Green Room

Finally: The honest trailer for World War Z

posted at 1:01 pm on September 22, 2013 by

Look, I liked World War Z, but this “honest trailer” from Screen Junkies is one you can’t miss.  More than a few commenters noted at the time that the film left behind some of the best parts of the source material to turn this into just a well-crafted popcorn zombie flick, and the honest take is actually spot-on (via Gabriel Malor on Twitter):

It’s still a good movie and I’d see it again, but … yeah.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Inception “BWAAAS”

Haha! Best bit.

Every film has them now.

Ben Hur on September 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

The one for Iron Man 3 is also awesome.

SAZMD on September 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

As somebody who adored the book – its legitimate literature with zombies – and was appalled that the movie literally took nothing but the title … well, I actually ROFL’d watching this.

Yeah. They nailed it.

Fun movie … if you didn’t know ANYTHING about the book. Or how awesome it COULD have been and SHOULD have been.

Professor Blather on September 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Big budget Hollywood is gutless. And that’s why it had a terrible summer. The only movie I remotely wanted to see is Rush, and they pushed it to the fall.

John the Libertarian on September 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I want a Coke as well.

sentinelrules on September 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yeah – I completely believe Ed would see it again……..even after it’s been exposed…

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results……

The definition of congenital stupidity is – doing the same stupid thing over and over….and feeling comforted by the fact that it’s stupid every time…….

williamg on September 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

That is a great trailer.

dogsoldier on September 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Never saw it in theaters but I just watched the unrated version at a friends place and they said it steps it up a decent amount as far as the blood and gore goes. Also, never read the book(s) but it was a fun popcorn movie if nothing else. Funny “trailer” though, I found myself predicting half the cliches but still a fun movie.

Yakko77 on September 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Very funny. I like the pointing out of cliche’s.

Norbitz on September 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Too much in the book to fit in a movie. This thing would have to be a 10 part mini series to be even close to being true to the book. Plus in the book, it starts out with the zombies already mostly defeated. At least the zombies presented a real problem in this movie, they could run fast. Laying Ronnie Lott style flying tackles on people. Changes the who zombie problem solving dynamic.

Hog Wild on September 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Great book.
Good movie.
I can see where it would have been pretty tough to make that book into a movie.
It would be like making a World War II action movie out of Studs Terkel’s “The Good War”: An Oral History of World War Two, for anybody that read that.

justltl on September 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

The one for Iron Man 3 is also awesome.

SAZMD on September 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Undeniably accurate.

David Blue on September 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I love Honest Trailers, nearly all of them are very good, at worst.

Some of my personal favorites, for style points, are Lord of the Rings and Les Miserables.

The Schaef on September 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM

You can’t kill the Axis powers (NAZI’s, Japanese).
You can’t kill commies (USSR).
You can’t shoot a Native American (indian/cowboy).
You can’t kill Muslims.
You can’t kill the CIA (Obama).
You can’t kill orientals (China invests too much, who were the bad guys in the Red Dawn remake?).

So you are left with aliens (ET)and zombies.
(almost forgot Django) and white slave owners.

barnone on September 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I listened to the book. They did a good job because every interview was a different voice actor with the only constant voice being the main character. I don’t see how they could have done a movie of the book. I guess maybe as flashbacks of the interviewees. I thought it was okay but nothing I would recommend as a must read. I saw the movie on PPV cable the other night and felt I wasted my 6 bucks. I started falling in and out of sleep right after the plane scene. I wouldn’t care to watch it again. The Honest Trailer was good.

Dr. Frank Enstine on September 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I’m still waiting for the honest trailer of Barack Obama’s residency.

steebo77 on September 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

WWZ was a stinker.

Sherman1864 on September 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I haven’t read the book and I’m not into zombie stories, but I thought WWZ was very entertaining.

MichaelGabriel on September 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

This movie was terrible. The only good thing about it was the Muse score but even that they used it every 20 minutes.

jawkneemusic on September 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ed, you liked this movie? …………………. it was a dumb zombie movie.

I’d suggest you and everyone else to read O’Reilly’s “Killing Kennedy”. It was a good read. I don’t buy into any conspiracy theory. It was just a dumb murder of a president by disgruntled nutcase with a cheap Italian rifle.

SC.Charlie on September 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I actually enjoyed this honest trailer more than the book…the book to me was boring and filled with literally every stereotype in the world.

Word of caution, don’t start watching all the Honest Trailers…next thing you know it’ll be 5 hours later.

nextgen_repub on September 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

nextgen_repub on September 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Truth.

And then you’ll shrug and watch all your favorite ones again.

And then you’ll surf over to the Everything Wrong With series.

And then you’ll remember how much you liked those Gritty Reboots you stumbled upon last month.

And suddenly, you’ll be watching Season 3 of Dragon Ball Z Abridged and wondering how you got down this film/TV spoof rabbit hole.

The Schaef on September 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

nextgen_repub on September 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I should have read this before I watched a whole lot of them. At work no less.

Dr. Frank Enstine on September 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The Schaef on September 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I do that with the youtube fails, 10 (fill in the blank) and sometimes with banned commercials. I start out watching something I got an email about and the next thing I know a couple of hours are gone.

Dr. Frank Enstine on September 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Great fake preview. When I first saw the movie, I thought it was gonna be about aliens. Still enjoyed the movie.

MrX on September 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Zombies vs. Aliens!!! Oh man.

MrX on September 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

And then you’ll surf over to the Everything Wrong With series.

The Schaef on September 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Haha, yup! Those are great too. Personal favorite from the new Star Trek: “-Nokia still has that sh*tty ringtone 250 years into the future. -Also, Nokia” HA!

nextgen_repub on September 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Zombies vs. Aliens!!! Oh man.

Great idea.

And Hollywood steals that in 3..2..1

Still, I’d trust you to write the script better than some Hollywood hack.

Their premise would be that it’s caused by global warming, the bad guys would be evil tea partiers.

MichaelGabriel on September 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I do that with music videos.

Two new phenonenom:

- Youtube serial view

- Netflix binge viewing

MichaelGabriel on September 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The Honest Trailer was better than the movie.

SC.Charlie on September 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM

One bright spot in film is supporting actor who plays in The Pacific, Iron Man 3, and Flight as well.

He is quite good.

That was the only bright spot.

I want my money back and same goes for The Wolverine!

Sherman1864 on September 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM