Green Room

ESPN passes fan comment to Chargers QB: Six kids is too much to be good parent

posted at 6:56 pm on October 17, 2013 by

It’s a couple of months old now, but it’s still weird enough to note. San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, a staunch Catholic, has six children and one on the way, a total that wouldn’t have raised eyebrows a couple of generations ago but now is apparently fodder for sports fans and reporters alike.  Sam Allpour trolled the comments sections of sports sites and chose this as his finale to Rivers for the August 19th edition of the ESPN College Football Preview … one of only four questions posed, and the only one not about sports:

Six kids? Regardless of your profession, it’s impossible to be a good parent to six kids. Not enough hours in the day.— From TheBigLead.com comments

Seriously? This is the burning question that fans want answered — whether a man who makes millions of dollars a year can handle a family of six (soon to be seven) children? It’s not even a question, but a snide judgment based on ignorance and worse. My best friend in grade school came from a family of seven kids on a far more modest income (as were we all), and they grew up perfectly well with two wonderful, hard-working parents. Some of my favorite memories in those years, apart from those of my own family, were with them.

I know what I would have said to both the comment and the reporter who chose to relay it, but Rivers responded with more grace:

It’s a two-year rotation: Once the diapers come off of one, we usually have a newborn. And we have another one on the way, due in October. I help when I can, but my wife, Tiffany, is the key. My big, growing family keeps everything balanced and grounded. My oldest is 11 now, and the kids are getting into football. They’re Daddy’s biggest fans, and they don’t get on you as bad as most fans. If you throw an interception, they still love you.

Matthew Archbold calls it the “most inappropriate question [asked] of a Catholic QB ever,” and sums it up:

That’s a heckuva’ answer to a completely inappropriate question pushed by ESPN.

Rivers is a class act to respond in that way. Good guy.

You know it’s seriously like the last five millennia never even happened. Do these people think the world began with the invention of the Pill?

Forget what Rivers must have thought of the question, and just imagine what ESPN readers from similarly-sized families must have thought of it. And now we also know why “Rivers, 31, doesn’t have time to peruse fan forums.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The problem for ESPN and other Progressives is that Rivers and his wife manage to take care of their children, just fine, all by themselves. That’s the problem with these Liberals and their ilk: they spend too much time worrying about other people and things that work well (Catholics, religion, self-sufficient people, health insurance, law-abiding citizens, 2nd-Amendment abiding citizens, etc.) and insist on inserting their views until they screw things up.

HoosierStateofMind on October 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Eagerly awaiting urban elitist to tell us all how Philip Rivers is ruining the world by providing it with the tax base and young, healthy people urban elitist needs to make the Obamatax urban elitist supports remotely viable.

Where the Malthusians at?

BKennedy on October 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

My wife and I raised seven children – in a four bedroom house. She was a stay-at-home-Mom. I usually worked upwards of 10 hours each work day. I still managed to coach soccer, check homework, monitor the chore list – everybody had daily chores, fix whatever car was acting bad, pay the bills, fix a plumbing leak and on and on. We did it without a grudge or a regret.

If you are committed to a family, you just do it. It’s not for every body, but for those who can’t manage to get attached to even one child, then back off. We do and did just fine, thank you. And we now have 15 beautiful grandkids to spoil – we’re darn proud.

And as for the family Executive Branch, Kathy and I made it the “little trinity”: she, me and God. Win win, all the way.

And yeah, my soccer teams did pretty darn good!! But those darn ’70’s and ’80’s cars are long gone!!

crankybutt on October 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM

As one of six kids, I remember my mom responding to a question like that by asking which of her kids the questioner would prefer not be alive.

Stumped them every time!

infidel2 on October 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”