Green Room

Are you ready for…Senator Newt Gingrich?

posted at 4:13 pm on September 18, 2013 by

The newly formed political action committee, Draft Newt PAC, wants Newt Gingrich to run for Senate…..in Virginia. Newt’s former New Hampshire State Director Andrew Hemingway is spearheading this thing. From a press release:

We want a credible challenger to Mark Warner, and no one could do what Newt could do to fight – and win. U.S. Senator Newt Gingrich would be an immediate game changer, giving conservatives another voice that would take the fight to the Obama administration.”

The national effort is starting with a petition from thousands of Americans to draft Newt and serve as part of a grassroots effort to support his sought-for candidacy.

“With his history of support for far-reaching government reforms and fiscal sanity – for actually balancing the budget – Newt Gingrich was Tea Party before there was a tea party” added Dan Backer, Draft Newt’s treasurer. “No one can better articulate the values of millions of Virginians seeking an end to government overreach, the repeal of Obamacare and tax relief for hardworking Americans. And, Newt is one of the few potential candidates who can unite tea party conservatives and establishment republicans behind a winning ticket,” concluded Backer.

If Crossfire gets cancelled, I guess it’s always an option.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

IF we are going to drag Newt back into politics, then vote him in as speaker of the house.

Freddy on September 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’d support him. If there is one thing Newt does best, it’s that he rejects the media premise completely. The less of a gentlemen’s club the senate is, the better.

nobar on September 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Some people just can’t take a hint, can they.

KingGold on September 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

hecks yeah!

He would have been a far better candidate than Mittens. Even in a loss he would have set the table of debate for 2016. All Mitt did was spend 3 months refusing to attack O.

mankai on September 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

As long as he doesn’t quit writing alternate history novels….

PersonFromPorlock on September 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM

As long as he doesn’t run from Ga. I could care less.

Barred on September 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Him or Liz Cheney. Oh wait. Cheney is running in Wyoming for some reason.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Gingrich is a million times better than my old VA Senator George Allen (what an idjit) or Kaine/Warner – who is up this cycle? I forgot. What I do know is that they were both awful governors.

besser tot als rot on September 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I could live with that.

Of course, I don’t live in Virginia, so don’t have a vote anyway…

cs89 on September 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Representative from one state, senator from another. Has that happened before?

cozmo on September 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Hey I’d like him better than a lot of old fossils we have there now. Three cheers.

Tacitus on September 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Alright! Establishment candidates, ahoy!

Jeddite on September 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

At least Newt is interesting.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I’d vote for him… I’d even donate.

ExpressoBold on September 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

If When Crossfire gets cancelled, I guess it’s always an option.

C’mon now, that show is doomed. Would love to see Newt in the Senate.

Naturally Curly on September 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

…Go NEWT…!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I thought I heard that Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) is retiring. Why doesn’t Newt run for Chambliss’ seat in Georgia, where he already has a voter base?

Steve Z on September 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I’d love to vote for a Senator Gingrich.

I’m still disappointed I didn’t get to vote for a President Gingrich. The best of the (admittedly bad) choices last year. At least he could be counted on to fight against Obama as hard as he did against his primary opponents.

makattak on September 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Newt is usually good. But when he’s bad, he’s very bad.

Senate would be a good place for him. I’d vote for Sen. Newt.

petefrt on September 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Newt as Senator? Hmmmmm?

I respect Newt Gingrich, and think he has a 1st rate intellect. Unfortunately, he knows it. Newt has a problem with being too smart by half. I think he starts with the conventional wisdom on an issue and attempts to go three steps past it. That can be great at finding new ways of approaching a topic, but also, when forced, can circle back around to stupid.

He has praised evil men like Woodrow Wilson and FDR. Why? These two men are easily outed as racists and statist revolutionaries who are responsible for building the foundation on which all our countries problems today, rest.

Well, you will have to ask him.

Would i vote for Newt? Yeah, i think i would. Hopefully, he would get the message that if he goes all “realpolitik Wilsonian” on us, he is gone.

He did some great things as Speaker, and said some inane stuff since. Hopefully “actions speak louder than words”.

alecj on September 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, that’s what we need…another retread…after all, we are a country of men, not laws, right?!

ellifint on September 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I like Newt, but he should run from Georgia where he has a base.

Punchenko on September 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The great thing about Newt, if he were elected, Reid would panic. Newt would have a strategy for Republicans to accomplish something, in spite of Harry Reid. It would be fun to watch. I’d be willing to be that, if nominated, he would quite Crossfire willingly.

bflat879 on September 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM