Green Room

Video: “I’ve never had a job that was beneath me”

posted at 9:35 am on August 15, 2013 by

I missed this earlier, but if you’ve got Rush Limbaugh praising a celebrity speech at the Teen Choice Awards for its conservative ethic, it’s worth posting even belatedly.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I never would of expected such from Chris. It was a pleasant surprise.

Grunt on August 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

That was a pleasant surprise.

Flange on August 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Some words these entitled brats certainly needed to hear.

He’s still an Obama supporter, though.

Maddie on August 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Kutcher — You can build that
Obama — You didn’t build that

Hmm. Wonder which one got to where he is via hard work…

CJ on August 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I read once that the cast and crew of That ’70s Show loved working with Ashton because he would do anything he was asked, no matter how goofy. I remember one scene in particular:

[W]here Kelso jumps over the couch to talk to Laurie, he was only supposed to jump onto the couch, but Ashton Kutcher’s feet slipped on the cushions and hit his shins on the table, garnering a huge laugh from the audience. This is why Laurie is holding back laughter when Kelso starts talking to her.

Apparently he never broke character until the scene ended.

Even though he’s an Obama apologist, he seems to be a hard worker; maybe with his speech he can convince a few of the 47%ers to get off their collective azzes and strive to be the same.

pain train on August 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I remember years ago reading about Kutcher working at a cereal plant sweeping up as a teenager, and it struck me how humble a position that was for someone who became a pretty high-profile star. A good speech, particularly disposing altogether with superficiality.

And while I’m not an Apple fan, I wonder just how much Kutcher studied Jobs’ history to find that it was hard work, not luck or even brains, that created an empire.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I think I’ll just stay gobsmacked for the rest of the day. Wow.

princetrumpet on August 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

A lot of people thought, and perhaps still think so today, that the idiot character he played on That ’70s Show was who he really was.

But, can you imagine how Bruce Willis would have skewered him if Kutcher really was an idiot? That never happened.

J Baustian on August 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

For the first time in my adult life I actually spent any time actually listening to Ashton Kutcher.

He lost me a little on the third part. I do like the idea that you build a room that other people live in…but it still comes back to part one: Life IS work. Life is work. Work. Life is.

GeeWhiz on August 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Never liked the dude, but the speech was good.

Bruce Willis still should have kicked his ass though.

Boogeyman on August 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Maybe it does take hard work and humility – to play goofy characters in bad movies & TV shows.

Although I don’t like the output, the message in his speech can be appreciated.

22044 on August 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I think I’ll just stay gobsmacked for the rest of the day. Wow.

princetrumpet on August 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Save some of that smackage for me. WOW.

44Magnum on August 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Although I agree with the sentiment, I watched “Dirty Jobs” some time back and can’t get some of those images out of my mind.

artificially inseminating an elephant – no, I am sorry. That is just a job I could not and would not do. Especially after I saw how it is done.

Tom Servo on August 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM

GeeWhiz on August 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I like Sarah Hoyt’s take on what you said: If you don’t work, you die.

Government produces nothing. It doesn’t build that. It doesn’t build anything. It can’t. Government is force. It can, on threat of that force, seize enough of what someone produced to give to someone else. . . . When governments start thinking in terms of “feeding the hungry” which in our day becomes “giving things to the continuously redefined poor” what it is actually doing is reducing the number of people working in the productive sector. Between the bureaucrats working to redistribute wealth and the people working to keep getting the handouts, a huge contingent of people is removed from the productive sector.

When that number reaches the point where the productive sector can’t keep up, a crash ensues. An Earth-shaking Kaboom, you might say. . . .

“If you don’t work you die.”

Magson on August 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I also liked the part about not quitting a job until he had another.

I know more than one person who’s just quit a job because they didn’t like it and figured another would just come along.

Spade on August 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If no man will work, neither let him eat. Somebody famous said that. You could look it up.

Galtian on August 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM