Green Room

Pryor: I’m voting no on Syria strike

posted at 12:07 pm on September 7, 2013 by

Bad news for Barack Obama, but perhaps good news for Mark Pryor in his 2014 campaign for re-election to the Senate.  His opponent, Rep. Tom Cotton, supports military action in Syria despite its deep unpopularity.  Pryor’s opposition makes it less likely to happen:

The decision to use military force is one of the gravest responsibilities Members of Congress face, and it is one that I take very seriously. I have heard presentations and testimonies from the Administration on their case for military action, have read and studied the text of the authorization for the use of military force that will come before the Senate next week, and have listened to the concerns of thousands of Arkansans as I have traveled the state.

I have said, before any military action in Syria is taken, the Administration must prove a compelling national security interest, clearly define a mission that has a definitive end-state, and then build a true coalition of allies that would actively participate in any action we take. Based on the information presented to me and the evidence I have gathered, I do not believe these criteria have been met, and I cannot support military action against Syria at this time.

“At this time” is not exactly a categorical statement of opposition, but the conditions Pryor attaches aren’t likely to be met before Wednesday’s cloture vote, either. It’s getting more and more difficult to see how Harry Reid gets a majority for approval, let alone 60 votes to get past cloture.

As for the 2014 Senate race, this will only matter if (a) Obama conducts the military strikes, and (b) Arkansas voters are more angry over that than ObamaCare.  I don’t think (b) is a likely outcome, but even if it is, it’s still going to damage the Democrat brand more than Cotton.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I don’t know. I think it depends on what the military strikes are and how long the last. I’m not sure how much of Obamacare we are going to be feeling by next election.

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

That puts max Dem votes for resolution down to 49.

txmomof6 on September 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Tom Cotton…Harvard undergrad and Harvard Law equals RINO.

bgibbs1000 on September 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Tom Cotton = another clueless neocon

EddieC on September 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

That puts max Dem votes for resolution down to 49.

txmomof6 on September 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

They don’t have that many. Reid has just over twenty hardcore lunatics that will definitely vote yes. That’s all he has. The rest know Zero has run out his rope and THEY have to face re-election.

This unwarranted unnecessary and crazy attack is mortally toxic and they know it.

dogsoldier on September 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

…hope!

KOOLAID2 on September 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Big mistake, Cotton. Big mistake.

rrpjr on September 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Cotton will get a pass for having served in the military. RINO huh? I remember the most famous Senate disasters last go round were the social cons who couldn’t handle rape questions from the media.

Marcus on September 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Marcus on September 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Pretty sure Romney was the biggest disaster.

bgibbs1000 on September 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Pretty sure Romney was the biggest disaster.

bgibbs1000 on September 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

No, I’m pretty sure both Missouri and Indiana went for Romney/Ryan and tossed over the Republican Senate candidate kooks. So no, he wasn’t the “biggest disaster” in those two instances.

Marcus on September 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You do realize people will be forced to start paying for health insurance or face a taxpenalty during this upcoming midterm, right? Oh, people will definitely be thinking of ObamaCare then when they’re writing those checks out that they normally wouldn’t have been.

You can take that to the bank.

ButterflyDragon on September 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Until Obama issues a delay on the enforcement of the individual mandate as well…

Mohonri on September 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You can take that to the bank.

ButterflyDragon on September 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe 2014 is the first year in which individuals are required to carry health insurance. Therefore, the first round of tax returns in which there will be “penalties” imposed will be those due in April of 2015 or long after the midterm election has passed.

Also, if you think that the individual mandate is going to produce a backlash against Obamacare, think again. I wish it were so, but it’s not. As much of a trainwreck as it’s going to be, all of the government subsidies which are designed to hit the average American voter will also kick in, and it will become another federal government entitlement that is as entrenched with the people as Social Security and Medicare. Once it kicks in, no one is going to let the government “take away” their handouts.

Shump on September 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Shump on September 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I agree on the House the GOP already got the seats they will get over Obamacare but we can still harvest a few senate seats on the issue. OTH I think you are right that once in place it will be very hard to take away the “free” health care. The one hope would be a substitute program that actually does reduce medical costs and thus reduce both premiums and taxes needed to fund it.

KW64 on September 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

“Cotton is a RINO!!”

–persons upset when a Repub doesn’t pass litmus test.

guido911 on September 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM