Green Room

In Hawaii, gun ownership rises while violent crime falls

posted at 6:17 pm on July 24, 2013 by

This is actually news from back in March, but hat tip to Reason for bringing it to light. Do you suppose there’s a correlation here? Maybe?

Hawaii firearms registrations shot up more than 70 percent in 2012, while gun violence continued a four-year decline, according to a new state Department of the Attorney General report.

“While there has been a tremendous increase in firearm registration activity in Hawaii since 2000, the annual trends for both the number of firearm-related violent crimes and the proportion of violent crimes involving firearms relative to other weapon types remained stable within a low and narrow range through 2007, and decreased substantially from 2008 through 2012, during which time registration activity increased the most sharply,” the Department of the Attorney concluded.

Officials processed a record 21,864 state and county firearm permits in 2012, the report found. One year before, that number was 15,375.

Hawaii law allows multiple long guns to be registered under one permit. That brought the total number of firearms registered in 2012 to 50,394, a 73 percent increase from the previous record high of 36,804 firearms registered in 2011.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

What? No hand guns allowed?

FOWG1 on July 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Do you suppose there’s a correlation here? . . . Maybe ?

Erika Johnsen

Nahhh . . . . . . . just an ‘isolated’ incident.

Pay no attention to the statistics behind the curtain.

listens2glenn on July 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Beautiful place – got married there and hope to retire there. Still, guns are needed, even in paradise.

RedNewEnglander on July 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

i live in HI. handguns ARE allowed.

homesickamerican on July 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I’m all for gun rights, but nobody can prove to me that it isn’t just the Dog The Bounty Hunter effect.

Colvinus on July 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Some people never can be convinced that water is wet.

Another Drew on July 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Colvinus on July 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Well I certainly can’t. I don’t even know what that is.

Oldnuke on July 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Well, in the spirit of honesty, this doesn’t prove that higher rates of gun ownership decreases crime, since crime was falling previously. What it does help to do is disprove the attack that more guns=more crime.

Donald Draper on July 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Colvinus on July 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Well I certainly can’t. I don’t even know what that is.

Oldnuke on July 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Dog Primer

Violent crime out there may have dropped, but non-violent crime has skyrocketed in the town where Dear Leader has the Winter White House.

Kailua residents see spike in home burglaries

Del Dolemonte on July 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM

An armed society is a polite society.

Ellis on July 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

What? No hand guns allowed?

FOWG1 on July 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

A hand gun is just a way to fight to your battle rifle. Besides, didn’t you see the Stand Your Ground thread? You don’t need no stinkin’ handgun. ha.

SailorMark on July 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

No handgun for thee, just for me! – anti-gun, lib, Democrap state senator

IrishEyes on July 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I was a beat cop on Oahu. What gun violence are they talking about? I only left a couple years ago and there was hardly any gun violence. The vast majority of assaults were “skin on skin.” And the annual homicide rate in the entire state is usually anywhere from 10 to 20. So, I call BS on this. Any “local kine” here that can tell me things have changed that much?

NavyMustang on July 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM

A hand gun is just a way to fight to your battle rifle.

SailorMark on July 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, because we can all carry battle rifles all day long.

*rolls eyes*

Every weapon has its place, Sailor.

MelonCollie on July 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

The correlation between gun ownership and violence is tenuous at best.Erika never fails to present things in simplicity by ignoring contradictory evidence.

That is true too, right Erika?

It takes a real moron to make such an absurd argument in favor of gun ownership.

lexhamfox on July 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Firearm Registration? Is this still America?

Hat Trick on July 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Donald Draper on July 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Reading comprehension.

Vince on July 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

You could just as easily say Hawaii has less gun crime than the rest of the nation because ir has the lowest gun ownership in the country. lexhamfox on July 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

You could easily say it but…

It takes a real moron to make such an absurd argument in favor of gun control.

lexhamfox on July 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Vince on July 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

No according to the libs, this should turn into the old west in 3..2..1……….. What, nothing is happening?! Do people know how to control themselves? That cant be? I know, the government has not yet let the word out that the shootings may commence. “sheesh”

Zexerz on July 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Reading comprehension.

Vince on July 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Fair enough. My point remains valid. Get back to me when they control for a dozen or so other variables and gun ownership is statistically significant.

Donald Draper on July 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yet another reason I want to move there. I hear from friends there that Hawaii is an awful lot like it is here, except more peaceful and orderly. You can’t have a gun to save your immortal soul in Puerto Rico, at least not legally. Not coincidentally, our violent crimes are through the roof and it’s not safe to walk down the tourist strip in broad daylight. Just two days ago a friend was telling me how someone tried to rape her – at noon on a Saturday – in front of the Capitol building – with the cops twenty steps away – and they did not even intervene or apparently notice.

JoseQuinones on July 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, you need a gun in Hawaii, especially if you are haole.

Sterling Holobyte on July 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

If an increase in gun ownership has no correlation with an increase in violent crime, then it follows a decrease in gun ownership would not result in less crime. Meaning that gun control is, like all progressive policies, based on intentions and not reality.

I wonder how you liberal trolls even figure out how to register here.

jhffmn on July 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

That is true too, right Erika?

lexhamfox on July 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

You’re full of it. Case in point:

link

Turtle317 on July 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

RedNewEnglander on July 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Dunno. I spent three years at Schofield Barracks on Oahu when I was in the Army. From my perspective, Hawaii is a nice place to visit, but I don’t think I’d want to retire there. What you don’t see during brief stints as a tourist are the underlying factors, like liberal Democrats having a stranglehold on local politics, relatively strict gun control, failing public schools, high taxation, higher costs for just about everything, horrendous traffic with insufficient infrastructure, etc. Basically, Hawaii has all the same problems as California, with the added factor that you are on a rock in the middle of the Pacific, and once you’ve seen all the touristy stuff, you can start going stir crazy very quickly. It gets old.

Just my $.02 worth.