Green Room

Reason: 3 reasons ObamaCare isn’t Apple

posted at 5:28 pm on October 1, 2013 by

Nick Gillespie deftly dispenses with the most inane talking point of the day from ObamaCare Central:

But here are three reasons why Obamacare aint no iPhone.

1. Apple Products Are, um, Voluntary.

Using Apple products is strictly voluntary. Unlike Obamacare, nobody is forced to pick up the latest iPhone or Mac. And thank god, nobody is forced to use inferior offerings such as Apple Maps.

2. Apple Can Go Out of Business.

Apple, like other once-mighty tech giants such as Nokia and RIM, is only a string of bad releases away from going belly up. The federal government? Not so much.

3. Apple Stores Are Occasionally Open.

Even on its busiest days, you can usually get into an Apple store. And you can always get online at Apple.com. Compare that to the experience of earlybirds trying to access the health insurance exchanges at Healthcare.gov or residents of whole states such as Colorado and Oregon, where there are major delays.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

When you do go into an Apple store, the employees are friendly, helpful, and get you in and out in a hurry. Government employees, not so much.

Kafir on October 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Kafir on October 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Your experiences at the Apple store do not mirror mine. Whenever I visit the place, I’m amazed that anyone actually buys Apple products.

Chris of Rights on October 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Apple stores are little temples of narcissus.

Murphy9 on October 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Chris of Rights on October 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

That’s been my experience as well.

Apple stores remind me of liberals.

cozmo on October 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Another Obama lie. 4 Pinocchios.

Apples tested iPhones like crazy to make sure they work before the iPhones were ever been put on the market.

On the other hand, Siri and Apple Maps are like Obamacare. Crap from day one.

slp on October 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Actually, Apple reminds me of conservatives and libertarians.

Great capitalism.

Uber excellence in products and culture. Only in a company that celebrates capitalism.

No compromise.

No whining. Jobs didn’t believe in giving his employee a lot of freebies or things people hadn’t earned.

Liberals have turned on Apple because it messed them up during the Occupy protests (“Hey, who do you think makes your iPhones?”).

Yeah, Apple sometimes does things that grate on me, but their whole culture is a celebration of those things that socialism destroys.

Two cheers for Apple.

Whitewolf7070 on October 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

4. Apple doesn’t make me pay for other people’s iPhones.

Chris of Rights on October 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Whitewolf7070 on October 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Actually, I am a fan of several of Apple products. Their store is the worst shopping experience ever. I’m not sure you could make it worse if you tried. If every Apple store in America vanished into a black hole tomorrow, the country would be better off.

Chris of Rights on October 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

4. Apple doesn’t dictate the specifications for all of the products in the market. Apple’s competitors are not required to provide exactly the same products Apple provides. Apple cannot make it illegal for its competitors to provide similar products that are different from those Apple provides.

5. Apple is not in the insurance business. Insurance is a service business. Apple makes things — computer hardware and software.

6. Apple does not subsidize some of its customers at the expense of others, offering lower prices to some based on their income. It charges everyone the same price. In fact, it would be illegal for Apple to do otherwise.

And so on and so forth.

Comrade O’s analogy exposes his total and complete ignorance of free enterprise and free markets and how they work. But then, that’s typical for socialists.

farsighted on October 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

farsighted on October 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

…that….is good!

KOOLAID2 on October 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

If I don’t buy an iPhone or a Macbook I don’t have to pay a tax.

HiJack on October 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

No one will die due to incompetence at Apple

Ronnie on October 2, 2013 at 1:01 AM

This year’s iPhones don’t cost twice as much as last year’s iPhones.

Ronnie on October 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Apple isn’t run by an evil piece of sh!t.

Ronnie on October 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM

someone smarting than i needs to tie this together with the Obamaphone and Nausea Inducing Apple iOS stories.

hurricain on October 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

When comparing Obamacare to Apple they forget that small glitches may be excusable, but many others would be considered unacceptable.

If updating to iOS7 chewed up your data package leaving you with a phone bill that was 400% higher than your previous phone bill, that would be unacceptable, and people would cry bloody murder and tell everyone else to buy a Samsung Galaxy.

That is a better comparison of Apple and Obamacare…

publius75 on October 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

If I like my iPhone I can keep my iPhone.

eyesky on October 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Last years medical insurance cost half what my new ObmaCare plan I’m being forced to take effective Jan. 1. I can’t keep my doctor or my insurance provider thanks to Obama and the Democrats.

simkeith on October 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Apple doesn’t have a panel of appointees who decide whether or not you get one of their products.

Kafir on October 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Apple stores are little temples of narcissus.

Murphy9 on October 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

And that is the one way in which the two are alike.

and tell everyone else to buy a Samsung Galaxy.

publius75 on October 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Which is where they are totally different.

GWB on October 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Apple puts out devices that makes peoples lives more productive and entertaining, The feds put out programs like Ocare that make people’s lives more miserable.

veni vidi vici on October 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

99.7% of the time, Apple products work effectively.

Wyznowski on October 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM