Green Room

Video: First successful experiment in “mind control”?

posted at 3:52 pm on August 29, 2013 by

Perhaps. Some people like to claim that McDonalds already does this with children through Happy Meals, but at least this took place in a true scientific research environment. As ABC News reports, this could have real practical application for those who have spinal-cord injuries:

It may seem like science fiction or a nifty party trick, but two researchers say they were able to conduct a successful “mind control” experiment at the University of Washington.

They touted their work earlier this month as the first “non-invasive human-to-human brain interface,” which basically means one researcher was able to move his partner’s hand with only his mind and a lot of electrodes.

Experts believe the technology could someday help people with paralysis walk again or help people with prosthetics move their prosthetic limbs through their thoughts.

During the experiment, Rajesh Rao, a professor of computer science at the University of Washington, watched a video game and imagined moving his right hand to “fire” missiles in the game.

I think that we’ll advance faster on adult stem cells to replace amputated limbs and fix spinal-cord injuries than we will on this front, but it’s fascinating nonetheless.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

One can only hope.

pain train on August 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Resistance is Futile.

antisense on August 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

First successful experiment in “mind control”?

Nope.
Obama used Jedi Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

“He is not a friend of terrorists.”
“He is a champion of the poor.”
Etc.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Resistance is Futile.

antisense on August 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

..you mean this is actually true?

The War Planner on August 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Nope.
Obama used Jedi Sith Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Sterling Holobyte on August 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Obama used Jedi Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He was not the dope I voted for.

Flange on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

He was not the dope I voted for.

Flange on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I relate. I also voted for the other dope in the last two elections.
Well the first I voted for Palin with the thought that McCain, because of his age and health would become unable to continue as POTUS. That was before I realized was overcome with BO and threw the election.

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Spinal cord injuries? But what happened to all those miracle stem cell cures? (snicker)

rhombus on August 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I thought rush Limbaugh already perfected mind control , according to liberals

jaywemm on August 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Oh yes…let’s give computer hackers access to our brains and motor functions.

“Say! Why am I typing in my Social Security and Bank Account numbers??”

I’m sure the NSA is just L O V I N G this new development….

GadsdenRattlers on August 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Of course, this could also be proof of telepathy.

PersonFromPorlock on August 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM