Green Room

Photo of the day: McCain playing video poker during Syria hearing

posted at 6:18 pm on September 3, 2013 by

Yes, really.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Wait, he wasn’t playing Wacko Birds?

rbj on September 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Farcical.

herm2416 on September 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

As bad as Obama is, McCain might have been worse.

bw222 on September 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

What a fundamentally unserious dilettante that man is. Disgusting.

motionview on September 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

This probably explains why the 2008 election wasn’t even close.

aryeung on September 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I love his sarcastic Twitter response that’s included at the link.

Am I supposed to think it’s o.k. for the Senator to be passing the time on his iphone because it was a 3 hour long meeting?

Forgive me if I would like my elected officials to be focused and engaged when having a meeting about potentially dropping explosives on people.

I know 3 hours is a looooooong time. I remember how hard it was as a 5 year old to learn to sit through 3 hour long church meetings without bathroom breaks, but I did it.

You would think given the gravity of the topic under discussion, he would pay attention.

JadeNYU on September 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

McCain is pure scum.

Flange on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

John McCain ✔ @SenJohnMcCain

Scandal! Caught playing iPhone game at 3+ hour Senate hearing – worst of all I lost!

An admission that Congress is a joke and these meetings just a waste of taxpayer money.

Flange on September 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I love his sarcastic Twitter response that’s included at the link.

JadeNYU on September 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

That’s McLame’s idea of damage control. Yes, the gravity of the situation and the potential of sending our resources and military to police another nation’s conflict (*gasp* am I turning into a Libertarian?!? well, on foreign policy, perhaps so) should guarantee some level of focus and seriousness from this leading RINO hawk. But no, we get a laugh track. They’re all pitiful. It’s a facade.

conservative pilgrim on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Why bother attending if you are not going to pay attention? Some people just do not understand what it means to be a public servant.

duggersd on September 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

John McCain ✔ @SenJohnMcCain

Here’s an idea, John. PAY THE F-CK ATTENTION TO THE PROCEEDINGS! Or if you’ve said your peace and don’t care what your fellow Senators have to contribute, get up and leave. To play a poker app on your phone while the Obama Administration is making the case to go to war(which you wholeheartedly support) shows a level of callousness and disinterest which is frankly frightening.

Doughboy on September 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Yep he lost in 2008 because he only phoned it in, just like today, just like everyday he’s been a United States Senator

Conservative4Ever on September 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Pathetic.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Maverick! Wasn’t the 60′s TV show predicated on a wandering gambler?

ExpressoBold on September 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Hearings. Schmearings. He’s already made his mind up.

Hill60 on September 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

McCain is a bad joke (SFW)

faraway on September 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

As if he’s the only one who does it.

Whats really galling me is the descriptor “marathon” being used to describe a hearing discussing military hostilities.

I wonder, what would the family of a service member killed during this limited action think about that?

“You got bored during a hearing that was 3 1/2 hours long and played poker? My son is dead because you got bored?”

3 1/2 hours. Wow. No wonder they need their own private choo choo train to haul them around. They don’t have time to wait. Gotta get that poker game in…………

BobMbx on September 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hmmm if I did that in a meeting at work I’d probably get fired.

Zetterson on September 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Conservative4Ever on September 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

In 2008, McCain worked harder to beat Romney and Huckabee for the nomination than he did to beat Obama and win the general election…

…gee, I wonder why…

…could it be that McCain and Obama represent the same agenda, under different labels?

ITguy on September 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Hmmm if I did that in a meeting at work I’d probably get fired.

Zetterson on September 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Exactly.

ITguy on September 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

But McCain did find time to opine that a Muslim yelling “Allahu Ackbar!” is the same as a Christian yelling “Thank God.”

Because every time a Christian drives onto a U.S. military base and starts indiscriminately shooting people, or whenever a Christian plants an IED on a road in Afghanistan or Iraq used by U.S. soldiers, or whenever a Christian steers a commercial jetliner full of people into a high-rise building, or whenever a Christian tries to light his shoebomb while on an airliner full of Americans, you always hear of them yelling “Thank God” — right McCain?

AZCoyote on September 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Hey John – pssssst – guess what happens to me if I play a video game on my cell phone during a 3 hour meeting at *my* place of employment?

A hint – I wouldn’t be snarkily cracking-wise about it afterwards – I’d be looking for a new job, you f*cker.

Midas on September 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Look at the bright side in 2008 he did not know how turn on his cell phone.

I think this says it all about our current state of affair, while the U.S. burned our leaders played golf and online poker.

William Eaton on September 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

normally i would think that tweet was funny. and, i tend to play on my phone a lot during class so i feel his pain. (haha) BUT, it was during a meeting about syria. such a scary topic to discuss. mccain, this is not the time to be making jokes. he should have just apologized.

Sachiko on September 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Props to a troglodyte who can successfully operate an electronic device?

LaughterJones on September 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Midas on September 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Learn the proper terms sir. You left out mother.

arnold ziffel on September 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

This unserious, senile old man wants to send young Americans into harm’s way, possibly to their deaths, in the service of the Muslim Brotherhood’s/al-Qaeda’s foreign policy objectives.

To Hanoi with him and his lot.

steebo77 on September 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It’s hard to blame him though. I would have clawed my eyeballs out listening to Lurch drone on. And having to watch Teresa.

faraway on September 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Why was she there? That was very very weird.

faraway on September 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I think I saw a Knave and a Joker.

virgo on September 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM

As bad as Obama is, McCain might have been worse.

bw222 on September 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

No one! Absolutely No one could be worse than Barack Obama. McCain is a Flip-Flopping fixture of the political class in Washington but in no way could he have ever taken the title of “Worst President Ever” from Obama.

Boats48 on September 4, 2013 at 5:05 AM

McCain? This is much worse!

Shy Guy on September 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

This wouldn’t bother me if he had heard all he needed to hear and decided against sending American blood and treasure to Syria. But he appears to still be for our intervention there.

GWB on September 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I see McLaim finally found something he can do without some intern doing all the front work.

44Magnum on September 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

So it’s okay for Obama to play solitaire but not okay for McCain to play poker?

Ukiah on September 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Didn’t he sell out his fellow POW’s?

antisense on September 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Honestly I would have pictured him more an Angry Birds kind of guy.

Ukiah on September 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

McCain knows how to use a smart phone?

pain train on September 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Sachiko on September 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

In class, you’re paying to be there. If you don’t pay attention, you’re the one who suffers. We are paying McCain to attend meetings whether his Depends hold out or not.

Kafir on September 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Pretty much my employer says no smart phones/cell phones at work. On your break ok but not during work. Multiple signs through out the building saying so. I guess congress is different and it’s ok to not pay attention when you’re discussing the prospect of dropping bombs on people

jaywemm on September 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM