Green Room

Animal-rights activists vandalize cow at state fair … made of butter

posted at 1:03 pm on August 12, 2013 by

Yes, there is no better way to protest “11 billion animals murdered each year in slaughterhouses, egg farms, and dairies” than to vandalize a cow sculpture made of butter:

The Iowa State Fair’s beloved butter cow sculpture looks as good as new after vandals covered the iconic bovine in red paint early Sunday. …

A group that calls itself Iowans for Animal Liberation claimed responsibility for the vandalism in an email to the Des Moines Register. The email stated group members hid in the Agriculture Building until it closed.

“After dismantling the lock to the refrigerated case housing the Butter Cow with a screwdriver, we doused the entire butter sculpture in red paint,” the email said. “The paint represents the blood of 11 billion animals murdered each year in slaughterhouses, egg farms, and dairies.”

It is unclear if Iowans for Animal Liberation is the same group or related to The Animal Liberation Front, which has taken credit for previous acts of vandalism related to animal rights.

These groups are dangerous, and have conducted much more destructive acts of sabotage in the past.  This, however, makes them look like the Twelve Monkeys of domestic terror groups. As Iowahawk put it:

Sometimes reality is more humorous than satire, especially since it’s pretty darned easy to fix a butter sculpture that’s been hit with red paint.  The fair had it back in shape by 9 am.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Stupid is as stupid does.

OldEnglish on August 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Sometimes reality is more humorous than satire, especially since it’s pretty darned easy to fix a butter sculpture that’s been hit with red paint. The fair had it back in shape by 9 am.

And the animal idolizing idiots made those cows work even harder to replace the ruined butter.

cozmo on August 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I’m a tree-hugger when it comes to animals…but gimme a break.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Did anyone else immediately think of Monty Python’s Life of Brian??

Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People’s Front?

Reg: ‘Judean People’s Front’. We’re the People’s Front of Judea! ‘Judean People’s Front’.

Francis: Wankers.

deepdiver on August 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Too hot for their usual naked protests on all fours in animal paint?

beatcanvas on August 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’m a tree-hugger when it comes to animals…but gimme a break.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Wow, if you’ve lost ALT, you’ve lost it all! ;)

GWB on August 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You know what I think is really stupid that PETA-type folks do? Throw red paint on people wearing fur. After all, what’s the person that’s wearing fur going to do? Why, buy a fur to replace the fur that was just reuined.

DethMetalCookieMonst on August 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I seem to remember hearing similar rhetoric about murders from a certain group here at Hotair. I just don’t think I can place them now.

thuja on August 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I just don’t think I can place them now.

thuja on August 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Because you are an idiot.

cozmo on August 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

As a kid the Butter Cow was always my favorite part of the State Fair.

steebo77 on August 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Dang. Before Tina Korbe got there to eat the cow.

22044 on August 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

These childish, classless little subhumans would be well advised to keep their residence a well guarded secret.

antipc on August 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

As a kid the Butter Cow was always my favorite part of the State Fair.

steebo77 on August 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

We don’t have butter cow sculptures in MN. Instead, we have the heads of dairy princesses (Princes Kay of the Milky Way).

Othniel on August 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I am, as I write this, about to launch into a bacon cheeseburger.

Meat is murder … sweet, sweet murder.

M240H on August 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

deepdiver on August 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This was the first thing I thought of as well.

Grunt on August 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

What the dairy people should have done was paint the rest of the cow red to even it out, put some horns on it, and called it Redbull. Maybe they could have gotten an endorsement deal from Redbull and made some money from it. Cause I’d bet the wienie animal “rights” activists are also anti-capitalists. That’d really infuriate them.

Sterling Holobyte on August 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I would have just left it so that people could see what idiots the Iowans for Animal Liberation really are.

DAT60A3 on August 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM

They should have brought the world’s biggest piece of toast with them…

JetBoy on August 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM

thuja on August 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Hmmmm about animal rights? Must have missed that one….

when you get covered in liquid what do they say about that?

CW on August 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Laugh all you want, but they made the news, and you’re talking about them. Free publicity, little cost, no harm; that sounds like a success to me.

(Still, paint is a rather blunt way to get your point across. A side effect of the dairy industry is veal, yet many folks refuse to eat the veal for moral reasons but have no problem with the milk products that really drive the production of veal. That would have been something good to express, but it’s harder to get the message behind political vandalism across than to get news of the act itself across.)

calbear on August 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I’m assuming they just scraped off the top layer, no?

calbear on August 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Shite….I’m going to the Iowa Fair tomorrow…what a great teaching moment for my grandkids…

lovingmyUSA on August 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM

So am I to assume they’d like 11 billion plus more cows, chickens, hogs, etc. roaming the earth every year, eating their precious plants?

moo on August 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM

moo on August 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM

And generating all that CO2!

talkingpoints on August 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Well I guess we now know the statue was made of assaulted butter.

Mr. Bingley on August 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I can’t believe it’s not bovine!

Galtian on August 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

thuja on August 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The sad thing is that liberals are much more upset about murdered cows than murdered humans.

Maybe that’s why the phrase “sacred cow” and not “sacred baby”?

Chris of Rights on August 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM