Green Room

Get gov’t out of the bedroom — oppose ObamaCare!

posted at 12:17 pm on September 16, 2013 by

Liberals love to argue that they want government out of the bedroom, while conservatives want to intrude on the sex lives of Americans. That was, in fact, the entire argument of the Obama campaign’s War On Women PR blitz against Republicans in 2012.  However, the New York Post reveals that Barack Obama’s biggest legislative victory will put government ever more firmly in the bedroom, and will demand the most intimate information from Americans (via Ed Driscoll):

‘Are you sexually active? If so, with one partner, multiple partners or same-sex partners?”

Be ready to answer those questions and more the next time you go to the doctor, whether it’s the dermatologist or the cardiologist and no matter if the questions are unrelated to why you’re seeking medical help. And you can thank the Obama health law.

“This is nasty business,” says New York cardiologist Dr. Adam Budzikowski. He called the sex questions “insensitive, stupid and very intrusive.” He couldn’t think of an occasion when a cardiologist would need such information — but he knows he’ll be pushed to ask for it.

The president’s “reforms” aim to turn doctors into government agents, pressuring them financially to ask questions they consider inappropriate and unnecessary, and to violate their Hippocratic Oath to keep patients’ records confidential.

What happens if you refuse?  Your provider has some significant incentives to force your compliance:

Doctors and hospitals who don’t comply with the federal government’s electronic-health-records requirements forgo incentive payments now; starting in 2015, they’ll face financial penalties from Medicare and Medicaid. The Department of Health and Human Services has already paid out over $12.7 billion for these incentives.

Dr. Richard Amerling, a nephrologist and associate professor at Albert Einstein Medical College, explains that your medical record should be “a story created by you and your doctor solely for your treatment and benefit.” But the new requirements are turning it “into an interrogation, and the data will not be confidential.”

If you dislike having the government in your bedroom — or your diet, or your gym — then the only rational position to take is opposition to the law that puts government between you and all of your choices.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This just shows how stupid people in this administration are. How exactly will they know you are answering these questions truthfully? I certainly wouldn’t tell them the truth if it could be viewed in a negative context. So if the answers are not verifiable, then what good are they? Dumb.

BeachBum on September 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM

What happens if you refuse? Your provider has some significant incentives to force your compliance:

Force me how? The providers are certainly being coerced into asking the questions, but that doesn’t mean I have to answer, or even answer correctly, for now.

RadClown on September 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

OH I’ll answer alright. My answer will be “none of your business.”

rbj on September 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

“What happens if you refuse? Your provider has some significant incentives to force your compliance…”

So, the only remaining choice is to answer each question falsely. Correct?

Tsar of Earth on September 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, I just had my annual eye exam last month. They have a whole new questionnaire. And that was on it. It was obviously an Obamacare item, and the whole thing had me scratching my head, if not feeling offended.

Chris of Rights on September 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Regular Americans should demand at least as much “privacy” as has been afforded to HIV/AIDS patients…

DrDeano on September 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Wow. I’ve been careful about what information I will give doctors since they went electronic. I’m not sure not answering or lying will help though. In some instances those questions are very relevant, for example to a woman’s ob-gyn. Even if you refused to answer those questions but were in for something that the doctor needed such information for truly medical purposes, doctors make notes on patients. It would still be in your records.

hopeful on September 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Oh, but this is government-your-friend, not government-your-proctor!

PersonFromPorlock on September 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Resist. Refuse. Revolt. They can’t build enough prisons……Just say no.

devan95 on September 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

It’s “Republican’s get out of the bedroom”, dems it’s okay…

right2bright on September 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM

A doctor asking “are you sexually active”
(To note, I was asked this at age 12 by my pediatrician..)

vs.

“Hey, you know what you need? This ultrasound up your vagina to slut shame you.”

Yeah, totally the same thing!

triple on September 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

“Are you sexually active?”

Only with my medical providers.

“If so, with one partner”

Are you offering?

“multiple partners”

Only in the operating theater. Do you have one available?

“Or same-sex partners?”

As long as they are medical personal.

Walter L. Newton on September 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

The article tells what happens to doctors; what happens to patients who refuse to cooperate?

PattyJ on September 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

When I was in for my annual medical checkup several days ago, the nurse asked a number of “Obamacare” (her term) questions. She was also very clear that answering or not was my choice. No sex questions were on the list. However, when she came to the one asking if there were any firearms in my home, I responded, “That’s none of their business.”

tgharris on September 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Of course Doctor, Janet Reno, Napolitano, and Hillary make my love life a winter wonderland…

Bradky on September 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM

“Have you been engaging in your compulsory sodomy since your last checkup?”

-your Dr. aka lifepath advocate.

Murphy9 on September 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM

So, some 75 year old widow comes in for a bunion and they are going to quiz her on her sex life? Yeah, that will go over big.

Blake on September 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Went in yesterday to have them look at a wrist sprain and had to indicate in writing 2x whether or not I smoked and was asked by the NP and the Dr.

Murphy9 on September 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM