Green Room

Stranahan Report #1: Do American Christians Care?

posted at 11:07 am on September 22, 2013 by

I got a note yesterday from Lee Stranahan on his trip to Beirut to report on the plight of Syrian Christian refugees from the civil war.  He’s on the ground and starting his work — and almost out of cash, but we’ll get to that later.  In his first report, Lee wonders why American Christians haven’t taken more of an interest in this story:

On the plane into Beirut, I sat next to a man named Fadi, a Lebanese native and Maronite Christian who was now living in France. His father had passed away in Lebanon a few months ago and now the family was getting together for a momorial.

We talked about the strikes by the Syrian rebels agains the town of Maloula that I’ve written about for Breitbart News. Fadi [asked:]

“The Christians in the United States, do they care about what’s happening to the Christians here?”

Well, that’s the question for Americans, isn’t it? That’s the question for you, really.

So far, the media has decided you don’t care. And the Obama administration appears to pinned their forigen policy public approval hopes in the Middle East on the notion that Americans will either not notice or not care what’s been happening to Christians here.

Lee also has a post about his first day in Beirut, meeting people and getting the lay of the land, and has a number of photos from his walkabout.  One of the people he met was this Beirut cabbie, whom Lee says has more sense than some Americans:

While taking a cab across Beirut, I met this cab driver who LOVES America. When he found out I was American, he was very excited to tell me “America is great! Great like God is great.”He’s never been to the USA himself but his sister and parents live around New York City. His sister’s son has even built a successful restaurant business and has a nice house in New Jersey. THAT is a Dreamer..and they immigrated legally.

In this part of our conversation, the cab driver makes a great point about not the hypocrisy of complaining about America and capitalism while reaping the benefits of it. His analogy is about a well of water as an analogy for what America brings to the world. He says if you don’t want to use those things, fine; don’t drink from the well. But he doesn’t understand using those things and at the same time throwing a stone in the well.

Be sure to follow the link to listen to the short conversation.

Lee has raised enough funds to get in and out of the region, but needs more support to continue his reporting.  Be sure to contribute what you can.  You can see more of Lee’s photojournalism at his Flickr page.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Some of us do. Time to see see how my church can get involved.

njrob on September 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

With over 50% of Catholics voting for a man who openly supports killing helpless babies after the abortion fail with his try and a a man who has shown no inkling to use the power of the mightiest nation in the world to prevent the Christian-cide, it is little wonder that they care not much for their spiritual brethren.

Don L on September 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yes and no.

America might be willing to defend an ally but I don’t think we want anymore open ended responsibilities that have no material return.

What are we to do? Act at the free military for every christian enclave in the world. Its not viable.

Karmashock on September 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It’s not just about Christianity. Just as we support Israel in the Middle East as the only democracy in a sea of dictatorships and theocracies, we should support a religion of peace and love in the Middle East awash in Islam, a religion of war and hate.

Paul-Cincy on September 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Don L on September 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Please don’t overlook nearly the same percentage of people who claim to be “evangelical protestants” who also voted for Emperor Narcissus and his political party.

oldleprechaun on September 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Middle East Christians don’t have oil or horse palaces. What interest would America have in them?

BL@KBIRD on September 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Well, since I come from a church that is based in Syria (http://www.antiochian.org), yeah I care and I’m doing what I can. Contacted my congress critters (they will all vote against a Syrian war resolution), sent money through the diocese to our sister diocese in Syria which just happens to include Maloula, and pray a lot.

If you want to help and don’t want to go through traditional organization that are governmental or leftist, consider this: http://www.iocc.org/

jnials on September 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Karmashock on September 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You get to the heart of it, without saying so: what is American Christians’ interests is not necessarily the American government’s interests. And that is as it should be. The question is what should Christians do about it privately.

One of the developments of modernity in Christianity, is that almost no one contemplates organizing a military unit to go over and protect those folks.

GWB on September 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM

…we have Syrian Christian friends…trying to get their relatives out of Syria…they needed to be to the south of us!
…roadblocks galore!

KOOLAID2 on September 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

America is the safest place to practice Christianity. Christians are among the most marginalized religions in many areas of the world. Religious persecution does not connote Christianity. But Christians are in real danger. This is scary stuff.

He’s on the ground and starting his work — and almost out of cash,

Again? :)

Lee Stranahan is the rare conservative journalist who gets it. He is a motion-graphics expert, and digital artist of genuine acclaim. He is a reporter and has a bloodhound’s nose for news-nuggets. If Andrew Breitbart were alive today, I believe Lee would be his wingman.

Donate to Lee. He’s the real deal. It’s sad to watch him beg. But it’s awesome that he is willing to put himself out there with such limited funding.

Why is this in the Greenroom?

anchorchick on September 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

He needs to broaden his world.

http://www.persecution.com/public/financialaccountability.aspx Total: $39,161,501

Just one of many.

davidk on September 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

oldleprechaun on September 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Maybe I need to broaden my world, too.

I don’t know any evangelical Christians who voted for obama.

davidk on September 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I don’t know any evangelical Christians who voted for obama.

davidk on September 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sadly, I know some who call themselves evangelical who would vote the Satan/Hitler ticket as long as there was a “D” after the names. When my wife spotted a bumper sticker for a democrat candidate on a “Christian’s” friends auto, she challenged them by (politely) asking how they could support someone who supported abortion and many other things that stand in opposition to Scripture. The woman turned and snarled at my wife, “That’s why ballots are secret!” The woman hasn’t spoken to us since. My guess is that she still supports the party of Karl Marx and still deceives herself that she a believer.

oldleprechaun on September 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Why is this in the Greenroom?

anchorchick on September 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Do you mean his bondage photo “art” as “graphics”? *sigh* As with anything, people should google and exercise due diligence before giving money as donations.

And I’d say that with any venture.

kim roy on September 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Just because they’re Christian doesn’t mean they don’t hate the US and Israel.

Blake on September 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

kim roy on September 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If it’s the photo I think it is, that it NOT him or his work; it was something a troll who has been stalking him and his family for years put together and put out. That troll has been taken to court for stalking and harassing more than one blogger, and is a sick individual.

chelie on September 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM

chelie on September 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM

No. It’s more than that and which he has publicly stated is his work. I know who you are speaking of in your comment and agree that the person is a troll.

I don’t want to get into any kind of discussion on this except to say, as I would for any kind of crowd-funding, do due diligence.

kim roy on September 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Nearly every Sunday (and frequently during Bible studies during the week) we specifically include those suffering persecution for the Faith in the Prayer of the Church. Today we prayed for our brothers and sisters whose churches were bombed this morning in Pakistan.

We are confessional Lutherans, members of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

Scribbler on September 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM

People are praying. What more do they want? Don’t they know prayer works? God will help them when He’s good and ready, and if not it wasn’t part of His divine plan.

Problem solved.

Dan_Yul on September 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Really? What a jaundiced view of a mischaracterization of prayer you have. We speak back to God the promises He makes to us in His Word. As we are able, we serve those who are in need. Your cynical fatalism is not a part of our world view. I’m sorry about your world view.

Scribbler on September 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Maybe I need to broaden my world, too.

I don’t know any evangelical Christians who voted for obama.

davidk on September 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Almost half the student body at my alma mater Wheaton College–as “evangelical” as they come–still voted for 0bummer in 2012.

Nutstuyu on September 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Nutstuyu on September 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Really?? I almost went to Wheaton. What is wrong with them?

To answer the thread’s question: Yes, of course we care and prayers for the persecuted saints are made to God constantly. But I struggle to see America’s role in this. I mean, my gut feeling and desire is for us to go stomp the bad guys, but is that what Christ would want?

I believe that it is perfectly good and reasonable to lobby our government to exert diplomatic pressure on countries who violate human rights (which would, of course, include persecution of Christians and other religions). Sanctions and everything we (as a country) can do to pressure these countries into treating their people better is well and good, but I believe prayer as well as financial support through specific ministries are our big tools here.

Othniel on September 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Much to America’s everlasting shame, Christians are being murdered on a daily basis wherever Muslims squat in this world and Emperor Øligula couldn’t care less. The list of countries persecuting Christians is much too long to post here, but the one thing they have in common is Islam and enabling American Democrats. Other Western countries haven’t the stomach for another fight – until it hits them. Even then, they shirk their global and “human rights” responsibilities.
“Uncle Joe” Stalin murdered Christians and Jews, as did “Uncle” Adolph, yet we, I mean ROOSEVELT, supported, aided and abetted the Communists. How did that work out?
So, what is the difference? Whenever Democrats hold power in this country, and, as is their wont, they increasingly attempt to expand that power. In doing so they always ignore those who established and built THE United States.
In Sum: Øb☭ma, he who bows to foreign leaders, has his own, sick, personal agenda and real Christians, not the Jerry Wright type, are suffering. Dems are always quick to assist Islamists, but Christians? NO Way. We might just gain the disfavor of some cretins somewhere.
Meh, but WE are nobodies, “bitter-clingers”, anarchists, etc.
What’s wrong with this picture? The common theme is power; the power to force us to bend to their will and support them – or else!
Sic Semper Tyrannis!