Green Room

It begins: Scammers already cashing in on Obamacare

posted at 11:36 am on July 24, 2013 by

And I’m not even talking about elected Democrats.  Remember all those Obamacare-related concerns about sensitive data, privacy breaches, fraud, and identity theft?  Yeah:

“Scammers are calling unsuspecting people, saying they are with Obamacare or the federal government — and they need your information to send you your Obamacare card.  Some scammers try to sell consumers very poor coverage, or coverage that isn’t even real.  They also request bank account numbers…”

The much more serious privacy issues won’t really start to arise until legions of under-vetted Obamacare “navigators” begin their work, and the federal data hub is established.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Obamadontcare

Shy Guy on July 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I don’t know which depresses me more. The corruption of ObamaCare or the fact that too many Americans are happy to turn their lives and all their personal information over to people “representing” the federal government who have become the arbiters of what you have and don’t have.

gwelf on July 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

ObamaCareless

parke on July 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Chris of Rights on July 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

There have been adverts for getting insurance under Obamacare for over 6 months. Telling me I can get the insurance “I deserve”. I called one about it because I was curious and they would never agree to send me anything in writing.

earlgrey133 on July 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Obamascam.

Axeman on July 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Chris of Rights on July 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

P.T. Barnum is widely but erroneously credited with coining the phrase “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

We open up mortgages to everybody. We open up credit cards to everybody. We do so many things that breed suckers. Suckers have to endure a lot of things that feed on suckers.

teejk on July 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Heck, the scammers have been advertising on TV, using 0bamacare to cheat old folks and younger fools since before it was passed.

LegendHasIt on July 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Well, it’s nice to know Edward Snowden will always be able to get a job…
(ring, ring, ring) “Hi, this is Eddie with the Department of Obamacare, and I have some questions for you!”

Marcola on July 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

A fellow I used to work for called me up and asked if I wanted to write software for a medical billing group he was bidding on. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

JimK on July 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Does anyone else here remember the phone scams of just a few years ago out of Miami, FL “offering” “diplomas” and then the more recent scam through the mail posing as IRS material and demanding you call “them” to discuss your file/s?

I do.not.understand how these scammers can operate and do so for so long as they do and have. Asking local police to file a complaint is useless, they don’t get the idea that it’s their concern. I know, because I tried after the ongoing diploma-mill scam. Also emailed garbage about the same thing…I think these scammers operate as they do because they’re aware that no one’s “there” to penalize them.

Lourdes on July 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Other scams currently taking place using the phone:

— “air conditioning duct cleaners” call and say they’re in the neighborhood and want to come right over to inspect the ducts. Just give them your home address and credit card number.

This scam has been going on for quite a while now in my residential area and, well, they’re still out there scamming the public and likely stealing anything they can grab.

Lourdes on July 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

earlgrey133 on July 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Yes, same scam going on here where I live.

Lourdes on July 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

ObamaCareless

parke on July 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I referred to ‘it’ as ObamaCareless from the very beginning of Obama’s Big Talk about this awful plan of his.

ObamaCareless.

Lourdes on July 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

gwelf on July 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I can’t stand consumer fraud, unless no one could by now notice that what with my several comments here.

Anyway, in Hawaii, the state drivers licenses carry the bearer’s social security number. Predominantly. Or did when I resided there, though I heard eventually that “a lot of people object to it” and for good reason.

Show your DL, there or anywhere you’re travelling, and you display your SS number in emphasized type to anyone who takes a look.

And just TRY telling a cable company or insurance company “customer service rep.” that you don’t care to provide your SS number or home tel. number when unlisted to them (they can look up your account by other information, they don’t need your SS# or home telephone number unless you need to blab it to them).

This level of disregard for personal privacy is why we have so little of it today. Or none of it in the case of the creepy government socialism under Obama — I doubt even after he’s out of office that we’ll ever get it back.

Lourdes on July 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Some scammers try to sell consumers very poor coverage, or coverage that isn’t even real. They also request bank account numbers…

The very poor or fake coverage might be legitimate Obamacare calls.

Asking for bank account numbers is the giveaway, though… they already have that information through the IRS.

malclave on July 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Top Pick

“He hasn’t been serious.”

A familiar GOP pattern when in power: Squabbling

Andrew Malcolm Jun 29, 2017 10:01 AM

Not exactly teamwork.

Merkel plots confrontation on climate change.

Button it up.

“I repeat I am innocent of these charges. They are false.”

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”