Green Room

Politico columnist: Thank goodness Obama is taking on the Redskins

posted at 12:57 pm on October 8, 2013 by

I’ll share the first four paragraphs with you, and then you have to decide whether Roger Simon (not the Roger L. Simon of Pajamas Media, by the way) is serious or is belittling Barack Obama’s priorities in his Politico column today:

The true measure of a leader is not what battles he wins, but what battles he takes on.

Just because the outcome appears hopeless does not mean the fight is worthless. The hopeless causes of today are the realized dreams of tomorrow.

And so, while facing a government shutdown, the possibility of a debt default, a war in Afghanistan, a poison gas crisis with Syria, a nuclear crisis with Iran and North Korea and the continuing struggle against global terrorism, President Barack Obama has decided to take on a new conflict:

The Washington Redskins. Not the team, but the name.

Now, that would be an awesome open to a critical column about the President’s attention span in the budget impasse. He wants to negotiate a name change to a sports team, but not budget reform with Republicans?

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

But what difference do polls make on matters of morality? You can’t poll the rightness or wrongness of things.

Um, we do this all the time. Betcha ol’ Roger has probably pointed to such polls in the past, too, when they supported a position he has. When they don’t, of course, the methodology is questionable and, you know, you shouldn’t really be polling on it anyway.

This whole non-troversy is so patently ridiculous, the people peddling it simply cannot be taken seriously.

changer1701 on October 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The POTUS attention span is not good enough for him to keep his mouth shut. ie Conn. Cops vs. Bill Gates, Trayvon Martin…

He thinks the world wants to know his opinion of everything. Even when he is wrong. A National Divider.

Sabercat2 on October 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

He may be serious about the subject, but not a serious person.

John the Libertarian on October 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

“When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set.” ~ Lin Yutang

SpiderMike on October 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Roger Simon isn’t just a “columnist”, he’s one of the cofounders or coowners of Politico and is a bigger Obama suck up than Michelle.

Marcus on October 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding.

I think he may be mentally ill, seriously.

NotCoach on October 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This just Simon recognizing that Obama can’t handle the big stuff, and when Obama pivots to the low hanging fruit, suckophants like Simon recognize the need to bolster the lily livered fool’s moves.
Hence, articles such as this one as prima facie evidence.

44Magnum on October 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding.

Wow. I really thought it was snark. Going to read the rest of the article now.

Chris of Rights on October 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Is the name Sitting Bulls taken?

cbenoistd on October 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Their god child fiddles while the country burns and they are enraptured by the tune.

Dr. Frank Enstine on October 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

In keeping with Obama’s priorities–the Washington Foreskins?

ElectricPhase on October 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Rainbow…uh…helmeted, of course.

ElectricPhase on October 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

You mean the Landover Millionaires?

Galtian on October 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding.

Politico. If it were on paper my birds would crap on it.

If Politico said the sky was blue I’d ask for a second, third and fourth opinion.

Pass.

kim roy on October 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding.

I think he may be mentally ill, seriously.

NotCoach on October 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

…I think this is common… in the Politburo Press!

KOOLAID2 on October 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I think he may be mentally ill, seriously.

NotCoach on October 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thank heavens there’s Obamacare!

Shy Guy on October 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

This is in line with Obama’s fascination with righting all of the wrongs that occurred during the white man’s occupation of other countries.

jediwebdude on October 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Unfortunately, Simon is serious. No, I’m not kidding

Honestly, I can’t believe you. Nobody with the ability to spell cat would be so dumb as to be serious about Obama taking on the Redskins.

Herb on October 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

As someone with Indian heritage I think that every team named after Indian culture should change their names. It seems that anything that brings to light the Indian culture is an insult to Indians and liberals. I say lets pass a law that does away with anything even remotely related to Indian culture. Rename stores, products, teams, states, cities, towns, rivers and mountains. Lets give back to Indians their culture and let it never be used again to name places or promote products. It will be a tough undertaking but. I’m sure that we are up to the task and in a couple of generation the children of this country will never know that Indians ever existed. Let the Indian culture die in obscurity as it should.

Dr. Frank Enstine on October 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I’m a white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes. As such I am absolutely offended by the term “Viking“.
It’s a disparagement of my historical culture.

We are not barbarians after all. Likewise and for similar reasons, the names “Buccaneers” and “Raiders“.
They all portray my people as criminals.

Knock that crap off.

Also, since one man’s patriot is another man’s scoundrel, something should probably be done about Boston, but I am ambivalent about it.

papertiger on October 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Tribe: Cleveland Indians is offencive.

Resist We Much on October 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Well, clearly Redskins is offensive. Let’s get something that makes more sense with the times. How about we change Skins to Shirts, and Red to Brown?

The Washington Brownshirts.

Who’s with me?

Chris of Rights on October 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I like Brownshirts! But I thought in our post racial society skin color wasn’t supposed to matter.

claudius on October 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

papertiger on October 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I have blonde hair and green eyes, and my wife says I’m a barbarian.

claudius on October 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

1. It is astounding that Simon wrote that seriously.

2. Obama isn’t “taking it on”, he’s voting present again. He didn’t say, “Mr. Owner, tear down this name!” He said (paraphrasing), “If I owned the team I’d think about changing the name.” He didn’t even have the balls to say, “If it was my team I’d change the name”. He’d “think” about it. When my Mom said that I knew I wasn’t getting the car keys, mkay?

It’s amazing how these fawners will blow up Obama’s every mealy-mouthed utterance into a Churchillian opus.

And by the way, the actual owner has already thought about changing the name, so he’s just as good as Obama on the subject, Mr. Simon!

Meremortal on October 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Oh, and I hate the Redskins. Not the name, the team.

Meremortal on October 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Typical moronic liberal for typical Liberal Politico. We have pages of issues that’s imploding this country & creating anger abroad & this twit wants to continue the Redskins fight. Team established in 1932 & now a group of pansies want some tv face time or to see their name in ink by being provocative. Over 70% have no problem with it & there hasn’t been one in over 80 years.

RdLake on October 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM