Green Room

Video: Is Katrina Pierson the next star in the Tea Party?

posted at 9:47 pm on September 19, 2013 by

Glenn Reynolds thinks she might well be, and Katrina Pierson has a perfect opportunity to demonstrate it.  She’s running for Congress in the Lone Star State — by challenging a Republican incumbent in the House, Pete Sessions.  Pierson has already picked up the FreedomWorks endorsement.  Glenn goes over the issues with Pierson in this InstaVision installment:

It should be noted that Sessions ran the NRCC when Republicans recaptured the House in 2010, which made conservatives happy enough at the time.  He’s had a few run-ins since, so it will be an interesting primary challenge to watch.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

articulate and gorgeous, just sent her some money

commodore on September 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Yawn. Can we be done with this whole “next big thing” already? The 100% failure rate is getting old.

NoStoppingUs on September 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM

..I don’t know how I feel about this…I thought I liked Sessions!

KOOLAID2 on September 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Enough about you reprobate democrats.

Murphy9 on September 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Meanwhile, from the Dallas Morning News, Rick Perry says “fix” PlaceboCare, don’t defund or repeal it.

Damn if I didn’t say El Partido Republicano Legado was just fine with the concept of PlaceboCare.

Steve Eggleston on September 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I like her, but Sessions hasn’t ticked off enough people in the 32nd.

I was his district for one election cycle. Then, when Texas did the off-census redistricting, I was put back in the 30th. It felt pretty good to vote for a congressional winner…once.

cozmo on September 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM

NoStoppingUs on September 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I agree.

Also, I am tired of specially elevating people just because they are not white. I have an inkling that is playing a part here. It shouldn’t matter what someone’s race is.

Also, I believe that Ed also places too much importance on someone’s physical photogenic qualities. He did not specifically mention that here, but he has in the past.

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You are completely ignorant of this woman, or the district she is running in.

Yet, you spout your usual bigoted idiocy.

You just have to be you.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on September 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

cozmo on September 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I’ve had about enough of your vicious personal attacks. I think you missed your calling as a Democrat spokesperson smear merchant.

The candidate in this video seems like a perfectly wonderful person. I am not criticizing her in any way.

I am simply commenting on the criteria that seems to be applied by some when identifying “rising stars” of the tea party.

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

…says the person who frequently talked about Mitt Romney’s looks. Oh the irony.

GOPRanknFile on September 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You are completely ignorant of this woman, or the district she is running in.

Yet, you spout your usual bigoted idiocy.

You just have to be you.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on September 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

While I’m no Bluegill apologist by any stretch, I too am getting real frustrated with the whole “vote the bums out” strategy. How many election cycles will we have to go through this shit before we decide it’s not worth it?

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Well, I definitely support the idea of challenging incumbents and trying to elect the most conservative candidates possible. No question.

Gryphon promotes disengagement from the democratic process. He tries to splash cold water on any excitement for new conservative candidates. I will have nothing whatsoever to do with that sort of defeatist, surrendering, doom and gloom nonsense.

I am simply criticizing how certain new candidates seem to get way more attention than others. Often it is based on their skin color or looks.

bluegill on September 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Milton Freedman on Why it isn’t Necessary to “Throw the Bums Out”

thebrokenrattle on September 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Yeah, I really hate it when those “uppity” types don’t know their place.

tetriskid on September 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Pete Sessions isn’t leaving anytime soon. Neither is John Cornyn.
Sessions represents the majority of suburban Dallas, including Highland Park. If he is arguably a “moderate” Republican (and you really really have to try here) then it’s only a benefit.

Marcus on September 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I’ve had about enough of your vicious personal attacks.

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Bring it on sweetie. I can skin and gut a fish almost as well as Sarah Palin.

Heck, your ignorant ranting, personal attacks and begging for followers got creepy long ago.

cozmo on September 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I am simple!

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

…you are nuts!

KOOLAID2 on September 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

..I don’t know how I feel about this…I thought I liked Sessions!

KOOLAID2 on September 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Sessions is the one who came up with the “Let’s send the Senate a full CR and a separate defund Ocare bill at the same time. That’ll placate the TEA party” plan.

Kafir on September 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Pierson has been a driving force in the Dallas TEA party for four years. She wasn’t just thrown up there because she is black.

Kafir on September 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Sessions is our congressman. He needs to go after what he tried to pull with Obamacare. He didn’t hold any town hall meetings this august because he knew his constituents were very unhappy.

We will gladly send money her way.

Aggie85 on September 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Steve Eggleston on September 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That’s the most depressing, and yet somehow least surprising thing I’ve read today.

Chris of Rights on September 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Aggie85 on September 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Good luck, though I don’t see it happening.

To borrow from a well known phase, “I can see his district from my house.” The district line is the street I live on. I can see luckier folks right across the street.

It could be worse, you could be in EBJ’s district.

cozmo on September 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I’ve had about enough of your vicious personal attacks.

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Bring it on sweetie. I can skin and gut a fish almost as well as Sarah Palin.

cozmo on September 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I see what you did there.

platypus on September 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Anybody bother to actually look at Session’s VOTING RECORD? Or that of Cornyn? They consistently score min the mid 80s and low 90s conservative. Not perfect but far from being raging RINOs or McCain/Graham types.
Katrina would be a SLIGHT improvement over Sessions- especially in the behind-the-scenes stuff. But enough for some huge expensive battle over it? We’ll see. I don’t put her odds as that great for a number of reason only those of us who know the district and the candidate would be aware of.

michaelo on September 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

thanks for posting this! i’ve never heard of her before but now i am excited to see if she wins her race. i’m glad she’s a cruz supporter, that’s a good sign!

bluegill on September 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

yeah it’s not like conservatives are ever stereotyped as being a bunch of old white men. it’s not like conservatives need to make any effort to challenge that stereotype. /

Sachiko on September 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I see what you did there.

platypus on September 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM

It was probably lost on the hagfish.

Sachiko on September 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The racist misogynist needs a new subject of her self loathing.

I saw Pierson at the first TEA party get together in Dallas. I was pretty impressed. She has about as much of a chance of knocking off Sessions as Wendy Davis has of becoming the next governor of Texas. Not that she is anything like Davis, but Sessions has been a good rep and hasn’t done things to turn his district against him.

cozmo on September 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Milton Freedman on Why it isn’t Necessary to “Throw the Bums Out”

thebrokenrattle on September 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I’d go a step farther. Not only is it not necessary, it’s counterproductive! It doesn’t do any good!

Ted Cruz is a great guy. But are we any closer to defunding Obamacare because of him? Are we any closer to restoring a sane fiscal strategy that doesn’t involve “printing” digital money? Are we one penny less in debt as a nation than we were before Ted Cruz was elected?

I’ll let Pierson’s would-be constituents worry about getting her into office. I have absolutely no criticisms directed towards her personally. But the system is broken, and she is seeking to work within that broken system. I have better things to do than to pine for a politician five states away from me.

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

That’s an awful lot of blame to load onto 1 Senator… 1 out of 100 Sentators, 1 out of 535 Congressmen. Who do you think he is? Emperor Obama? Able to take control and execute his agenda without anyone else?

The TEA Party is all about making incremental changes over time to clean up the Republican Party by replacing incumbents with conservatives that listen to the people they’re supposed to represent. Cruz should be one of many. We need more like him.

So lighten up Eeyore… we’ve actually found a few grassroots conservatives who want to engage, and competition is a good thing! So what’s your problem?

dominigan on September 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Katrina is a buddy of my wife, we have been helping her and her tea party work in any way possible.

She is the real deal.

Courage.
Brains.
Will work to win.
Will not back down.
Will not put her personal nose in the tax trough.

Pete out lived his sell by date and has thrown in with the two party evil money cult in Washinton D.C., one of to many sorry to say.

It is our duty to correct the errors that have been made.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

gripe on and on,

Your a big part of the problem.

Just stay our of our way.

We the People are going to fix the mess in D.C., with you or around you or over you and the commie Democrats.

Go gripe about Ted Cruz on Huffing and puffing commie blog.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Sessions was ready and willing to vote for the Democrat Amnesty.

He has thrown in with evil, it happens to way to many.

We have to deal with it just like a employee gone bad or a member of a combat team who makes to much noise on a night patrol prior to an ambush.

He lost contact with U.S. not the other way around.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The “Tea Party” won the House for the Republicans.

Sessions and the RNC etal just took the credit they did not deserve.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Win.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Charlie, is that you?

cozmo on September 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Umm … yes! Was that a trick question? I give his wing, if not Cruz personally, credit for the sequester. Lower spending, even nominally, means less debt.

Jaibones on September 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

dominigan on September 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My problem is the Pollyannas out there who think that just because Ted Cruz makes them feel good, that he is actually accomplishing something substantive. He isn’t. He can’t. And I am well-and-truly sorry if hearing it from me bothers you, but it is no less the truth if it doesn’t get said: The system is broken, and it will do no good whatsoever to replace the parts in a system that remains broken. We must replace the system.

Jaibones on September 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So, we’re accruing debt more slowly. Not actually lessening it, but slowing the rate of growth. Huzzah!/ Sorry Butch, but in any event, Cruz was not singlehandedly responsible for the sequester any more than Sarah Palin was. I’m all for lowering government spending, but at the rate it’s currently going up (and it still is going up), we’ve bought ourselves a couple of weeks at-best.

Go gripe about Ted Cruz on Huffing and puffing commie blog.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on September 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Except my problem is not with Cruz. I have never complained/griped about anything Ted Cruz has said or done. I don’t know enough about him to know what kind of person he is. What I do know is that he is working within a broken system, one of 535 individuals who collectively get to decide which laws I must follow and which laws they themselves can ignore. But hey! Let’s just vote someone else in, right? If we can get 534 more Ted Cruzes, it’ll be all okay, right? Right?!

/crickets

Any of you Pollyannas who think that voting actually matters worth a greasy brown shit on the national stage anymore, good luck to you is all I can say. You’ll need it. I’ll be at my state capital agitating for nullification.

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Lower spending, even nominally, means less debt.

Jaibones on September 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Just thought to ask, did you learn the difference between “total debt” and “deficit spending” in your high school accounting classes? We have not paid off one single penny of debt in approximately the last 50 years, as the last time the debt ceiling was lowered was in 1962.

gryphon202 on September 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

When are the Conservatives wake up and stop voting for the lesser of two evils when there is a better choice. Look at the record. Bush 41′s second run, McCain’s runs, Romney’s runs.

I’m sick and tired of wasting my vote on the damned Demicans and Republicrats. If the Republicans want to continue demonizing those who make more sense then I will stay home on election day.

hamradio on September 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I seem to recall that it was the tea party that recaptured the House in ’10 in spite of the NRCC.

FloatingRock on September 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM

If she’s as good as people say, it’s a shame she’s not being deployed to a more deserving opponent. There are many more RINOs to target before Sessions.

But, if she really represents her home district, well, may the best candidate win. Sessions is a big boy and can find another gig, if he loses. If she loses, she still has a future.

Not a crisis. Neither a big loss, nor a big win, either way. Maybe more races should be like this?

virgo on September 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM