Green Room

Video: Christie endorses Lonegan in NJ Senate race

posted at 11:28 am on August 22, 2013 by

A brief follow-up to Monday’s post.  Unlike some conservatives, I wasn’t the least bit shocked that Christie endorsed strong conservative Steve Lonegan for US Senate.  I will confess, however, to being slightly surprised by how effusive the embrace was, given their somewhat patchy history.  Unequivocal:

A pro-Lonegan conservative group noted yesterday that the Booker campaign briefly posted a photo of the Democratic nominee alongside disgraced former Governor Jon Corzine.  Team Booker quickly pulled the image down, but not before #BookerFail captured a screen shot. Oops.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I bet Christie did this expressly so he can set himself up for a run in ’16. “See! I am conservative! I gave Steve Lonegan a sloppy-wet kiss too!”

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

A brief follow-up to Monday’s post. Unlike some conservatives, I wasn’t the least bit shocked that Christie endorsed strong conservative Steve Lonegan for US Senate. I will confess, however, to being slightly surprised by how effusive the embrace was, given their somewhat patchy history. Unequivocal:

Why does pro-amnesty Guy Benson seem so intent on trying to counter the idea that Christie is an unreliable and untrustworthy ally for conservatives?

Pro-amnesty Guy Benson is using his Green Room posting privileges to promote establishment RINO’s whenever possible, it seems.

bluegill on August 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

And what’s with this “patchy history” baloney? I was under the impression that Christie pretty much loathed Lonegan. That’s like saying Hitler had a patchy history with the jews. Lonegan was an obstacle to Christie’s ambitions — until now.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

gryphon202, it’s pretty well known in NJ that the two men have butted heads on numerous occasions and aren’t necessarily on each other’s Christmas card list…but they’ve still played nice when necessary. Lonegan immediately endorsed Christie after their 2009 primary, and Christie has returned the favor.

bluegill, I do it just for you, buddy.

Guy Benson on August 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Unlike some conservatives, I wasn’t the least bit shocked

I see what you did there, you self-professed “candy-ass RINO.”

Christie’s only doing this because he wants the base to show up to pad his re-election margin.

blammm on August 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Has pro-amnesty Guy Benson ever been critical of Christie on this blog?

We know that Guy Benson:
- likes to chastise conservatives for rejecting Republicans who support amnesty.
- uses the Green Room to try to promote establishment candidates and those who support amnesty, like Scott Walker
- badmouths conservative efforts to defund Obamacare

These things always go through my mind when I read any of pro-amnesty Guy Benson’s posts.

bluegill on August 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

bluegill, I do it just for you, buddy.

Guy Benson on August 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Right. Cause politicians never endorse other politicians whom they loathe with every fiber of their being./

Pardon me for thinking that it’s a lot more simple than just “returning the favor.” Christie’s going to have a few favors to call in from Lonegan in ’16, especially since Christie is losing grounds with Dems now.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Lol had Christie not endorsed Lonegan, he would have been criticized. Now that he did? He gets criticized anyway. Just can’t win with some folks. I’ve followed the history between the two and although they never did seem to like each other all that much, they’ve always seemed to respect each other. Christie could have given an halfhearted endorsement, but he didn’t. Good for him.

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I’m not criticizing Christie for his endorsement of Lonegan. But let’s not pretend it’s anything other than political calculus with an eye to ’16. It doesn’t change my opinion of Chris Christie one single iota.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

yeah Jersey! Go away haters.

GW_SS-Delta on August 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM

gryphon202, I’m not sure if I understand your point. Political endorsements are very frequently transactions among people who have antipathy for one another. That was the subtext of my “patchy history” characterization. They don’t like each other very much. Nevertheless, Lonegan wants an endorsement from a popular governor and Christie wants to show the base that he’s a team player. They both win. Would you have preferred that CC not endorse Lonegan, or had done so less enthusiastically?

Detective bluegill, you got me again! I’m a fan of establishment “pro-amnesty” RINO Scott Walker. And aside from offering tactical disagreements, I’m not sure if I’ve done much “bad-mouthing.” I’ll leave that to you.

Guy Benson on August 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Most endorsements are based on political calculus, so I’m not really sure what the issue is.

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Guy, I wouldn’t worry too much about bluegill. Her hatred for Christie is derived from the whole Hurricane Sandy embrace. She’s still hoping “the incredibly handsome” Mitt Romney runs again.

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

bluegill on August 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Whenever you post, Sarah Palin and a hagfish comes to mind.

cozmo on August 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Guy Benson on August 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Look, Guy, I’m all about honesty. I know that’s too much to ask for from our ruling political class, but Chris Christie is a progressive. My intense dislike of Christie dates back to his first run for governor of Jersey against Corzine. If this really is what passes for routine political backscratching these days, it only reinforces the point I’ve been trying to drive home for months:

The system is broken and the Republican Party is just as broken.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You’re not fooling me. It’s clear you’re just saying that for political calculation on Hot Air. It’s obvious you’re pro Christie now.

Dash on August 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM

The issue is that Chris Christie is progressive. If he didn’t endorse Lonegan because of Lonegan’s politics, the only conclusion I can draw is that Christie is trying to make himself into something he isn’t: conservative. Just like Mitt tried to make himself into the conservative he wasn’t back in 2012. If this is what passes for routine political backscratching, I’ll say it again: The system is broken.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Dash on August 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

You mock me now. But when Republicans lose just as big in ’16 as they did in ’12 and you’re staring down Barack Obama’s effective third term with The Clenis as First Gentleman, you won’t be laughing so hard.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Lonegan?

Hmmm, wasn’t he the bad guy in “The Sting?”

Ok…a strong Conservative in Jersey…something to keep an eye on…let’s hope it is a trend.

As for Christie…what we get when we look for personalities and refuse to look at principles.

coldwarrior on August 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Guy Benson, just admit it, you have no problem at all with Chris Christie becoming the Republican nominee for President in 2016…

Now tell us why Chris Christie is a representative of Conservatism?

mnjg on August 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM

“I just signed a bill banning people from trying to turn gay teens straight, but I believe in limited government.”

Actions speak louder than words, Chris.

Kafir on August 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM