Green Room

Video: Girl watchers to the rescue

posted at 3:01 pm on September 6, 2013 by

Sometimes it pays to ogle appreciate the natural beauty of our fellow human beings.  Two teens noticed a pretty girl in the back of a passing car — and then kept looking long enough to notice that something was very wrong.

It started out as a casual attempt to make  eye contact with the attractive girl in the car next to them. But for Aaron Arias, 19, and Jamal Harris, 17, the brief attempt to score some afternoon delight turned out to be a heroic kidnapping rescue after they saw the girl they were staring out mouth “help me.” …

“Then all of a sudden the guy is turned back, looking at us. We looked in the backseat and the blonde female in the back was saying ‘help me’ or something, whispering it,” he said.

After police were able to track down the vehicle with the help of Arias and Harris, it was learned the 25-year-old female was an abduction victim. Charles Atkins Lewis Jr., 37, the driver of the vehicle, was arrested and booked on a charge of aggravated kidnapping. He remains in jail in on a $50,000 bond.

Kudos to the two young men for being perceptive enough to see what was likely to be a horrendous crime, and for taking the right action when they realized it.  They should keep up the vigilance, too. My best friend met his wife by flirting with girls in another car when we were driving around as teenagers … and that is absolutely a true story.  (Also true: They were the only girls that ever flirted back with us.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The perpetually victimized to write articles about the blatant sexism and racism of these 2 young men in 3, 2, 1…

NotCoach on September 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

(Also true: They were the only girls that ever flirted back with us.)

Hmmmm….First Mate must be on liberty or something.

BobMbx on September 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The only way this story could be better were if it involved somehow shooting the perpetrator in a fashion that rendered him … “non-viable”. I hope that woman gets to meet her new friends.

GWB on September 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM

BobMbx on September 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

LOL I’m guessing this was before the First Mate came along. :)

GWB on September 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My best friend met his wife by….

I have to admit that with some people I have known, that sentence might have been continued with the guy on the other end of this story, rather than Ed’s story…… *shaking head*

GWB on September 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Kudos to the young men. That said there are a few things I don’t get from the story. They followed the car “for miles” – along with the wish that the car behind them is a police office. This implies a bit of time pasted. But the police arrived “in minutes”. Anyone got any guesses on what happened so both can be true?

talking_mouse on September 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

talking_mouse on September 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

50 to 70 MPH speeds on a highway. Minutes later, miles away. If the police arrive at your home in minutes they have come from miles away, usually.

NotCoach on September 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

It’s Texas. This type of story is not uncommon in Texas because, by God, it’s inhabited by Texans.

As Judge Roy Bean would say, “For God, Texas, and Miss Lilly!”

No Truce With Kings on September 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

LOL I’m guessing this was before the First Mate came along. :)

GWB on September 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Yes, quite a few years before I met the FM. I dated one of my friend’s wife’s friends and even got engaged for a while, but it didn’t work out.

Ed Morrissey on September 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

(Also true: They were the only girls that ever flirted back with us.)

Hahaha. Hey, standard shotgun approach, only need one to hit out of the many!

nextgen_repub on September 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Rarely does a story so clearly demonstrate that guys who can’t help but admire women’s physical attractiveness aren’t necessarily BAD guys — sometimes they are heroes!

Chuckles3 on September 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

(Also true: They were the only girls that ever flirted back with us.)

Huh. Thought allahpundit was the resident HA betamale.

:-)

cs89 on September 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Man, racial profiling – driving while black – yadda yadda.

Midas on September 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Man you know the only reason this guy looked was because he is racist. He was profiling !

I wonder if this white African American will be treated like someone named Martin.

watertown on September 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM

If Obama had a son … just sayin.

ShainS on September 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

This would have been illegal in CA since you can’t use cell phones while driving.

JackOfClubs on September 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Eh, for every one case like this, there are 99 rear-end collisions because of such “appreciating.”

itsnotaboutme on September 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I’m a girl watcher, I’m a girl watcher..

2Tru2Tru on September 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM

JackOfClubs on September 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

There were two guys in the car. They couldn’t both have been driving.

J.S.K. on September 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Soooo, they saw something that didn’t look right, and they followed it?

BKeyser on September 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

watertown on September 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I’m guessing that someone named “Jamal Harris” is likely to be black, so the “racial profiling” angle probably wouldn’t fly.

Oops. I think I just racially profiled Mr. Harris based on his name. I denounce myself.

The Monster on September 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I’m a girl watcher, I’m a girl watcher..

2Tru2Tru on September 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM

My, my, my.

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I’m a girl watcher, I’m a girl watcher..

2Tru2Tru on September 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM

My, my, my.

Ed Morrissey on September 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Here comes one now…

Kenosha Kid on September 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

talking_mouse on September 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Depends if you’re talking three minutes or thirty.

Of course, media would nevereverever embellish a news story.

eforhan on September 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Would Nancy P, or Hillary C been rescued?

Stupid question, just dumb, never mind.

Ufdaubet on September 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Apparently the two young men had to be Tea Party, cracker,right wing,racists.
God bless them and thank God that the young lady is safe.

crosshugger on September 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Just a bit of advice to whoever posts these embedded videos. When you write a very short paragraph above the video, keep in mind if someone “likes” this page and wants to share it via the Facebook link above, the embedded video lays over top of the Facebook dropdown and won’t allow users to share this page.

It’s traffic to your site you’re impeding, so you might want to rethink it.

ButterflyDragon on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

ButterflyDragon on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Good point. Also, is it really necessary to have all those social networking badges on every page? It slows down every single page load (apparently it’s important to know exactly how many people on what site “liked” the article).

It’s not just HA, but all pages that do this – they are slowing the internet to a crawl.

virgo on September 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Would Nancy P, or Hillary C been rescued?

Stupid question, just dumb, never mind.

Ufdaubet on September 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Hey, stream of conscience happens.

Squiggy on September 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Whatever you do, don’t mention the race of the perpetrator.

turfmann on September 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Then all of a sudden the guy turned back black

FIFY