Green Room

New Jersey: Noted RINO to endorse noted True Conservative for Senate

posted at 5:17 pm on August 19, 2013 by

Be honest, how many of you half expected Christie to endorse Booker, or at least withhold his endorsement altogether?  Nah, turns out Christie really is a Republican.  Via the Lonegan campaign:

Governor Chris Christie will endorse Steve Lonegan, Republican nominee for United States Senate, at the Hunterdon County GOP Headquarters on Tuesday, August 20, 2013, at 4:00 p.m. Lonegan served as Bogota Mayor for twelve years, winning three times in a town that gave Barack Obama 67.5 percent of the vote in 2012.  He served for seven years as state director of Americans for Prosperity New Jersey, where he helped defeat liberal attempts to expand big government. Steve Lonegan is the conservative Republican candidate in the New Jersey special election for the United States Senate.  Lonegan stands firmly on the bedrock conservative values of small government, fiscal responsibility and individual liberty.

Christie bested Lonegan in a hard-fought GOP gubernatorial primary four years ago, and the latter has been a thorn in the former’s side ever since. Despite that somewhat rocky history and some choice words over a recent unforced error by a Lonegan staffer, New Jersery’s governor will throw his support behind the scrappy, unapologetic former Mayor of Bogota.  Lonegan is considered a long-shot against the mediocre-at-best celebrity Mayor of Newark, but anyone who’s ever met the newly-minted Republican nominee knows that he’ll throw everything he’s got into the race and aggressively challenge Cory Booker at every turn.  I’ll leave you with Lonegan’s fired-up primary night victory speech:

UPDATE – I see that AP mentioned this story in passing on the homepage.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

What I think distinguishes Lonegan from other TrueCon types in a great way – and don’t get me wrong, Lonegan’s style is not my style even if his policy choices align with my own – is that when he lost to Christie in 2009, his very first act in defeat was to rally support for Christie.

Unlike many other candidates I can think of who sabotaged, withheld their endorsements, or just plain made life hell for the other guy, Lonegan did the right thing. I’m pulling for him, and I hope Christie works hard for him too. This race is a longshot at best. He’ll need at least two miracles.

KingGold on August 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Considering how nasty the 2009 GOP gubernatorial primary was, I fully expected Christie to endorse Booker.

Incredibly, as KingGold notes, loyalty got paid back this time.

Steve Eggleston on August 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

UPDATE – I see that AP mentioned this story in passing on the homepage.

Sometimes, a “mentioned in passing” item deserves its own conversation. This is one of those times.

Steve Eggleston on August 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

turns out Christie really is a Republican

PUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

jawkneemusic on August 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Pro-amnesty Guy Benson is a Christie supporter?

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

But the big photo op hug with Booker is still on schedule, right?

Shtetl G on August 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Lonegan hasn’t been a thorn in Christie’s side. He’s been a principled conservative who has tried to help reign in Christie’s leftist ways. I’ve been proud to work with Lonegan on occasion and I’ll be arming the phones for him again this year.

njrob on August 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

“He hasn’t been serious.”

A familiar GOP pattern when in power: Squabbling

Andrew Malcolm Jun 29, 2017 10:01 AM

Not exactly teamwork.

Merkel plots confrontation on climate change.

Button it up.

“I repeat I am innocent of these charges. They are false.”

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”