Green Room

Video: Special-needs student suspended for drawing a cartoon bomb

posted at 2:41 pm on October 15, 2013 by

No, we’re not talking about a schematic of an operable device, or anything close to that.  We’re talking about a drawing of a round black ball with a fuse sticking out of it — the kind of thing my generation used to see on Rocky and Bullwinkle, and which apparently turned us all into terrorists, or something.  Rather than just consult with the parents of the autistic and non-violent student, the school suspended him pending a “manifestation hearing.” WTOC has the latest manifestation of zero-tolerance hysteria from Greenville, South Carolina (via Tracey):

WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather

Amy Parham said her son, Rhett, had made the hand-drawn picture of the bomb during the weekend at home. Parham said her son is a fan of the video game Bomber Man and drew the cartoon-ish like explosive.

Parham said her son took the picture to Hillcrest Middle School, and that’s where problems arose.

Parham said she was told that her son showed the picture to some older children, who reported him to school administration. She said her son was suspended indefinitely by the school.

“They actually reiterated to me they knew he was non-violent,” said Parham. “They knew he was not actually having a bomb, creating or making a bomb. But that they could not go with out making an example of him and take some type of action because they were worried about their perception. Perception is actually the word he used. Perception is reality, and parents might think you have a bomb or [might be] violent.”

The perception is that the adults in the school’s administration can’t exercise their own common-sense judgment without a “manifestation hearing” to determine whether a drawing of a cartoon bomb makes everyone unsafe. I’d call that a manifestation of incompetence.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

nothing contradicts my brilliant remarks.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Nothing supports them either. I guess you think being cocky is the equivalent of posting facts.

Except for the fact that he didn’t talk about blowing things up.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Oh, is that a fact? Who told you that? His mother? I can post a link to another mother who says the Boston bomber is a good boy. Certainly not AT ALL the same thing, but also certainly not established facts.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Ronnie, you’re claiming that this kid is a problem because he MIGHT have said something to other students.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You lie.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Ronnie, get back to me after you’ve watched the video report.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Don’t get back to me. You’re too immature.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Ronnie, did you watch the video? Do you even know what this kid provided as a reason for drawing the bomb?

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Yes and yes. I’m fully versed in the mentally ill kid’s side of the story.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s not a lie. You claimed that this kid was a problem because we don’t know what he said to the other students. If you want to back away from that claim, then clarify your position now.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Repeating the lie does not make it true. I have no idea whether he was a problem. Someone thought he was. If they want to investigate it and suspend him while they do, well, as much as I hate zero tolerance and am disgusted by public schools, I don’t have a real issue with this one. It’s profiling. Profiling works. That doesn’t mean every person you profile is a problem. Clarified? You lied.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

You are trying to apply normal, rational thought to this kid’s story, yet he has a condition that often makes him abnormal and irrational. Knee-jerk outrage doesn’t fit this case.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Do you believe that he draw it because of his fondness for the video game?

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

It’s probably true.

Btw, are you calling autism a mental illness? I’d like to get this on record.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Yes. I don’t believe political correctness should enter into medicine. Hey, I don’t know if he’s such a mild case that this is just as benign as if it came from any other kid. Hell, maybe he’s Rain Man or maybe he built the real thing in his closet because he’s really REALLY fond of the video game. I. Don’t. Know. And neither do you. Special needs means special precautions. That doesn’t mean you put him in a mainstream school and pretend he’s mainstream. These are the politically incorrect facts of life.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Or do you not understand the difference?

blink on October 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

You can disagree withe me all you want — hell, everyone can if they like. If you just want to be a jerk, go find someone else to play with.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You want a stupid investigation into nothing.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I don’t think it would be stupid, but I do hope it’s nothing.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I get it.

blink on October 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

No you don’t. You just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you. It’s what losers do. If you want to twist what I said to make yourself feel better, that’s fine. I have enough experience on this subject to know that you’re talking out of your ass. Bye.

Ronnie on October 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

blink on October 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Wow, you are so much nicer than I am. To look into the eyes of an obvious coward and bully and attempt communication is just beyond me. I, unfortunately, have a reputation for not countenancing fools.

danielreyes on October 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM