Green Room

Meanwhile, Susana Martinez is totally crushing it in New Mexico

posted at 11:22 am on October 17, 2013 by

Joe Scarborough (I know, I know) wrote a column earlier this month noting that despite the public opinion woes of Congressional Republicans, many GOP governors are performing quite well and receiving stellar marks for their job performance.  Much has been made of the party’s struggles with women and Latinos, so the glowing success of Gov. Susana Martinez in New Mexico merits some attention.  According to the most recent statewide survey, Martinez earns an eye-popping 66 percent overall approval rating, including positive marks from 70 percent (!) of women.  And since nearly half of the state’s population is comprised of Hispanics, it stands to reason that the governor is faring quite well among that demographic group, too (cross-tabs are unavailable).  According to the poll, Martinez is extremely popular among Republicans, and gets thumbs-ups from roughly two-thirds of independents and almost half of self-identified Democrats.  Heading into her 2014 re-election effort, Martinez is…well prepared:

Incumbent Republican Gov. Susana Martinez’s re-election campaign account has more than 20 times the amount in her Democratic opponent Gary King’s coffers. According to campaign finance reports filed with the Secretary of State’s Office on Tuesday, Martinez had more than $3,269,000 in the bank. King, who is the state’s attorney general, had $142,440. Martinez contributors included several top Republican figures in the country, which could be seen as an indication of her status as an emerging player in national GOP politics.

Martinez’s popularity has grated on Democrats for years.  That frustration boiled over in an ugly way in 2011, when a liberal state legislator derisively referred to the governor as “the Mexican.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Jindal comes off like a boring wimp.

Weren’t you a huge Romney supporter?

And Martinez seems shaky and lacks polish in tv interview situations. A Ted Cruz or Rand Paul she is not.

bluegill on October 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM

You clearly haven’t seen too many of her interviews. She’s quite good. And plus she would get a lot closer to winning the Presidency than either one of those two. Cruz has no charisma and Rand is…well Rand lol

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Hmmm, female Republican governor with an exceptionally high approval rating.

Time to bring out the big guns and destroy her utterly.

Kafir on October 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Granted, a national election is different than a state one, but the Denish campaign tried to destroy her, but they failed miserably. Martinez is no shrinking violet. She punched back twice as hard and won with a pretty comfortable margin in an election which was only supposed to be decided by 2-3 points.

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Perhaps I should have added “…if she dares set one foot outside that backwater state she runs.”

Kafir on October 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Didn’t know much about Gov. Martinez until she gave her speech at the GOP Convention, and then I was very impressed.

Concerning to hear now she supports Common Core. Hope she wakes up and sees it for yet another crap sandwich that it is.

PatriotGal2257 on October 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I know you are pro-amnesty and hate principled conservatives like Ted Cruz, but that doesn’t mean you have to lie.

I have seen plenty of Martinez’ interviews. She’s adequate, but lacks gravitas and isn’t as articulate as one might hope for.

Cruz, on the other hand, can work a passionate crowd like no one’s business and can also be dignified and powerful in interview situations.

bluegill on October 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

bluegill on October 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

There’s no further proof needed that you’re fabricating a standard that Cruz passes and Martinez fails, because she’s not a member of the Tribe and he is.

And as for Ted Cruz’s alleged persuasion and charisma, he certainly did a bang-up job convincing other senators to join him in his defund-Obamacare crusade, didn’t he?

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Martinez is a good MODERATE. She is a moderate. Cruz is a conservative. I’m done w/ Moderates.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding the “who is a real conservative, and why” theological debate.

I find myself amused at how so many people these days like to claim that “even Reagan wouldn’t pass a Conservative litmus test with *those* people”. My suspicion here is that those who really believe this statment don’t quite understand what a limited government conservative believes, much less understand how Reagan conducted himself in this regard.

First, Reagan wasn’t perfect – nor is any politician. But what made Reagan successful is that he knew when to pick his battles, and more importantly, he never compromised his principles.

I feel like I need to remind the Christie and GWB (domestic policy) fans of this quote:

I told my young staff that the way to be successful in politics and remain true to your principles is to know the distinction between your principles and your preferences. On your principles, you should never yield; you should be prepared to be defeated. Nobody likes to be defeated, but you should let everybody know in the most articulate and thoughtful and civil way you can (you don’t go out and pick fights with people) that in certain matters that you define as matters of principle you will not budge, you cannot yield, you will not compromise. If you don’t have the votes or the winning argument, then you stand to be defeated and rolled over, and you’ll just have to come back another day.

But on circumstances that are your preferences, you’d better be prepared to compromise, because that’s where you can demonstrate that you can engage with other people. Then you can, in fact, operate in the political realm. So make a clear distinction anytime an issue arises—is this a point of principle or is this a point of preference? An awful lot of politicians never understand the difference. They compromise their principles and they fight to the death on their preferences. They end up of course, being frustrated and unsuccessful–and failures at achieving their objectives.

-Senator Jesse Helms

What people like Helms understood is something I think our so-called “beltway Republicans” have long forgotten – but our Democrat adversaries have always understood: voters should know what your principles are, and you should be prepared to stand on them.

Take the monstrosity that is PPACA: Democrats willingly sacrificed many of their colleagues on the altar of PPACA because passing that legislation fit with their long-term goal of massively enlarging the size of both government and the amount of people dependent upon it. But what do Republicans do? Boehner, McConnell, McCain, et.al. demonstrate time and time again that their only principles are to either go along with whatever special interest groups require in order to garner more campaign cash, or else what they think their Democrat “colleagues” will agree with. But notice how many times a Democrat does this with Republicans on a conservative, limited government issue? *Never*.

Second, there is an excuse often given that Republicans in so-called “blue states” must compromise to remain electable. All well and good, where compromise is on preferences. But compromising one’s principles to remain electable just means that sooner or later, no one can figure out why you claim to be a Republican anymore – and they vote for the Democrat instead. This is what happened in 2006 btw.

Third, rarely since Reagan has a conservative actually been able to clearly articulate his (or her) political philosophy in concrete [read: independent voter] terms. So conservatives running for office either implode on the public stage (Rick Perry), fall away into obscurity (Fred Thompson), or else find their positions so obscured by compromises against principles that they cannot defend why someone should vote for them over the Democrats that they have emulated throughout their political careers (McCain, Romney).

What Reagan did for conservatives was not set himself up as a “brand” or test every remark he made in front of focus groups. Instead, he understood his principles, clearly communicated them to a wide audience in concrete terms, and then (on the whole) actually legislated by them. He picked his battles when it came to deciding whether to push for massive reductions to domestic programs when it became apparent that the far more important fight was to win the Cold War once and for all. And he was rarely found on the defensive.

I simply cannot envisage Reagan supporting massive Government growth projects like Common Core or PPACA exchanges – but then again, under the banner of reducing taxes, Reagan allowed more people to not have to pay income taxes. While this sounded like a great idea at the time, what Democrats have done with it is to allow an ever increasing pool of people who are able to gain representation without taxation, a very dangerous trend in terms of what voters will allow in regards to increasing the size of Government.

So no, Reagan wasn’t perfect. Nor will any politician be perfect.

But at least (on the whole) Reagan was principled and knew how to manage diverse stakeholders in the political arena, without bending over backward the moment he encountered resistance from the other side. And he knew when to walk away if the other side absolutely refused to compromise.

One knew where Reagan – and Helms – stood, and Reagan could advocate his principles without sounding defensive, shrinking away from a discussion, or else sounding like a slightly lighter version of the other side’s view.

Is this too much to ask for anymore?

Wanderlust on October 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Question, o High Inquisitor of Conservatism:

Which politicians today would you consider conservative, since everyone to the left of Ted Cruz is a moderate RINO and you’re “done w/moderates?”

Rand Paul’s out, obviously, because he opposed Cruz’s defund strategy. That leaves Cruz, Palin, Lee, and who else?

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Perry, Jindal, and Pence are high on my list. My problem w/ Rnd is that I still don’t trust that he hasn’t inherited Herr Doktor’s insanity.
Martinez supports abortion, welcomed the Zerocare exchanges to her state, seems to support ‘common core’, etc. Since I only live an hour from the Texas/NM border-there are quite a few from that state working here. People like her because she does a good job in NM-but they don’t consider her to be conservative.
Because she IS a moderate-the only reason she would be put on a national ticket…would be as a pander.
Pass.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Speaking of lies…I’m pro-amnesty? That’s news to me. And I hate Ted Cruz? Is that why I supported him in the primary? Is that why during his “filibuster,” I wrote numerous comments lauding his efforts? If you don’t know what you’re talking about, it’s best you stay silent.

bluegill on October 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Just because one can work a crowd, it doesn’t mean one has gravitas. Also, just compare the type of reception Martinez got at the convention compared to Cruz. You might reconsider. You hate Palin, yet I’m sure even you can’t deny that she can work a crowd. I’m sure you wouldn’t say she has gravitas, correct? Cruz is a phenomenal debater, but underwhelming in interviews in my opinion.

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Martinez supports abortion

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Martinez is as pro-life as I am (the three exceptions). Her public statements, as well as her campaign platform, say so.

So either you made that up to smear and discredit her, or someone else did. Where did you get that information?

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I was misinformed. I retract that statement. I still consider her to be a moderate and I won’t support her on the national stage.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Wanderlust on October 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Geez, this should be plastered on every politician’s or wanna-be politician’s forehead.

I would be very surprised to hear of any of the current crop of GOP congresscritters who abide by this, and you’re exactly right when you say they don’t understand the distinction between principles and preferences as the Dems do.

It’s maddening. If we ordinary citizens can see where the Dems stand, although we would vociferously disagree with them, why can’t the GOP?

I think we all know the answer: they don’t want to, because in their heart of hearts, they want to BE Dems.

PatriotGal2257 on October 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Pro-amnesty shill Guy Benson shilling for pro-amnesty governor who is supported by her pro-amnesty constituents.

Shocking, lol.

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Shocking, lol.

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Martinez isn’t pro-amnesty; far from it, she championed rolling back drivers’ licenses for illegals and opposes blanket amnesty.

Not that it matters, though; now that she’s officially designated not a member of the Tribe, no lie or smear is low enough for TrueCons to throw mud on her conservative positions.

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Well done, Governor. Very well done.

tommy71 on October 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

annoyinglittletwerp

Notice how he ignored your other potentially even more important points,lol. That’s why he’s the RINOKing.

RINOKing

Pot, meet kettle. He is called the RINOKing.

KingGold

But I thought Cruz was responsible for getting Boehnor to shut down the government? Now he has no persuasion at all. Man, this RINO stuff is so confusing.

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Potentially more important points? There’s a smear more devastating to a prospective Republican national candidate than “supports abortion?”

Keep up the lies, just like you people constantly nipped at Bachmann, Pawlenty and Perry two and a half years ago while you waited for your darling non-candidate Sarah Palin. Keep them up while you wait for Ted Cruz’s inevitable shift to the center treacherous backstabbing.

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Being the anti-amnesty governor of a Hispanic-majority border state takes a lot more balls than I’ve seen on most of the politicians who qualify as “conservative” these days.

RINOKing

And you actually had the nerve to jump on annoyinglittletwerp after pulling this zinger out of your a**.

But yes, let’s all throw our support behind a governor who doesn’t even know what “self-deport” means and is offended by its use, and who believes Republicans should beat Obama to the punch and push for amnes…err…I mean “comprehensive immigration reform” before the dems and Obama do it.

Yeah, that’s some balls alright.

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I was a Perry SUPPORTER! I hope he runs in ’16! I also supported T-Paw at one time. My problem with Bachmann was that ‘gardasil caused a woman’s daughter to become brain-damaged’ bullsh*t that she pulled on PERRY. She showed herself to be of low-character that day.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

KingGold

Well, not to RINOs like you of course who try to make it an issue every election by painting Conservatives as too extreme on the issue.

Besides, everyone knows the most important issue to Republicans is really gay marriage.

/sarc

xblade on October 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That comment was not directed at you specifically but more generally at the Palinistas, who did then largely what I’m seeing happen now – hamstringing any potential conservatives by smearing their conservative credentials in order to clear the field for their personality-cult hero.

Just today, on this website, I saw smears of Jindal, Walker, Martinez, and Haley, who all share the unique distinction of being prospective national contenders not named Ted Cruz. If it’s not an invented smear like “supports abortion,” it’s Common Core, an issue precisely nobody gave two sh*ts about until a few weeks ago when Michelle Malkin started beating the drum.

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Same here, Big Perry supporter. Bachmann disgusts me. Always thought she was a bit loony, but after she started with the Gardasil crap, I realized she was completely nuts. Perry’s fellow republicans made a conscious effort to take him down.
BTW, almost every health agency has advocated HPV vaccines, even for males.

lonestar1 on October 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Like I said-I apologize for my error about Abortion-and common core is a huge topic in Texas. I first heard it mentioned shortly after I moved here a few years back.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I’m not holding the abortion stuff against you. I simply have no choice, as someone who admires Martinez and sees her as a national contender, to nip something that toxic in the bud as aggressively as I can. Peace.

As for Common Core, if that’s going to be held up as the new purity standard, we’ll have no candidates left to run who aren’t considered squishy moderate traitor RINOs. It’s just too well-entrenched in the education systems of both red and blue states. The only people paying keen attention to it right now – the only significant political force that even considers this nationally controversial – is the teacher union. Ask the average governor about Common Core, and you’ll get a different answer every time. Ask a Tea Partier, and you’re likely as not to get a blank stare.

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

AS soon as she goes national the Tea Party will declare her a RINO.

so what’s the use? Destroying the GOP is all they care about. And taking the country into socialism is just a bonus for the so-called “conservatives”

petunia on October 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM

KingGold on October 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

You’re absolutely right about this. What’s funny is that many folks used to criticize Obama supporters for treating him like the Messiah. Well, people on our side do the very same thing with the flavor of the month.

GOPRanknFile on October 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

GOPRanknFile on October 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Actually, you’re the one treating Martinez like a flavor of the month. We shall see how she does of she runs. Right now, I have concerns about her ability to think fast on her feet and articulate positions in live interview situations. We shall wait and see. But I don’t want another Palin.

And it is very telling how people like you dismiss very real concerns about common core.

bluegill on October 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Just because I like her doesn’t mean I’m treating her like the flavor of the month lol. I like A LOT of other conservatives and Republicans. She’s just one of the many that appeals to me. I’ve advocated for many others like Jindal and Pence. Nice try, though.

If you really think she might be another Palin, then you really haven’t been paying attention to her. Just watch her debate with Denish and if you think she’s anything like Palin, then I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve never seen her stumped in one interview like Palin has. If you have any of these interviews where she has, then please do provide them.

bluegill on October 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Can you provide one quote of mine where I dismissed common core?

GOPRanknFile on October 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I find it hard to take comments from the GOP hardcore here on Hot Air seriously. Most of you begging for us not to critique your emerging favs were monstrously hard on folks like Santorum and Perry.

You cannot stand to have someone like Cruz in the limelight.

smoothsailing on October 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

buzzkill on October 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Just quit. You’re tiresome.

CWchangedhisNicagain on October 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM