Green Room

Did A-Rod’s inner circle rat out fellow players?

posted at 11:48 am on August 16, 2013 by

According to documents unearthed today by CBS News, the answer appears to be yes — and the group of players exposed also appears to include one of his fellow Yankees:

“60 Minutes” has learned that members of New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez’s inner circle in February obtained and leaked documents that implicated Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun as well as his own Yankees teammate, catcher Francisco Cervelli, in the doping scandal that has enveloped Major League Baseball.

The leak came just days after the weekly newspaper Miami New Times published documents in January detailing Rodriguez’s pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs.

The handwritten documents of Anthony Bosch, the key witness in Major League Baseball’s PED investigation, revealed comprehensive doping regimens that Bosch had engineered for a host of professional athletes. His cooperation with MLB has resulted in the suspension of Rodriguez and 13 other major league players.

Braun and Cervelli’s names were redacted in the Miami New Times documents. Members of Rodriguez’s camp at the time obtained unredacted versions and leaked them to Yahoo! Sports, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the matter. The unredacted documents also implicated Baltimore Oriole Danny Valencia, who MLB later investigated and cleared.

A-Rod’s reps denied it:

Rodriguez’s lawyer, David Cornwell, denied the allegations to”60 Minutes.”

“The allegations are untrue and are another attempt to harm Alex — this time by driving a wedge between Alex and other players in the game,” he said in a statement to the show. “While Alex focuses on baseball and repeatedly states that he is going to respect the appeal process, the drumbeat of false allegations continues.”

If this turns out to be true, then retirement may be looking even better as an option for A-Rod … and the Hall of Fame perhaps an even more distant goal.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yeah, that Pete Rose guy…he sure was awful, wasn’t he?

Chris of Rights on August 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, that Pete Rose guy…he sure was awful, wasn’t he?

Chris of Rights on August 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yes he was. Betting on games in which you have a duty to perform gets you the death sentence in baseball.

There have been a lot of leaks, starting with who was on the Mitchell repport, which Alex did not have access to, to the Ryan Braun test, again which Alex did not have access to. There has been a lot of leaking, much of which points to people in the commissioner’s office that I can’t be bothered by this.

Oh, and who leaked this story?

rbj on August 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Glad I don’t give an airborne act of fornication about most major league (or for that matter, college) sports.

JEM on August 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Ed, are you kidding? You have a better chance of being inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame than Alex Rodriguez has of being anything other than a visitor to Cooperstown.

reagansoptimism on August 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The whole way this mess has been handled by the MLB is a shame.
If this does turn out to be true, A ROD is toast and I dont even know how Yankee fans can forgive for that.

watertown on August 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

A-Rod who? Is this some third-rate rapper?

Ace ODale on August 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Yeah, that Pete Rose guy…he sure was awful, wasn’t he?

Chris of Rights on August 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

“… And to be honest with you, I picked the wrong vice. I should have picked alcohol. I should have picked drugs or I should have picked up beating up my wife or girlfriend because if you do those three, you get a second chance. They haven’t given too many gamblers a second chances in the world of baseball.”

When I heard it I agreed with it entirely. I was really sad when he apologized for it.

teejk on August 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

He might as well, since he’s the most hated player in the game at this point anyway. And, I get that there’s a clubhouse code and all that garbage, but I don’t care who rats ‘em out.

changer1701 on August 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I don’t give an airborne act of fornication JEM on August 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

heh.

Jackalope on August 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

JEM on August 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I wouldn’t either if my tax dollars didn’t support them and their arenas, and MLB wasn’t a monopoly and the NFL wasn’t a non-profit.

Fenris on August 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I guess there is no honor among theives…or cheaters

jaywemm on August 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I guess there is honor among thieves….or cheaters

jaywemm on August 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM