Green Room

Marylanders rushing to buy guns before new gun-control laws take effect next week

posted at 1:30 pm on September 25, 2013 by

Gettin’ while the gettin’s still good. Via the Baltimore Sun:

Marylanders have been rushing to buy guns at a rate of 1,000 a day over the past two weeks, hastening the pace of an unprecedented surge in gun sales.

More than 102,000 gun purchase applications have been submitted so far this year — twice the number for all of 2011, state police said Monday.

“It’s like Prohibition,” said Rick Kain, a gun owner from Howard County. “People want to get their guns before the law takes effect.”

Maryland’s tough new gun control law takes effect next week, banning the sale of assault-style rifles and requiring fingerprints and a license to buy a handgun. This month, a swarm of requests hit the Maryland State Police background check system at a pace roughly seven times that during the same time last year.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Same in CA. Picking up my two new AR15′s next Monday.

peski on September 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

They can come over the border and buy them in VA. Unless Terry McAuliffe gets elected.

My money’s on Marylanders buying their guns here.

Meryl Yourish on September 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Better to have a gun, when seconds count, and police are minutes away.

When would be the penalty if caught carring? Do they impose the same on the criminals?

Sabercat2 on September 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Get’em while you can – you’re going to need them for the coming zombie* apocalypse.

* “Zombie” may be used to mean any one or combination of the following: Muslim jihadists, crack-heads, welfare scum, aliens (of ALL types), gang-bangers, drugged out trayvons, gun-grabbers, libtard obamatrons, etc….

dentarthurdent on September 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Same in CA. Picking up my two new AR15′s next Monday.

peski on September 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I was told back in 2010 that Jerry Brown supports the second amendment. I’m sure he’ll veto the 14 gun control bills on his desk, right?????

I just got 5 30 round magazine rebuild kits delivered yesterday. Remember to get your rebuild kits while they’re still legal.

I’ll probably pick up a stripped lower or two before the year is up.

El_Terrible on September 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

But I have been told daily that the vast majority of Americans want “sensible” gun control.

Cindy Munford on September 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Cindy Munford on September 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

We do.
The most sensible gun control is to use 2 hands to get tight groupings around the bullseye.

dentarthurdent on September 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Obviously, some people have way too much money and need to redistribute it to those of us who can’t afford to run out and buy firearms.

GWB on September 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Marylanders, you voted for it. Now don’t tell me you’re surprised.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

—HL Mencken

clear ether

eon

eon on September 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If any Marylanders on here miss the deadline and want a gun, if you pay this Virginian’s admission at the Dulles gun show sometime, and I’ll buy you whatever gun you want. Just be ready to prove you’re not a liberal so that I know you’re not going to use it to go on a shooting rampage.

crrr6 on September 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I’d be curious to know what percentage of those people rushing to get guns voted for O’Malley. I’m confident the number is not zero.

SAZMD on September 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m sure their personal info (name and addresses) will soon be leaked to anti-gunner websites. Google maps with little crosshair targets to follow!

Marcola on September 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Barack Obama voted BEST GUN SALESMAN EVAH!

GarandFan on September 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

GWB on September 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Do what I did – they had a “gun buy-back program” in my area, in which they were paying you with hundred-dollar Walmart gift cards.

Now I’ve heard several talk-show hosts make fun of these gift cards, saying stuff like “maybe you can sharpen the gift card and scare the bad guy away” (or something like that), but I saw it differently. Walmart sells several very nice rifles, and a hundred dollar discount (courtesy of a worthless, busted .38) was kind of awesome.

Besides, taking advantage of liberals totally rocks.

Squiggy on September 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

crrr6 on September 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

FYI: It’s illegal to transfer a handgun to a resident of a different state unless you go through a FFL.

LibertarianRepublican on September 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Barack Obama voted BEST GUN SALESMAN EVAH!

GarandFan on September 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

…think he’s getting a commission?

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Incrementalism is the lefty’s stock in trade. One state at a time.

Fenris on September 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM

As a MD resident this law, above all the other crap this state forces on me, bothers me the most. I have made it a personal mission to make every elected official that voted yes on this pay for it. For example, I send emails out every day talking about it to them, and come election time I will be screaming for their loss at the ballot box.

Gatsu on September 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM