Green Room

If you’re missing Tim Tebow …

posted at 12:33 pm on September 19, 2013 by

… meet New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara. The University of Nebraska alum speaks openly about his decision to forgo sex, drugs, and alcohol as part of his commitment to Christian living. Recently engaged, he spoke with self-deprecating humor about how he and his intended met:

“Yeah, some people call me the black Tim Tebow,” the 24-year-old told the magazine. “I am a virgin. I’m not ashamed to say that.”

The Super Bowl XLVI champion is engaged, and he met his fiancee when he was out dancing at SL in the Meatpacking District – although it took some encouragement from his peers.

“(Teammates) Corey Webster and Aaron Ross made me go back,” Amukamara told Muscle and Fitness. ”They were like, ‘Go say something to her!’ And they were cheering me on. She thought we were all rowdy and drunk and she didn’t pay us any attention. Then, later, I was waiting for Ahmad (Bradshaw) and she came by and we struck up a conversation. …

“I still haven’t had a drink,” the Nebraska alum said. “I told my fiance that I’ll probably take my first drink at my bachelor party. I grew up Catholic, so it just started out as one of those things. I’d think, ‘If I do this, maybe I can get to heaven,’ so I said no drinks, no sex, all the big things.”

Obviously, as a Steeler fan, I’d be rooting for Pittsburgh on the field — but Amukamara deserves our cheers for how he conducts himself off of it.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Will his career also follow the Tebow trajectory?

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

and Bishop!!!!

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

kudos to him

cmsinaz on September 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I think, that if you believe in God, there is nothing you can do to make Him love you any more than He already does, and nothing you can do to make Him love you any less.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

The media will not dare to attack him the way they did Tebow-for the very obvious reason.God bless them both!

redware on September 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

redware on September 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Not for the reason you think, but for the fact that he’s not saying he’s a two-syllable C-word (no, not “cracker”).

Steve Eggleston on September 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Media attacks on him begin in…..on wait, no they won’t, unless he outs himself as a Republican.

And yes I do miss Tebow. I think he could do well in the CFL much like Doug Flutie did, of perhaps be a replacement for Pat Robertson on the 700 Club.

simkeith on September 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It’s sad when an unmarried virgin is shocking. It used to be the norm, even amongst athletes.

mankai on September 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Well noted

22044 on September 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I don’t really see how that’s relevant to his desire to get to heaven. Do you think God won’t condemn someone he loves?

Rocks on September 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

mankai on September 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I don’t know if it was ever the norm. If it was it was when people got married at a much younger average age then they do today. This is not to disparage the practice of remaining chaste before marriage. I am only pointing out human nature. Mr. Amukamara’ should certainly be celebrated and lauded. Just because our weak human hearts make it difficult to do the right thing doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive for a higher moral position. I think he’s a wonderful example.

NotCoach on September 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

NotCoach on September 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Based on the illegitimacy rates over the last century (particularly in the pre-pill era), I’m fairly certain it was the norm.

mankai on September 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

mankai on September 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It’s not that simple. As I stated above the average age a person married has increased over the years. And society frowned upon promiscuity at one point in time. If a young man was caught having relations with a young woman he was unofficially required to marry that woman. This, coupled with the younger average age of getting married, would certainly give us a reduced rate of illegitimacy. I don’t think it is so much that the norm was remaining a virgin before marriage as it was being forced to take responsibility for your actions.

NotCoach on September 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM

mankai

One has nothing to do with the other. In the pre-pill era, the right thing to do was marry the girl you got pregnant. Ever heard the phrase “shotgun wedding”? That’s no longer the case today as there’s no longer any stigma attached to having illegitimate children. That’s why the illegitimacy rate was lower then than now.

Virginity before marriage has never been the norm, no matter how much some want to pretend it was. There may have been more of it, but it was never the norm.

xblade on September 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Do you think God won’t condemn someone he loves?

Rocks on September 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

No, I don’t believe that He will.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

No, I don’t believe that He will.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Then what purpose is there to the concept of sin? It seems a little disingenuous for God to introduce the concept of sin if it’s to play no real role in anything.

Rocks on September 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

“I still haven’t had a drink,” the Nebraska alum said. “I told my fiance that I’ll probably take my first drink at my bachelor party. I grew up Catholic, so it just started out as one of those things.

Since when do Catholics not drink?

JetBoy on September 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I’d think, ‘If I do this, maybe I can get to heaven,

His skewed works-based theology aside, good on him.

Need more like him in the public view as role models.

Logus on September 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM

xblade on September 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

You are probably correct.

Let me adjust to say that someone who chose to wait would not be seen as some sort of zoo animal.

mankai on September 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hmm. Curious that this is news. My alma mater requires this sort of conduct, and has a decent football team. BYU.

Our coach actually says that committing to a life of chastity, no alcohol or drugs and other basic moral standards is actually a recruiting win, because not every person wants to be a hedonist, despite the Miley Cyrus’ of the world. And yes, we do have non-Mormon people play at BYU.

Still, kudos to this guy–it has to be hard to keep this kind of commitment at most schools.

Vanceone on September 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Rocks on September 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

My understanding of the concept of sin, is that we all will, and we cannot, by our works, our good deeds, or our monetary contributions to the church, do anything to absolve ourselves of that fact. I believe that to simply exist on this earth, we have no chance of living without sin. God sent His Son to die on the cross for those sins, no questions asked, and we call it grace. I believe that if you love God, and believe in the teachings of Christ, you will inevitably sin, but you will feel compelled to do the things that He taught us to do. We will want to do them not because we are afraid we might not “make it” into heaven, but because we desire to become a loving person, which He wants us to be. He knows we’ll fall short, but by grace, loves us unconditionally.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Well noted

22044 on September 19, 2013 at 1:08 P

Sure …you keep telling yourselves that. I imagine the Hitlers of the world would love you.

CW on September 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

His parents were born in Nigeria…..I suspect their Catholicism is a little(/) more conservative than.. American Catholicism.

CW on September 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Catholics drink. Go look in the Knights of Columbus fridge or storage room.

tommer74 on September 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Catholics drink. Go look in the Knights of Columbus fridge or storage room.

tommer74 on September 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

See my last post.

My goodness this short thread is painful.

CW on September 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

CW on September 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Well, I guess if you could ask Hitler if he “believed in God”, he might say yes, but I don’t think that “believing” in something is quite that simple. I think it means that you embrace an idea, and have a real desire to immerse yourself in its concept. Perhaps to treasure its merits, and to share them with others. Some people might not really “believe” in something just because they say they do.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

May God Bless Amukamara

Grunt on September 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Catholics drink. Go look in the Knights of Columbus fridge or storage room.

tommer74 on September 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The Catholic Church does not teach that drinking alcoholic beverages is a sin, only excessive drinking which can lead to dangerous or sinful behavior.

If drinking alcoholic beverages was itself a sin, why did Jesus change water into wine at a wedding feast?

Steve Z on September 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Well noted

22044 on September 19, 2013 at 1:08 P

CW on September 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Matthew 7:20
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Sterling Holobyte on September 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Do you think God won’t condemn someone he loves?

Rocks on September 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

No, I don’t believe that He will.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I was beginning to think you may not truly understand the concept of grace…

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

…Until you said this, quite eloquently.

Though, unless I am not understanding you correctly, I do disagree slightly over your believe that God won’t condemn someone he loves, since he loves everyone and wishes no one will perish. But let’s face it, not everyone will get into Heaven. In fact, few will.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Sterling Holobyte on September 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

God bless you, Prince! But stay away from the booze. You’re not missing a darn thing except the joy of hangovers!

NavyMustang on September 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM

In fact, few will.

Sterling Holobyte on September 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I’ll see you there some day, my friend.

Jeffster on September 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You can’t make fun of him for his faith, because he’s a knee grow.

But if accomplishes something noteworthy on the field will he kneel down and start ‘Princing?” Just sayin’

Galtian on September 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM