Green Room

If you want to build the Iron Man suit? You can do that!

posted at 5:02 pm on August 21, 2013 by

These are not the bland, boring, convocation clichés of yesteryear; the freshmen at Georgia Tech probably never saw it coming. Epic, indeed.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“If you want to enter a non-existent jobs market with thousands in student loan debt, you can!”

VinceOfDoom on August 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I love this generation, they’re bold and unafraid. Too bad they’ve been so badly screwed by the Boomers.

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Really? Tell me, just what was it that I did as a boomer to screw the current crop of give-it-to-me-because-I-deserve-it-simply-because-I-exist citizens?

HiJack on August 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Job market is pretty fantastic for engineers — especially from Georgia Tech.

jdpaz on August 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

HiJack on August 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Babyboomers raised those people and elected the government that facilitated it.

dgarone on August 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Uhh

I only clicked because I wanted to see the iron man suit…

you just wasted my time on some dumb strung out kid being an “epic” idiot

kaltes on August 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

We need more of these kind of kids, to compensate for the grotesque oversupply of fuzzy studies students.

ZenDraken on August 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

The exoskeleton has been largely worked out, and the F-35 has the helmet display. Power source might be an issue.
Still waiting for repulsors, though.

Count to 10 on August 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Still waiting for repulsors, though.

Count to 10 on August 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Man, when I get the arc reactor online, they’re finally gonna pay!!!

But perhaps I’ve said too much…

JohnGalt23 on August 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

“If you want to see our football team win the big game against Georgia more than about once a decade… you can’t do that!”

radjah shelduck on August 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

HiJack on August 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

As a boomer, let me say we had the same give-it-to-me-because-I-deserve-it-simply-because-I-exist attitude and the government mortgaged those kids’ future to accomplish it.

Kafir on August 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Man, when I get the arc reactor online, they’re finally gonna pay!!!

But perhaps I’ve said too much…

JohnGalt23 on August 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Meh, you could probably get by with a compact turbine engine.

Count to 10 on August 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

VinceOfDoom on August 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

They’re not going to have any problems finding a job. They’re actually learning something useful… as opposed to most college graduates.

Wendya on August 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

ENGINEERING!!!

Yes – it Actually ISTHAT Awesome”!!!

williamg on August 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

dgarone on August 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Actually lot of Gen Xers have kids this age. Thankfully, Spawn’s turned out well-so far.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

HiJack on August 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

The boomer generation has run the country off a financial cliff after being handed every possible opportunity on a silver platter.

And by the way, the Boomers also RAISED your so-called “give-it-to-me-because-I-deserve-it-simply-because-I-exist” generation, and now have to accept the fact that they’re not only going to be blamed for ruining the country, they’ll be blamed for lying about it.

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Kafir on August 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

OUR government mortgaged OUR kids’ future to accomplish it. We are all part of the problem. We get the government we tolerate. Perhaps we didn’t fight hard enough.

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I don’t think it would be that many.

They would’ve had to have kids before turning 25, and most people from that generation and later did not marry young or have kids that young.

TigerPaw on August 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM

meh. Maybe I’m just getting old and jaded, but it didn’t seem that rousing to me.

Fenris on August 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Still waiting for repulsors, though.

Count to 10 on August 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ok, is this repulsoring enough for you?

Oldnuke on August 22, 2013 at 3:18 AM

As an struggling engineer of 22+ years, I can attest that the market isn’t that strong. I don’t regret pursuing and receiving the degree but nursing or IT are much more employable. I have heard my entire career about the “shortage of engineers”. Doesn’t exist and a fabricated lie by achadamia to keep padding its pocketbook.

trs on August 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

You’ve got to be kidding. The critique the Boomers should be getting is molly-coddling this generation and making a good portion of them nearly without motivation.

hawkdriver on August 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We didn’t fight hard enough? Are you kidding again? Sucks to get our asses handed to us by liberal movements and their lapdogs in the media. Sucks worse to get blamed by a fellow Conservative for …

Geez, I’m not even sure what I’m defending my Conservative side of the Boomers from. Why are we responsible again for what happened from years of being beat down by liberal governance, taxes we couldn’t stop and a liberal media that championed it all?

hawkdriver on August 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Go Dawgs!!!

Bmore on August 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I’m building the Ironman suit: http://youtu.be/TGiHtfeE3rA

jdpaz on August 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

hawkdriver on August 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

A good portion of any generation is without motivation, but what I see in this generation are kids who are intellectually curious, optimistic and tolerant. Of course they’ll get their wake up call when they realize they’ve been lied to, but it’s not their fault, it’s our fault.

lilacs on August 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

lilacs on August 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

hawkdriver on August 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

We didn’t fight hard enough. We didn’t want to rock the boat. We didn’t see the culture war until it was too late. Notice I said ‘we’. I blame myself as much as anyone for letting the liberals beat us in the culture war when they won by lying.

lilacs on August 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Yes! An Iron Man suit….will be built by Indians, in India. These kids will be working at Walmart in the Electronics Department.

wsucoug on August 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

HiJack on August 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

If I could speculate, it could be that you’re all about you.

If you talked to the Greatest Generation and there was concern that the next generation was being let down by the adults, some might disagree but no one would stand up and say, “Well, what have I done to let down the next generation.”

They understood that one generation is given a sacred trust: the preservation of liberty, culture, and the passing on of American Heritage. Instead, they passed on debt.

Your generation failed in its responsibility. Maybe, it was because nobody realized that they were playing on a team and that ultimately, as a generation they failed their mission and they failed it miserably.

Some boomers did their best, they did well, but really they’re like Brad Posey who is a good baseball player but played for a team that failed miserably.

The baby boomers began as the self-indulgent generation that discovered birth control as the key to unlimited casual sex, were very strongly opposed to the war in Vietnam until Nixon let them out of the draft. Then they grew up to be self-indulgent yuppies, leaving a trail of broken marriages and messed up kids who’d spread their legacy of dysfunction for decades to come. Then when they got into political power, they were so hooked on their own adulation and shallowness that they wouldn’t avert the fiscal train wreck.

And now stand the Boomers unwilling to admit they blew it. This failure to admit to the obvious is a sign of the sickening narcissism at the core of the Baby Boomer generations.

adamsweb on August 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

They understood that one generation is given a sacred trust: the preservation of liberty, culture, and the passing on of American Heritage. Instead, they passed on debt….

adamsweb on August 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I completely agree. Well said.

lilacs on August 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM