Green Room

“You’re my wife? Holy sh*t!”

posted at 12:47 pm on September 10, 2013 by

Here’s your feel good story of the day. The guy in this video, Jason Mortensen, wakes up from surgery to find his wife, who he doesn’t remember being his wife thanks to anesthesia. His response to her being by his side is precious. From the video description:

In response to all of the questions: I had a hernia repair to fix residual tears from a previous surgery.
I wish I could remember this but I was definitely out of it.
This was my fifth surgery within our six years of marriage and she’s been by my side through all of it. In a previous surgery I suffered a severe complication and we didn’t know if I’d ever function the same again. She is the love of my life.

UPDATE: Ed informs me this could be fake, but you know what? It’s still cute.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

You betcha, Jason!

ExpressoBold on September 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Here’s your feel good lucky story of the day.

FIFY

Shy Guy on September 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You betcha, Jason!

ExpressoBold on September 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Of course that is what everyone wants to know, is she actually good looking. And she is…case closed. Good job ginger!

nextgen_repub on September 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Going by the title alone, I had assumed this would be a story about the time a certain racist preacher introduced an up-and-coming community organizer to his future vacation partner.

steebo77 on September 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Completely staged for 15 minutes of fame. Yes, wife just so happens to want to record her husband waking up from surgery. Yes, husband is eating solid food while lying down just after coming out of anesthesia — wait, what?

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Here’s your feel good lucky story of the day.

FIFY

Shy Guy on September 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

We’re up all night having surgery to get lucky :)

Marcola on September 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

We’re having surgery to get lucky

Marcola on September 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My point was imagine if, not recognizing his wife, he had said something wrong.

Or imagine if it was a nurse attending him, his wife sitting elsewhere in the room and he started yabbering that to the nurse.

He said the right things to the right person. He gets to return home when he’s released.

Shy Guy on September 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Absolutely. This is about as realistic as believing Obama is a good president.

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Next time this happens, I want Barney Frank in the room for when the amnesiac patient wakes up and wants to see his “wife”.

JimLennon on September 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Absolutely. This is about as realistic as believing Obama is a good president.

ButterflyDragon on September 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

And this is how truthers are born…of course it’s real.

Anyone who has been around surgery has seen similar things…funny how something heartwarming brings out the worst in people.

You fools should learn to sit back and enjoy the moment, and forget about 9/11 insiders, we didn’t land on the moon, Obama was born in Kenya…good things happen, and every once in awhile they are recorded.

right2bright on September 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Didn’t watch the video. Was the wife the mother of Honey Boo Boo?

Oil Can on September 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

nextgen_repub on September 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

She’s practically a modern-day Yang Guifei. Well, maybe not quite.

DarkCurrent on September 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I don’t think “eating” is what he’s doing to that saltine. It’s more like sucking on it. And that is perfectly normal coming out of surgery from what I’ve encountered.

GWB on September 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Fake.

Blake on September 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I know how this guy feels. Every time I see my wife I can’t believe she settled for me. Boy, did I get a good deal :-)
(We’ve only been married for 42 years!)

NOMOBO on September 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

(We’ve only been married for 42 years!)

NOMOBO on September 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What’s yer angle, old timer?

:p

Shy Guy on September 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I’m sure it is just coincidence that this guy is an unsuccessful, out of work actor?

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don’t know if it’s fake, but I had knee surgery in Feb this year, and they gave me a saltine. And I was lying down.

415woman1 on September 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Cocainemorphine. It’s a helluva a drug

egmont on September 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Predict 5 million hits by Sunday. This is hilarious. I doubt it’s fake having felt that loopy after surgery. I’m betting she took the camera out when he started acting weird and didn’t expect the punchline.

princetrumpet on September 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

(We’ve only been married for 42 years!)

NOMOBO on September 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What’s yer angle, old timer?

:p

Shy Guy on September 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Clearly, that he knows he got a good deal. :) Sometimes its as simple as not taking good fortune for granted.

alwaysfiredup on September 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I think it’s real. While my husband didn’t say those things coming out of anesthesia, he was so (un-naturally) hilarious that I almost wrecked the car taking him home. :~)

jatfla on September 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I see a clue!

tommer74 on September 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I see a clue!

tommer74 on September 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I don’t believe she is “faking it.”

He may, or may not be.

listens2glenn on September 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Having over 50 surgeries in my life I can say without any doubt it is quite possible that this is not staged. Came out of the anesthesia many times in a confused state. Also no two times were ever alike. Also have been given crackers to eat…. well… sort of eat, while lying down. I say this is the real thing. And kudos to his wife for being there each time. It can be hell without the support.

manyears on September 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

She now has his nuts in a vice, and its gonna cost him BIG to get ‘em out.

WestTexasBirdDog on September 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

While a patient could act this way coming out of anesthesia, in 30 years in medicine I have never seen anyone video someone coming out of anesthesia.

But maybe he did say it and they reenacted it to tape it.

talkingpoints on September 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

But maybe he did say it and they reenacted it to tape it.

talkingpoints on September 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Stocking shelves with aspirin does not count as “30 years in medicine”…

My sister-in-law, laughed her head off with this, she (a surgical nurse) had seen many cases similar, different responses, but similar…and yes, people are now recording about everything. Especially when they have knowledge that the person is a little “loopy”…

right2bright on September 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Having over 50 surgeries in my life
manyears on September 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

WTH?!?!? dude, i hope for your sake they installed a zipper at some point.

chasdal on September 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM

NOMOBO on September 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Same here. I cherish every day :). Granted not by any means as long as you have been married abut almost half way there lol.

Now for those of you that doubt… really, everything is recorded now a days. Its is easy to record with a phone.

watertown on September 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM

She now has his nuts in a vice, and its gonna cost him BIG to get ‘em out.

WestTexasBirdDog on September 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Seriously? If anything, those lines probably got him a few “get out of the dog house” free cards.

Wives are told all the time that they’re attractive by their husbands, and usually it rings a little hollow cause it’s what they’re “supposed” to say. But (unless this is fake) this is his honest impression as a man who can’t remember her and thus can’t remember what he’s “supposed” to say. Those remarks are deeply flattering.

Esthier on September 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Yeah, it is really obvious that it is fake from the dialogue and bad acting.

kaltes on September 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Man! What a bunch of Debbie Downers we have here. I thoroughly enjoyed the video!

Vince on September 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM

So funny! When my son came out of anesthesia after having his wisdom teeth out he kept trying to hold my hand and tell me how much he loved me. Then he requested his favorite foods which included “a bucket of chicken” which he had never had in his life! It has become the family joke.

2L8 on September 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

…if it was Katie P…I’d be eating a box of crackers!

KOOLAID2 on September 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

AngusMc on September 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If I’d thought about it ahead of time, I would have recorded my Husband when he came out of surgery last summer. It’s amazing what people will say when they’re that loopy.

But seriously, they made my husband eat a cracker and drink water when he came out of anesthesia. He was in severe pain and they wouldn’t give him any more meds until he ate a cracker. So I hounded him for about 15 minutes until he got it down and we were able to avoid an overnight stay (ankle surgery).

Wendya on September 11, 2013 at 3:12 AM

People say hilarious things when coming out of anesthesia. One guy I remember looked around with a frightened look on his face and yelled, “Where are the kids? O man . . . !!!”

Imrahil on September 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM