Green Room

Protip: Don’t take legal advice from Joe Biden

posted at 1:04 pm on July 18, 2013 by

Those of us who follow politics discovered this decades ago, but not everyone has gotten the memo. A Washington man charged with illegally discharging his shotgun will use the Biden Defense (via tr4a):

A Vancouver man who fired a shotgun to chase away alleged car prowlers pleaded not guilty Wednesday and cited Vice President Joe Biden as the reason he did this.

Jeffery Barton, 52, pleaded not guilty to one count of illegal aiming or discharging a firearm at his arraignment in Clark County Court.

Barton reportedly admitted to deputies that he fired his weapon while chasing away people who he thought were breaking into his vehicles at 5804 NE 124th St. in the early morning hours Monday.

Deputies are investigating whether a large teen party that got out of control at a neighbor’s home may have been linked to the shooting. However, at this point, deputies have said there was no evidence of prowlers on Barton’s property.

Outside the courtroom Wednesday, Barton cited the vice president in defense of his actions.

“I did what Joe Biden told me to do,” Barton told KOIN. “I went outside and fired my shotgun in the air.”

Just a warning, in case our readers are unaware: you never go the Full Biden on gun policy.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Don’t take any advice from that idiot.

DAT60A3 on July 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

What goes up, must come down.

And at the same velocity.

Chris of Rights on July 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If Joe Biden told me the sky was blue, I’d go outside and check.

CurtZHP on July 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

DO I take advice from Joe Biden? No.

But, lets play a hypothetical game.

You’re in a liberal enclave state.
You see someone on your property clearly intending to break in.
You shoot & miss and they run off.

Do you:

A) Assume the liberals will accept the valid self-defense claim that you were defending your home and property?

B) Pretend to be stupid and correctly quote the liberal Vice-President who told you this is what to do in this situation?

I’m not a lawyer, I don’t play on on TV, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night… but I can see where you might think “B” has a better chance of being an accepted defense to liberal politically appointed government officials.

In Texas/Kansas/Oklahoma/North Dakota/etc. I’d go with answer “A” every single time… and maybe even admit to shooting AT the intruder (assuming the state has a Castle Doctrine, and I knew the backstop for my shooting).

In Washington/Massachusetts/California/Hawaii/etc. I’d be more tempted by option “B” and claim I shot into the air just to scare them off as the VP said I should.

This story doesn’t confuse me at all; except to decide what to do here in Colorado.

** To be fair, I’m in Colorado Springs, so I’d go “A”.
If I were in Boulder/Denver I might go “B” though.

gekkobear on July 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

A 52-year-old man has to have the Vice President be his advisor on life? Hope he’s found guilty, just on the principle of stupidity.

Bitter Clinger on July 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Randomly fire a lethal weapon toward a crowd…is perfectly OK with the Vice President.

But using a handgun to protect your life when a racist gay-bashing killer is beating the life out of you is some sort of crime?

How bizarre.

How bizarre.

How bizarre.

Oh, baby, it’s making me crazy…

(Sorry, started channeling OMC all of a sudden.)

coldwarrior on July 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

coldwarrior on July 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

If that song gets stuck in my head, I will find you.

CurtZHP on July 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I think it’s a great defense, if the VP says something is okay, he is second in command, the second most influential person in the world…and he needs to be held accountable for shooting off his mouth.

right2bright on July 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Props to Ed for the Kirk Lazarus riff.

Christien on July 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

It’s Vanc. ‘Nuff said.

Christien on July 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Top Pick

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

Top Pick

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”