Green Room

Poll: 81 percent of San Diegans want Filner to resign; recall effort underway

posted at 11:27 am on August 19, 2013 by

I can’t imagine how these numbers became so lopsided:

San Diegans are divided on whether it will be difficult to gather the necessary signatures to recall Mayor Bob Filner in the 39 days permitted by law, but overwhelmingly they are ready to sign a recall petition, according to an exclusive poll released Sunday by 10News/U-T San Diego. Of the 600 San Diego respondents, Filner’s support is down to one in seven city residents, with 81 percent saying he should resign and just 14 percent saying he should stay. This comes after a 16th woman came forward accusing the mayor of sexually harassing her. Nearly three quarters of those who took part in the survey say they would sign a recall petition if put in front of them. According the results, 15 percent of San Diegans say they would donate money to the recall effort and 20 percent say they would volunteer to help a recall campaign.

It seems they’ll get their chance, as an anti-Filner recall drive has officially been launched.  Funny how the bottom fell out for the guy once his party stopped covering-up for him, huh?  Speaking of which, just 16 women later, Nancy Pelosi has abandoned her “what happens in San Diego stays in San Diego” posture, bravely calling on her long-time Congressional colleague to step down.  Timely!  The unlikely winner in all of this, of course, is Anthony Weiner, who is suddenly no longer the least popular or seediest Democrat on the scene today.  Congrats, Carlos.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

In a related poll 14% of San Diegoans are scumbags.

VegasRick on August 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

So instead of doing the right thing by stepping down….he will end up costing the citizens of San Diego a bunch of money to throw him out. He should be on the hook for that cost.

Ditkaca on August 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He’s a uniter

earlgrey133 on August 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

You voted for him you live with him. Gotta love them Democrats. Wiener/Filner 2016!
I a wondering why none of these women, especially those who said he groped them, just did not slap him hard and walk out.

A good hard slap followed loudly by, “Touch me again and I’ll rip your tongue out creep!” followed by a swift crotch kick if needed. He does not have had to actually have touched her, the idea has been planted in anyone within ear shot. I would tell my daughters all the time if he makes you feel creepy in any way leave. In public make a seen and always bring a friend named Mr. Glock.

Bubba Redneck on August 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM

14% believe he should stay.

Wow. If I’m ever thinking of moving to San Diego, someone come over and beat the crap out of me. Please. For my children’s sake, if not my own.

Chris of Rights on August 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

In a related poll 14% of San Diegoans are scumbags.
VegasRick on August 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

More than that. Its just the scumbags can only deal w/ politics via groupthink, & all the scumbags on the city council have called for Filner to resign.

14% are something beyond scumbags.

blockchords on August 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

As a San Diegan these last 30 years, I live in a state of continual dismay with the way my neighbors swing on almost every issue*. If we’re down to just 14% on the wrong side here, that’s major progress.

(That said, doesn’t even the reddest community have at least that many nutjobs?)

(* I’m still here only because the wife insists the climate and the proximity of her friends outweighs everything else.)

fatherspledge on August 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM