Green Room

77 dead in Spanish train disaster

posted at 8:07 am on July 25, 2013 by

And at least 20 more in critical condition, per CNN. Unimaginable.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That’s heartwretching. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

Imrahil on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Wow. How horrible.

Bitter Clinger on July 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I can’t watch that video. I’ll let my imagination assume the images and horror……
Just awful.

conservative pilgrim on July 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My first impression watching the video is that the train has too much speed in the corner. But I really don’t know enough of anything about trains to say if I’m right or not. I think that train was easily doing 50 MPH through that corner. Is that normal under the circumstances?

NotCoach on July 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

So this was not “A man made disaster” ?

Bmore on July 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Horrible. Those poor people. /shiver

LaughterJones on July 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Evidently doing 120 kph in an 80 kph urban zone.

Abelard on July 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Correction:

He was doing 190kph (120mph) in a section posted 80kph (50mph).

The guy was a lunatic. Now, hundreds are suffering and dead because of his lunacy.

Reportedly, most of the passengers were Catholic pilgrims on their way to a festival honouring St. James.

I wonder if we’ll find out that the engineer’s name is Ahmed… or Mohammed… or something along those lines.

Shepherd Lover on July 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

“Francisco Jose Garzon”. I think you can bet he’s going to be charged with something.

Steven Den Beste on July 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

To myself, It would seem that the train would be computer controlled for turns and the the engineer would have to override the controls. But, then, i am no expert on high speed trains.

SC.Charlie on July 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

WOW, cant believe the death toll was as low as it was! My payers go out to the families and friends of the deceased.

Zexerz on July 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Coming soon to California. Not the same crash as the horrific story above though

Conservative4Ever on July 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It’s just a coincidence that Muslims have been told to focus on trains and wildfires for easy economic Jihad isn’t it? Happy Ramadan! Is everybody hungry? Bless you!

BL@KBIRD on July 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM