Green Room

Video: First successful experiment in “mind control”?

posted at 3:52 pm on August 29, 2013 by

Perhaps. Some people like to claim that McDonalds already does this with children through Happy Meals, but at least this took place in a true scientific research environment. As ABC News reports, this could have real practical application for those who have spinal-cord injuries:

It may seem like science fiction or a nifty party trick, but two researchers say they were able to conduct a successful “mind control” experiment at the University of Washington.

They touted their work earlier this month as the first “non-invasive human-to-human brain interface,” which basically means one researcher was able to move his partner’s hand with only his mind and a lot of electrodes.

Experts believe the technology could someday help people with paralysis walk again or help people with prosthetics move their prosthetic limbs through their thoughts.

During the experiment, Rajesh Rao, a professor of computer science at the University of Washington, watched a video game and imagined moving his right hand to “fire” missiles in the game.

I think that we’ll advance faster on adult stem cells to replace amputated limbs and fix spinal-cord injuries than we will on this front, but it’s fascinating nonetheless.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

One can only hope.

pain train on August 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Resistance is Futile.

antisense on August 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

First successful experiment in “mind control”?

Nope.
Obama used Jedi Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

“He is not a friend of terrorists.”
“He is a champion of the poor.”
Etc.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Resistance is Futile.

antisense on August 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

..you mean this is actually true?

The War Planner on August 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Nope.
Obama used Jedi Sith Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

🙂

Sterling Holobyte on August 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Obama used Jedi Mind Tricks to get elected twice.

itsnotaboutme on August 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He was not the dope I voted for.

Flange on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

He was not the dope I voted for.

Flange on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I relate. I also voted for the other dope in the last two elections.
Well the first I voted for Palin with the thought that McCain, because of his age and health would become unable to continue as POTUS. That was before I realized was overcome with BO and threw the election.

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Spinal cord injuries? But what happened to all those miracle stem cell cures? (snicker)

rhombus on August 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I thought rush Limbaugh already perfected mind control , according to liberals

jaywemm on August 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Oh yes…let’s give computer hackers access to our brains and motor functions.

“Say! Why am I typing in my Social Security and Bank Account numbers??”

I’m sure the NSA is just L O V I N G this new development….

GadsdenRattlers on August 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Of course, this could also be proof of telepathy.

PersonFromPorlock on August 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…