Green Room

77 dead in Spanish train disaster

posted at 8:07 am on July 25, 2013 by

And at least 20 more in critical condition, per CNN. Unimaginable.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That’s heartwretching. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

Imrahil on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Wow. How horrible.

Bitter Clinger on July 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I can’t watch that video. I’ll let my imagination assume the images and horror……
Just awful.

conservative pilgrim on July 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My first impression watching the video is that the train has too much speed in the corner. But I really don’t know enough of anything about trains to say if I’m right or not. I think that train was easily doing 50 MPH through that corner. Is that normal under the circumstances?

NotCoach on July 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

So this was not “A man made disaster” ?

Bmore on July 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Horrible. Those poor people. /shiver

LaughterJones on July 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Evidently doing 120 kph in an 80 kph urban zone.

Abelard on July 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Correction:

He was doing 190kph (120mph) in a section posted 80kph (50mph).

The guy was a lunatic. Now, hundreds are suffering and dead because of his lunacy.

Reportedly, most of the passengers were Catholic pilgrims on their way to a festival honouring St. James.

I wonder if we’ll find out that the engineer’s name is Ahmed… or Mohammed… or something along those lines.

Shepherd Lover on July 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

“Francisco Jose Garzon”. I think you can bet he’s going to be charged with something.

Steven Den Beste on July 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

To myself, It would seem that the train would be computer controlled for turns and the the engineer would have to override the controls. But, then, i am no expert on high speed trains.

SC.Charlie on July 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

WOW, cant believe the death toll was as low as it was! My payers go out to the families and friends of the deceased.

Zexerz on July 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Coming soon to California. Not the same crash as the horrific story above though

Conservative4Ever on July 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It’s just a coincidence that Muslims have been told to focus on trains and wildfires for easy economic Jihad isn’t it? Happy Ramadan! Is everybody hungry? Bless you!

[email protected] on July 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus