn’t feel good. It doesn’t make the kids feel good,” said Buchanan.

Don’t ask questions to which you don’t want to hear the answers ….

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How about telling him: “If you don’t like loosing then work hard to get better.
“Or, you can quit and vote Democrat, and they’ll change the rules to let losers like you sue the winners.”

Socratease on October 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Or – Don’t worry, next year we won’t allow them to keep score, so you’ll never lose that bad again – it’s the Dem way.
Well unless you actually win a game, then you can say “haha, I won, you sit in the back of the bus”.

dentarthurdent on October 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

batterup on October 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thank you.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Too bad the winning coaches didn’t start their 2nd and 3rd string. Missed opportunity.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I have a mental picture of the parents who complained…

d1carter on October 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

LOL! You, of all people, should know not to pull a Chris Jones, so to speak.

Silly of me, of course, to talk about “unwritten rules”…in writing.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

That new rule is in writing, and if Belicheat didn’t want to address it to his team, that’s his and their problem. I don’t feel bad, there was a bad call on the Jets that should have been ruled a completion, so I consider it karma. I was at that game, one of the best times I’ve had at any Jets game.

JetBoy on October 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

JetBoy on October 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

1. You are welcome for Chris Ivory. Now, say thank you.
2. Be more like the other Jets fans on espn, nfl, and elsewhere who called it karma for what happened the week before to the Saints, rather than just tying it to your Jets.
3. Break.

That was a great game and glad you were there to cheer your team to victory.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I’ve coached on both sides of the beatings.

In soccer, when we could totally dominate, the second string played the majority of the second half and the better players remaining were on defense. It was a win for everyone – it kept the score within reason and some boys scored their only goals ever.

bw222 on October 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Ed – you don’t have to worry about the Golden Goofers or ViQueens bullying anyone of the football field.

bw222 on October 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Your team shoulda stopped em dimbulb.

Akzed on October 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Tell the losing players to take pride in their loss

…heck … look at the Minnesota Vikings…they are professional losers…you don’t see them whining that the other team is bullying…no…they actually have learned to enjoy being LOSERS !! :D

BigSven on October 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

This parental complaint ought to be dismissed out of hand. The alleged “bullies” showed respect to the complainant’s son and get thanked for their good sportstmanship, in the complainant’s own words.

J.S.K. on October 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM

BigSven on October 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Oof.

22044 on October 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

How about picking him up, taking him for a chocolate sundae along with some of his teammates and laugh about it…it’s a game, 2 hours out of his life that he will never forget, but hopefully not have to dwell on it.

Yes, I have been on both sides…and you chalk up the “big win” as just another win, because next week you have another game, and you check off the lost because next week you have another game.

Try being 17, have the Hungarian National Water Polo Team beat the snot out of you. If you lose, no big deal, if they lose, they could lose their “job”, or apartment. Lost two teeth, and needed stitches after the game…and the 2 meter man hugged me afterward.

Sports bring out the worst and the best…

right2bright on October 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

F no. That would be unsportsmanlike.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

And based on the apparent skill differential displayed, likely suicide…

JohnGalt23 on October 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM

OTOH, a high-school ice hockey coach (and NHL scout) once told me that the worst thing that could happen to a high school team was to have an undefeated season. The man had a lot of wisdom.

bofh on October 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

laugh about it

right2bright on October 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Not a big Patton fan? Of course, you’re right and put it in proper perspective. Another approach is to tell the kid a win is a win, whether by 91 points or 1 points, and the same thing goes for a loss.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

1 point

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM

1. You are welcome for Chris Ivory. Now, say thank you.

THIS

THIS

3. Break.

THIS

That was a great game and glad you were there to cheer your team to victory.

Christien on October 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yep…the OT had me really worried.

JetBoy on October 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yeah that’s a pretty tacky thing to do. When I played, our coach would have never permitted it to happen. You just didn’t show folks up. You beat em, but you never showed them up. Times have changed.

Bmore on October 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Yep.

You say that sometimes life is tough and sometimes life is unfair. This game was one of those times when life was both.

Buchanan said by halftime, when his team was up 56 points, he began actively trying to keep the score down<

At the end of the first quarter the score was 28 – 0. The starting quarterback threw a touchdown pass in the 3rd quarter making the score 63 – 0. He must’ve misremembered when the thought about subbing occurred to him.

Apples and oranges. Aledo scored a paltry 35 points in that game.

Don’t ask questions to which you don’t want to hear the answers ….

Aledo was favored by 79. Did anyone make money on that bet?

rukiddingme on October 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I did not know what to say on the ride home to explain the behavior of the aledo coach for not easing up when the game was in hand…

For real? What a pathetic excuse for a father! Are you freaking serious?

It’s called Life! Get over it! It’s called freaking reality!

OMG! I just cannot freaking believe this! What.. does this freaking guy think life is going to “ease up” on his kid as he gets older?

If this guy is the typical dad out there.. it’s over! America is finished and will be overrun by the barbarians any time now!

JellyToast on October 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Calling this bullying is to minimize what it’s really like to be bullied and diminishes the meaning of the word.

Dollayo on October 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Bmore on October 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If an opposing team coach is trying to do that and your players (or your coaching) suck so bad what do you do?

F15Mech on October 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

F15Mech on October 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Nothing you can do. You have to rely on the tradition of taste and knowing not to show up the other team. Me, if the opposing coach pulled that crap against my obviously outmatched team. I’d play third sting against him.

Bmore on October 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM

BigSven on October 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Oof.

22044 on October 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Actually, in Vikingsland, it would more likely be “Uffdah”. Time to get Bud Grant to come out of retirement.

whatcat on October 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I know, why don’t we just do away with scoring football games altogether?! That way nobody loses and nobody has to “feel bad”.

This is what the mental diseases known as liberalism, and the specific offshoot: political correctness, have brought us to.

Sterling Holobyte on October 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM

…this should have been a regular thread!

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I hope the investigation produces the following report:

We have investigated the allegation of “bullying”, and have found no evidence thereof. All evidence points to the inescapable conclusion that the event is best characterized as an “a‍s‍s-whooping”.

The Monster on October 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM

bw222 on October 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Over a century ago, 1904 to be exact, the Minnesota Gophers football team outscored their opponents 725-12 over the course of the season leading to a record of 13-0.

The two largest beatdowns that year were a 146-0 win over Grinnell and a 77-0 win over South Dakota.

Blowouts in football like this have literally been happening for over 100 years. The only difference now is the whining of parents.

weaselyone on October 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My son just got blown out of the water 18-0 in a soccer game about two weeks ago. In the second half, the coach on the opposing team switched up the players, but the team was just that good.

I didn’t begrudge the team their win or their blowout. It made my son want to come home and do drills and work harder. THAT was a good thing. These parents are idiots.

melle1228 on October 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

If the losing team can sue for bullying, the Chicago Cubs should be able to put the National League on death row.

CrustyB on October 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My wife called this morning to tell me it was a dad who filed the complaint. Nooooooooo!

I suppose his next complaint will come when every team doesn’t get a trophy.

mankai on October 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

How often do they get significant time on the field anyways? Not often. And no way in hell any coach will tell them to rollover and die when they have the opportunity to play. If the other team was rolled by even the bench warmers it’s not winning team’s fault.

Actually, a few coaches MIGHT tell his 2nd and 3rd stringers to roll over. Back in the 80′s UCLA hosted Colorado and the Bruins easily ran the score up on the dreadful Buffs 56-0, getting TDs on each of its drives, IIRC, by the end of the first half. Bruin fans were salivating at seeing a new UCLA, maybe an NCAA single game scoring record by game’s end. Nope. UCLA’s coach came out with the backups in the second half and had them do nothing but run up the middle every time the ULCA offense was on the field. Nothing much for broadening the experience of the back up players nor for the enjoyment of expectant UCLA fans.

UCLA made few first downs and never scored in the second half and gave up two touchdowns to Colorado with the game ending score 56-14. Most boring half of football I ever had the misfortune to watch.

hawkeye54 on October 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I suppose his next complaint will come when every team doesn’t get a trophy.

mankai on October 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

If I were his kid, I’d seriously be thinking of changing my name and leaving the state. Dad has no idea how much more humiliating it has to be bringing attention to this loss nationwide than the loss itself.

hawkeye54 on October 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Congrats to this kid’s folks, they turned a moderately embarrassing but obscure and soon to be forgotten bad score (by a top team against a bottom feeding team) where the kid could quickly write it off as we were just really thoroughly beaten by a good team – into longlasting infamy as pathetic whining from a castrati boi.

krome on October 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Obviously Daddy here is not a fan of Conan the Barbarian.
What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, have them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

I honestly can’t believe a director actually got Ahhhnold to speak a word like “lamentations”….

dentarthurdent on October 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

krome on October 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

What’s really sad, in reference to my Conan quote, is that Daddy here is the one who is doing the driving – WRT his son, the loser who was “crushed”, being “driven before” the winners – in a very public manner.

Although perhaps what we’re hearing now is the “lamentations of their women” – and Daddy is one of the women…..

dentarthurdent on October 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I think in the 1980 Winter Olympics, US hockey coach Herb Brooks should have refused to play the Soviets because they were too good for Olympic competition.

Forfeiting would have protected our poor college kids from the damage to their psyche that would result from playing a vastly superior opponent.

VastRightWingConspirator on October 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

LOL. Wondering what the opposing teams parents said to their kids after…? When my HS team did this to opponents we went out and partied after. No need to explain how awesome we played to us.

eski502 on October 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

…sorry!….I just had to make it 91 comments!

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM

KOOLAID2 on October 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Bully for you!

Christien on October 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I suppose his next complaint will come when every team doesn’t get a trophy.

mankai on October 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Heh.

Precedent.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

No bullying, per the Aledo investigation:

Still, not Texan.

GruntDoc on October 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

GruntDoc,

Thanks for providing the follow up. Not surprising that Aledo cleared themselves of any wrong doing. As far as not being Texan, I agree with you.

Christien on October 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Time to recall my youth.

8th grade AYL football. We had a great team, and two main rivals. Our team was being coached by several HS (state champions) football seniors.

Early in the season, we were playing Hawk Orange, a team that hadn’t lost a game in several years. We were matching them score for score, despite some horrific officiating. The officiating went beyond normal bad calls and crossed into throwing the game territory, and one of my coaches lost it. He unleashed a stream of profanity on the ref the likes of which I have never seen.

Dolphin Blue was another team, waiting on the sidelines to play next. Their coach was not amused. At the next AYL board meeting he filed a formal complaint. Our coaches were fined $100 for yelling at the ref and swearing in front of the kids.

Two weeks later, we played Dolphin Blue.

Our pre-game pep talk was quite succinct:
“They got us fined $100. Run it up 100.”

Final score: 98-0

mkbruin on October 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Don’t worry, you librul pussy. The winning side parents won’t have any trouble with their explanation. Let this be a lesson to you libruls that want the United States to lose its position in the world, just to make life easy for a few minorities. It is much, mush better to win than to lose. Show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser.

Old Country Boy on October 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM

“On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.” Douglas MacArthur

“Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.” Wellington

I see that the librul parents are trying to contribute the loser genes to the pool. That’s alright with me.

Old Country Boy on October 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM