Green Room

Scott Walker to National Parks Service: Pound sand

posted at 2:24 pm on October 3, 2013 by

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker isn’t a fan of the government shutdown, and has taken more of the “pox on both houses” approach to criticism of it.  However, he’s really not a fan of the Washington Monument strategy — and when the National Parks Service tried to get Wisconsin to shut down shared areas, Walker’s administration told them to pound sand:

The state Department of Natural Resources on Wednesday refused a directive from the National Park Service to close a host of popular state properties because of the federal government shutdown.

The park service ordered state officials to close the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine, Devil’s Lake, and Interstate state parks and the state-owned portion of the Horicon Marsh, but state authorities rebuffed the request because the lion’s share of the funding came from state, not federal coffers.

State officials opted to keep public lands open as Gov. Scott Walker blamed both Republicans and Democrats for the partial government shutdown and said congressional leaders should run the nation more like Wisconsin. Democrats balked at those comments, saying the Republican governor has had a tumultuous tenure that has divided people.

That wasn’t just tough talk, either:

The agency also reopened a boat launch Wednesdayat Wyalusing State Park on the Mississippi River. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service closed the launch on Tuesday because it was on federal land.

But in a sign of defiance, the DNR removed the barricades at the landing, saying it had the legal authority to operate the launch under a 1961 agreement with the federal government.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Sterling Holobyte on October 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I said nothing of the sort, nor is that anything close to what I was trying to say.

Nowhere did I say or imply that Democrats’ walking out was either Walker’s fault, or his responsibility. And I fully agree that WI Dems behaved abysmally.

BUT, and this is important, so pay attention, Walker didn’t call them on their bad behavior. Notice he didn’t say the “Feds should run the nation more like Wisconsin REPUBLICANS,” he said the “Feds should run the nation more like WISCONSIN.”

I have a huge problem with that. For the record, that is not “misplaced anger,” unless you yourself suffer from that same “misplaced anger” as well. See your own comments: “…multitude of children…spoiled brats…connive and deceive…throw tantrums…try to “get their way”…tantrum-throwing…”

Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Nowhere did I say or imply that Democrats’ walking out was either Walker’s fault, or his responsibility. Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I have a huge problem with that.
Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

So, it was his RESPONSIBILITY to “call them out on their bad behavior”? But that’s not what you were trying to say, huh?!
There was no need to “call them out” in the first place. Everyone could see their bad behavior. Walker stayed focused on the task at hand. He already had enough agitators on his plate; from the dems, to the unions, to the paid protesters.

Yeah, I noticed.
…so?
Everyone can see that Wisconsin has a Republican state administration now. Did you really need that spelled out for you?

Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I was trying to illustrate what I perceived your view to be with an example you might understand. And the terms I used were not very far from the truth of what transpired. They were acting like children, and they were throwing tantrums and “running away from home.”

But I am starting to think none of those facts matter to you, and your nonsensical arguments against Gov. Walker has me thinking about you what others have already mentioned: Plant.

Sterling Holobyte on October 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM

No, dear, his RESPONSIBILITY was to tell the TRUTH: Namely, the Feds, just like WI Dems, are taking their ball and going home, rather than doing their jobs. I disagree, but apparently you think that’s all fine and dandy.

Yeah, I noticed, too.
…so?
That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, nor do after-the-fact events change the original timeline of what happened in WI.

So, you’re running away from your own argument. Try to remember the first rule of holes.

The Feds, whether you have the guts to admit it or not, should be acting like adults, not like children. So, while WI Republicans acted honorably, WI government as a whole did not. If you disagree, please explain why, and try to do it like an adult.

Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Read the story. Walker didn’t say the “Feds should run the nation more like Wisconsin REPUBLICANS” (an assertion with which I would agree), he said “Walker who said that the “Feds should run the nation more like WISCONSIN.”

So your strident reaction is due to your response to one word not uttered?

Gee Whiz.

Murphy9 on October 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

So your strident reaction is due to your response to one word not uttered?
Gee Whiz.
Murphy9 on October 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

When one word changes the entire story, yes. Nice to see after pulling your teeth that you finally agree with me.

Maddie on October 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Top Pick

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Top Pick

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey