Green Room

Video: Teen seeks out father’s victim to apologize, pay restitution

posted at 6:16 pm on September 30, 2013 by

We’ve certainly heard about the Holloway 300, the hundreds of teenagers who ransacked former NFL player Brian Holloway’s house without a hint of remorse — and some of whose parents threatened to sue Holloway for violating their teens’ privacy for attempting to shame them into accountability.

Here’s one teen who didn’t get all the breaks in life, but still knows right from wrong, and family honor rather than shamelessness. After the last few days, we need a reason to hope, and 15-year-old Christian Lunsford provides it:

She was mugged as she visited her husband’s grave.

The mugger got away with her purse and $700, but not for long. Police caught him, and the news put his mug shot on TV.

Fifteen-year-old Christian Lunsford says the first time he saw the picture, he recognized it “in detail.” He had no doubt that it was his dad.

Christian says his parents divorced when he was two, and his dad has been mostly absent ever since. Last time he heard from him was a few weeks ago. His dad gave him $250 for a band trip Christian really wants to go on. …

The apple wants nothing to do with the tree. Which is why, after Christian heard about his dad’s latest crime, he reached out to the victim and asked to meet her in a church parking lot.

“You think, ‘What’s going on here?’” Tona says.

A lot more than she thought. Be sure to watch it all.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I have something in my eye, can’t quite see the screen…God Bless them both.

txmomof6 on September 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Christian Lunsford, I don’t think you have to worry about how you will turn out in a few years.

gryphon202 on September 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The son should not have to apologize for his father’s crime.

bluegill on September 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

If HotAir posted this tear-inducing story, I missed it.
You shouldn’t miss it:

This dear boy desperately wanted to be a blessing to his handicapped brother, so he wrote to a TV news station for help, yet he refused to ask for money or any gift.
He only wanted to borrow something.
Kleenex alert!

itsnotaboutme on September 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM

If that don’t choke ya up a little…. you’re lib/prog!
Maybe there is hope for this next Gen?

hutch1200 on September 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The son should not have to apologize for his father’s crime.

bluegill on September 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No, but the son thought it was the right thing to do. That’s good enough for me.

gryphon202 on September 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Damn allergies

What a great story

gophergirl on September 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

txmomof6 on September 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM

There is a lot of dust in the air here as well.

Grunt on September 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

gryphon202 on September 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No kidding – he’s going to be just fine

gophergirl on September 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The son should not have to apologize for his father’s crime.

bluegill on September 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I didn’t get a sense at all that he had to. For some reason he felt it was the right thing to do. I believe I understand.

DaveDief on September 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

The son was named appropriately…

right2bright on September 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Was she carrying so much cash because she doesn’t use ATMs or credit cards?

blink on September 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM

ummmmmm…..for some people who have actually worked all of their life, $700 in cash is not unusual to be carrying.

right2bright on September 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Holding hands throughout the meeting… as difficult as it is to touch a stranger, it seemed natural for them. Nice.

ExpressoBold on September 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I could only hope he’ll run for Congress one day. An honest politician. What a novelty that would be.

NoPain on September 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM

What a great mom that fine young man must have!

Rational Thought on September 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

dramatic reenactment

quit your weeping…Putin would laugh at you.

tlynch001 on September 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

He goes to the church that they were at, I know because I go there. Yes he is a good kid. And yes the family is a nice and caring family. Got freaked out when I was watching the news and reconized the family. Blink, it is not uncommon for older people to carry ‘pocket change’around here, guess they feel safer then where your at.

4reds on September 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

And the boy becomes a man.

CurtZHP on September 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Where’s the other $450, ya punk! And get off my lawn!

John the Libertarian on September 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

blink on September 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Why would you think that was any of your damn business?

katy the mean old lady on September 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM

…what a good kid!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Video: Teen seeks out father’s victim to apologize, pay restitution

Wow. This kid has more character than most adults.

rukiddingme on September 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

It’s not simply a matter of feeling safer. Cash can also be lost, but whatever. I wonder how long it typically takes the woman to blow through her ‘pocket change.’ A week? A few days?

blink on September 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

You are a wonderment. Your attitude on life needs to adjust itself to something other than thinking the worst of people.

Roll the tape again, and take a look at the woman. How much jewelry is she wearing? How fancy is it? Look at the walking cane. Does it look gold plated? That sweater. Is it the height of fashion? The wrist watch. Got a lot of diamonds? The car in the back of the picture. A Chrysler Mercedes?

Please “articulate” exactly what you think she is buying whilst “blowing through her pocket change”. What makes you think that $250 is nothing to this lady? You have a choice here. Articulate a bit more, digging it deeper, or offer an apology to the lady. It will be your choice, and your choice will show far more about you than it ever will about either of the individuals in this story.

unclesmrgol on October 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM

4reds on September 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

You might be interested in this. Notice the name of the website, and tell me how it squares with your church:

We’ll see if the moderator takes this comment:

Heh. Given the church (First Baptist Church of Moore) this kid attends, he’s probably a TeaPublican.

unclesmrgol on October 1, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I’m lucky enough to wonder whatever I want without you bring able to stop me. In fact, I can even articulate my wonderment verbally or in writing.

blink on September 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Looks like someone needs an enema. Kind of makes me wonder if this kid isn’t perhaps making you feel a little inadequate somehow, Blinky.

gryphon202 on October 1, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Now that is some real hope and change.God bless them both!

redware on October 1, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Tried to watch. The AD played, but the story wouldn’t.

oldleprechaun on October 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

blink on September 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Perhaps Blink suddenly wonders whether hanging out in cemeteries, waiting for little old ladies to come by, is an exciting new career opportunity.

Tom Servo on October 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

What a great mom that fine young man must have!

Rational Thought on September 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Can’t be said enough. He had to learn it somewhere, and that somewhere is first at home and then at church.

talking_mouse on October 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

blink on September 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Most likely she carried around the cash because she grew up hearing stories of the Great Depression from her parents. When my wife’s grandmother passed away and the family went through the house, they found over $3,000 dollars sewn into the drapes over the windows.

dominigan on October 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Reminds me of a Jewish guy that I know. Especially when the news guy makes his comment at 2:10-2:13.

Know It All on October 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Can’t give him the enema until he moves his head out of the way.

Blank, envy much?

Wino on October 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

How heartening is this to see? Very.

The young man demonstrated a maturity beyond his years. God bless him.

PatriotGal2257 on October 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The son should not have to apologize for his father’s crime.

bluegill on September 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I think you’re missing the point of the excercise.

Nobody told this young man he had to do anything and nobody said he was in any way responsible to pay or apologize for the sins and debts of his criminal deadbeat dad.

He chose to step up on his own, I believe, to assert to himself and the world that he is only his father’s son in the biological sense and not the behavioral or moral sense.

Pretty sure this guy would have heard the Telltale Heart beating away at him if he went to camp thinking it was paid for by the poor widow.

His act of kindness was/is a manly & proper thing to do, regardless of any responsibility he might have had for what happened, which as you sorta point out is zero.

Sacramento on October 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

blink on September 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I won’t ask; I’ll just say it. It is none of your business.

And the fish, as usual, gets it wrong.

davidk on October 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Reminds me of a favorite line from a comic series called Top 10. There’s a teleporter accident, and two people lie dying underneath the stars. One asks the other about his philosophy of a chess-style “great game” between the powers of light and darkness as reflected in the stars shining in the darkness, and whether the sea of darkness means we’re losing. The other responds, “No. Once there was only Black. We are winning. We can go.”

JeremiahJohnson on October 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That got to me. God bless the both of them. God was working in that one for sure. Gives me a little more hope for humanity.

Conservchik on October 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM