Green Room

Video: Surveilling bikini baristas

posted at 6:00 pm on July 17, 2013 by

The Great Bikini Barista Crime Ring certainly has the State of Washington worried … and Reason TV amused. It gets prominent mention in this month’s episode of “Don’t Cops Have Better Things to Do?” This time, though, the FBI is on the case:

Good law enforcement agencies know to take their time when staking out bikini barista establishments suspected of operating prostitution rings. It’s important to pose as customers to witness lewd acts first hand and it’s absolutely crucial to spend many months pouring over surveillance footage. In fact, you might want to call upon federal agents to provide some extra surveillance footage.

In Snohomish County, Washington a very thorough bikini barista investigation has spanned approximately nine months, involved at least two local police departments (Everett and Kent) as well as the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Department and the FBI, and yielded multiple arrests for prostitution and related offenses. Among those caught in the sting operation was Sheriff’s Sgt. Darrell O’Neill, who would allegedly warn bikini baristas about undercover officers in exchange for sex (yes, even while in uniform).

In this case, bikini baristas weren’t really the core of the problem. Prostitution is illegal and most communities want it prosecuted, but probably not at the expense of losing focus on violent criminals … or chasing legitimate bikini baristas (assuming some of them are legitimate, of course) out of work. Maybe the cops should have spent three days on the bikini-barista bust and nine months on the violent-criminal roundup, huh? I think that would have put the priorities in proper perspective rather than the prurience.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Teaser

Bmore on July 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I’m going to have to investigate this more closely.

rbj on July 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Many months of surveillance?
Well, yah of course the FBI has better things to do.
I mean the IRS can’t intimidate all the conservatives and Tea Partiers in America

Amendment X on July 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Nice…

abobo on July 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Heh, Seattle is weird about that. Several years ago they went on a crusade to shut down the lone strip club in Shoreline, just to the north of the city. I remember reading in the Times when they presented the evidence, a 3 inch thick binder full of testimony from officers over a 2 year period. Apparently all the murderers and drug dealers were caught, so they had nothing better to do than hangout down at the club seeing what they could get for a $20 tip.

JamesB on July 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Police surveillance of bikini baristas?

Sorta give new meaning to a police bust.

coldwarrior on July 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

No, they don’t have better things to do than their jobs.

Axe on July 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Sorta give new meaning to a police bust.

coldwarrior on July 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

“Is this some kind of bust?”
Very impressive, yes. But, we need to ask you a few questions.”

GWB on July 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Well heck, I’ll be up there next week. I think I’ll do my own investigating.

Jeff Weimer on July 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Coffee, Tea or Me.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I think I can see why they took many months to surveil the situation.

Bitter Clinger on July 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

No, they don’t have better things to do than their jobs.

Axe on July 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

How do I get the job of sleeping with prostitutes and getting paid by taxpayers for doing so? Oh, that offiucer was arrested so I have to be the Attorney General of NYC to not get arrested doing that?

I knew I should have gone to law school.

gekkobear on July 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM