Green Room

Ten years later …

posted at 8:19 am on October 2, 2013 by

… I’m still here.  In fact, I didn’t even realize that today was my 10th anniversary in blogging (“blogiversary”) until Jeryl Bier, who now writes for the Weekly Standard, dropped me a note of congratulations early today. I have now done this professionally for longer than I did it as a hobby, which seems very strange — and very wonderful — to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank readers here at Hot Air, my colleagues here and at Townhall, Salem Communications, and the Boss Emeritus for all of the many kindnesses and years of support. I hope to be here ten years from now to celebrate that blogiversary, too.

Update: By request, here’s the link to my first post.  But I’ll be happy to post it in its entirety:

Welcome to the Captain’s Quarters!

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas which on him prey
And these have smaller still to bite ‘em,
and so proceed ad infinitum.

Thus every poet, in his kind,
Is bit by him who comes behind.

– Jonathan Swift

I love this quote, and I’ve had it memorized since I first read it in Tom Burnham’s Dictionary of Misinformation. In fact, I think it explains blogs and their popularity, and in some degrees their incestuousness. Glenn Reynolds or Andrew Sullivan read a news story, and they post a commentary, and then other blogs post commentaries to their commentaries, and so proceed ad infinitum.

Don’t get me wrong – I think that’s terrific! We need an open market for political discussion. Hash things out to the nth degree. Argue, bicker, and scold. The trick is to keep your head, check your assumptions, and expose yourselves to differing points of view. That’s what I will try to do here. I hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

I have enjoyed the hell out of it for ten years — thanks to all of you.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Congrats Ed. Many more!

Steve Eggleston on October 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Congrats Ed. You were one of the first bloggers I ran into when I first started getting into blogs and I’ve been a reader ever since.

gwelf on October 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

onomo on October 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

For The Win!

Steve Eggleston on October 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Ditto for me Gwelf! Congrats Ed!

geojed on October 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I would say congratulations, but I’m waiting for blugills to tell us all what to think.

cozmo on October 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Congrats, Ed. I just hope there are political items worth blogging about in 10 years.

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Congrats, Ed.

Don’t ever stop.

Abby Adams on October 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Steve Eggleston on October 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks Steve. Its a little sappy, but Ed was like my Morpheus. Something to think about your next television interview Ed.
Dark sunglass, black leather… everything I guess. If its msnbc, offer’em a red tic tac ;)

onomo on October 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

As a relatively young guy without much political inclination, I started reading HotAir in 2006. Since your arrival, Ed, your writing has played a fundamental role in shaping the way in which I look at politics and conservatism. Thank you for doing what you do and here’s to many more years!

raxx on October 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Congrats Ed! The blogosphere is a better place because you are here.

simkeith on October 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Ed, you’re the best. Looking forward to another decade of your excellent analysis and insight.

Common Sense Floridian on October 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I have enjoyed your work for all these years. I read you at Captain’s Quarters and have been a diligent reader here since Day 1. I have always appreciated your respectful,and fair-minded style. Congratulations and best wishes for many more years behind the keypad…and mike.

Blaise on October 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

onomo on October 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

LOL! That would be a hoot!

Congratulations, Captain Ed! :)
Fair winds and following seas to you!

GWB on October 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM

A well-deserved Congrats Captain! Someone should make a highlight reel and showcase “Morrissey’s Greatest Hits” over the years. One of my favs was Ed making Olbermann’s Worst Person List and Best Person List.

JetBoy on October 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Congrats, Captain Ed!

22044 on October 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Keep up the good work Ed. I’m looking forward to many more posts to come.

Imrahil on October 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Um, where’s the cake? I was told there might be cake.

Congrats, Ed!

Fallon on October 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Captain on deck!

eforhan on October 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Congratulations, Ed. I started reading your stuff at Captain’s Quarters linked off LGF lo, these many moons ago. Here’s to many more of the same.

cheers

eon

eon on October 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Um, where’s the cake? I was told there might be cake.

Congrats, Ed!

Fallon on October 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Here’s Edith. But just remember, you can’t have your cake and Edith, too.

Ed Morrissey on October 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My jokes are even older than my blogging career.

Ed Morrissey on October 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

For this accomplishment, you may tell the best or worst jokes/puns you want, Ed.

Just don’t expect me to read ‘em. :)

22044 on October 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Ed Morrissey on October 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I was thinking more of a gopher cake, but whatever…

Fallon on October 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Congratulations Ed.

And tell all the bad jokes you want. Hotair was one of the first political blogs/websites I came across that has kept me coming back faithfully.

Logus on October 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Congratulations Ed. Blogging for a decade is no easy feat.

Ten Years Gone

rukiddingme on October 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Here’s Edith. But just remember, you can’t have your cake and Edith, too.

Ed Morrissey on October 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Woah. Sometimes old jokes are the finest best. Never had that much of a sweet tooth anyhow.

onomo on October 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Congratulations, Captain!

I read you a bit at Captain’s Quarters, and was very happy when you joined HotAir….

ITguy on October 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The good ones hang around a long time. You, Rush, Michelle. People keep listening when you speak the truth. Congratulations Ed

keioki on October 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Congrats, and hopefully you have many more years left in you to continue blogging.

NotCoach on October 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

BTW, how about a link to your very first blog post? If it still exists that is. :P

NotCoach on October 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Congrats, Ed!

I remember how I first found Captain’s Quarters: I was reading Townhall because of Thomas Sowell and some of its other famous columnists, and I noticed it had a blogroll on the left. The five sites were Instapundit, Michelle Malkin, Little Green Footballs, Power Line, and Captain’s Quarters. The Captain quickly became my favorite (with Malkin a close second). I have to admit that I only went to Hot Air when MM linked to it (the Vents!). Then, The Captain announced he was shutting his blog down to join Hot Air, and I’ve been here ever since.

Hail fellow well met!

Al in St. Lou on October 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

NotCoach on October 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Google led me to a page which began thus

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas which on him prey
And these have smaller still to bite ‘em,
and so proceed ad infinitum.

Thus every poet, in his kind,
Is bit by him who comes behind.

– Jonathan Swift

Al in St. Lou on October 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

More from The Captain’s original post

Al in St. Lou on October 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Congrats, Ed!

I remember how I first found Captain’s Quarters:

Al in St. Lou on October 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Drew. Excellent artist, sent me a pencil cartoon of “Air America” (?). Recognized Al Franken but I didn’t get it. My politics at the time were, “I refuse to belong to any organization that would have me as a member”-Grouch Marx… I guess I was a marxist (old joke 2)
Really more of a Breitbart early days liberal (before the red pill of course). Drew directed me to Captains Quarters and another site perhaps-can’t recall, ’bout 7-8 years ago.
I occasionally email Drew, “I hope you’re happy! I could be sit’n on the couch, play’n xbox happy as can be. But no. Now I know. Thanks to you.”
But I’ll always remember what he wrote with the Captain’s link; “I want the truth. Then I’ll decide.”
Many thanks Ed. And Drew.

Hail fellow well met!

onomo on October 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Well, Ed, you do a heck of a great job at it. I do get the context of the fleas, but would suggest he was describing liberals. And thanks to Michelle Malkin for recognizing talent.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

And MANY MANY more!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Best wishes on your blogiversary, Ed. I’ve enjoyed the years you’ve been at Hot Air.

Here’s hoping for another ten.

*clink*

jaime on October 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

congrats, Ed. You’re a good man.

Bobbertsan on October 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

gwelf on October 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I agree.

Captain Ed is wonderful to read. His strong suit is Economics, and I routinely forward his articles to friends of a different political persuasion (and who often come across as arguing, “why can’t the government just print more money?”).

Congratulations Captain Ed.

ColtsFan on October 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Congratulations!

Ted Torgerson on October 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for ten good years, Ed. Here’s to many more!

Mr. Bultitude on October 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Congrats, Ed. And good luck for the next ten years!

Valkyriepundit on October 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Congratulations Ed.

rbj on October 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Ed, I’m afraid I didn’t read Captain’s Quarters in the beginning. Once I began, however, every day your blog was a “must read” for me.

Thank you for providing information that the MSM fails to deliver, and for sharing your wise opinions. All is done with respect, humor, thoughtfulness and grace.

You are a gem. And – Allah ain’t chopped liver, either :)

pbundy on October 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Congratulations. I ran across you just before you moved over to Hotair. This has been one of my 3 daily blogs read ever since, along with Ace of Spaces and LegalInsurrection.

Keep up the good work.