Video: Girl watchers to the rescue
posted at 3:01 pm on September 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
Sometimes it pays to
ogle appreciate the natural beauty of our fellow human beings. Two teens noticed a pretty girl in the back of a passing car — and then kept looking long enough to notice that something was very wrong.
It started out as a casual attempt to make eye contact with the attractive girl in the car next to them. But for Aaron Arias, 19, and Jamal Harris, 17, the brief attempt to score some afternoon delight turned out to be a heroic kidnapping rescue after they saw the girl they were staring out mouth “help me.” …
“Then all of a sudden the guy is turned back, looking at us. We looked in the backseat and the blonde female in the back was saying ‘help me’ or something, whispering it,” he said.
After police were able to track down the vehicle with the help of Arias and Harris, it was learned the 25-year-old female was an abduction victim. Charles Atkins Lewis Jr., 37, the driver of the vehicle, was arrested and booked on a charge of aggravated kidnapping. He remains in jail in on a $50,000 bond.
Kudos to the two young men for being perceptive enough to see what was likely to be a horrendous crime, and for taking the right action when they realized it. They should keep up the vigilance, too. My best friend met his wife by flirting with girls in another car when we were driving around as teenagers … and that is absolutely a true story. (Also true: They were the only girls that ever flirted back with us.)
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation