Green Room

Hilarious: The Daily Caller trolls its own commenters

posted at 6:22 pm on July 12, 2013 by

Ballsy and very well-executed:

About the author: OBACK2KENYA is a 68-year-old retired private detective who frequently leaves comments under articles published in The Daily Caller. He is also a syndicated advice columnist published in over 30 newspapers nationwide. If you have a question for OBACK2KENYA, please email him at OBACK2KENYA@DailyCaller.com.

Dear OBACK2KENYA,

My wonderful husband and I never wanted kids. In fact, not wanting children was something that brought us together long before we tied the knot. But around my 40th birthday something changed. For the first time I started thinking it might actually be nice to have a little rugrat running around the house. He argued that we had already agreed to stay childless and, knowing he was right, I let the subject drop. That was six months ago. Last week my doctor informed me that I’m pregnant. It came as a shock — I’ve been on birth control since high school — but I couldn’t help but feel thrilled that I would get my chance to be a mother. Still, I’m afraid of what my husband will say when I tell him. Will he think that I stopped taking the pill and tried to trick him into having a baby? What if he doesn’t want to raise it? I understand that its my choice whether or not we keep this baby, but I still want my husband on board. How do I convince him that my pregnancy is a blessing and not a curse?

Sincerely,
Pondering in Portsmouth

Dear Pondering,

WE THE PEOPLE are tired of THIS CRAP!!!1! When will the LIBS and COMRADE OBOZO realize we are NOT THERE SLAVES? We’re living in the 4TH REICH under Obamao…Its sick twisted and WRONG to think that where just going to TAKE IT 4ever… I dont get how Nixon got IMPEACHED but noone can touch HUSSEIN O and his MUSLIM bro. Eric FAST AND FURIOUS Holder and co. DOES ANY1 even REMEMBER BENGHZI? Tired of MEDIA BLACKwash of THESE CRIMES…NSA IRS AGENDA 21 FT HOOD and UNCONSTITUTIONAL SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY!!!x

Sincerely,
OBACK2KENYA

Predictably, the comments on this satirical piece are a sight to behold.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Pretty good, BUT only progressive kook COMMENTERS use random capitalization LIKE THAT.

forest on July 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Funny, because it’s TRUE.

abobo on July 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yawn, Wake me up when they troll libtard commentators.

This is like SNL, Daily Show, etc. It’s safe to make fun of conservatives but we dare not make fun of liberals or liberal politicians.

LtBarnwell02 on July 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

This is hilarious? Doesn’t amnesty-supporter Guy Benson have other things to post here?

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Doesn’t amnesty-supporter Guy Benson have other things to post here?

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Benson is an amnesty-supporter?

If so, I might come here less than I do now.

jaime on July 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Benson is an amnesty-supporter?
If so, I might come here less than I do now.
jaime on July 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Please continue to visit. But I understand your frustration. Yes, Benson has stated that he is open to a special “pathway to citizenship” for illegal aliens if there is some kind of supposed assurance the border will be secured. He’s just like Rubio. It’s a joke. Guy Benson also complains about conservatives who reject candidates based on their support for illegal alien amnesty. He calls the issue “just one issue” and says we shouldn’t reject candidates just because they support granting legal status to tens of millions of illegal aliens.

The site could have done a lot better than a Rubio-esque blogger like Guy Benson.

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Then Benson is dishonest.

Conservatives reject legalization first. We know what will happen to enforcement once legalization occurs. Nothing. We’ve seen it before many times. We don’t trust the government because they have failed to carry out their duty since the Eisenhower presidency.

We know for 99% certainty that if legalization comes first then we are f**ked again.

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe Benson doesn’t understand this and is just a retard, and is not dishonest after all.

jaime on July 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

heh. predictably, hotair commenters are not amused.

sesquipedalian on July 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yeah, that’s real “ballsy.”

rrpjr on July 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Daily Caller ridicules Tea Party types regularly. Sarah Palin is one of its favorite targets of derision. It’s a moderate-right site.

Ted Torgerson on July 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This comment has been flagged for review.

Ars Moriendi on July 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

What’s the problem? It was good fun.

thebrokenrattle on July 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM

This piece reads like an imitation of those unfunny “advice columns” that they print in The Onion. The only way in which it differs from those was that the “This comment flagged for review” actually made me chuckle.

jefrey with one f on July 13, 2013 at 3:31 AM

On an unrelated note, when is HotAir’s header going to be changed from “HotAir — Politics, Culture, Media, 2012, Breaking News from a conservative viewpoint” to something a bit more current?

jefrey with one f on July 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM

forest on July 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

So absolutely 100% true!

The Notorious G.O.P on July 13, 2013 at 4:19 AM

ALL CAPS is indeed a lib thing. That their posts resemble a text from a twelve year old girl is telling. As for what the Daily Caller is doing is also telling …

This all mostly click bait for ad revenue.

M240H on July 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Yes, as we know, most conservatives are irrational, borderline nuts.

WordsMatter on July 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM

UNCONSTITUTIONAL SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY

I don’t think I’ve seen this one before. Is that actually a “thing” somewhere, or is it just a random object they threw in to the rant?

Count to 10 on July 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Arch_Kendrick • 16 days ago

Daily Caller Editor: Here you go folks, here’s a nice new column about Nazi sadomasochist sex fiends from Hell.

Daily Caller Reader: Your comment is awaiting moderation. See your comment.

Count to 10 on July 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

“If you can’t laugh at yourself, you don’t know a good joke.” -Me

BigGator5 on July 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Chris Matthews got a smackdown as well…

ExpressoBold on July 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I think some of y’all are missing the point: that they put something so over the top out there, and people actually responded to it with their usual vitriol – as if it were real. It’s a great example of demonstrating confirmation bias.

Sadly, there are a few things that would probably get the same treatment here if a similar (reversed) hoax were perpetrated.

GWB on July 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I’m especially fond of the DC’s resident azzhat Matt K. Lewis. He’s such a dreamy little lefty!

el Vaquero on July 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If a “3rd Party” is to come into existence, it needs to be credible.

Regurgitating “news” from InfoWars will not allow that to happen. So, if the DCs purpose was to embarrass “3rd partiers”, thats a good thing.

Lets not start out with an attic full of crazy Joes that we have to monitor constantly.

The DC actually did us a favor.

And, it was really funny too. Especially the Chris Matthews stuff.

BobMbx on July 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Some favor.

Hard to fathom the DC’s business model. If there was that much of an audience for the slightly-right-of-center, we’d have cruised to victory with Dole and McCain.

S. Weasel on July 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

UNCONSTITUTIONAL SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY

Count to 10 on July 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Apparently, and unfortunately, yes it is an actual thing.

vegconservative on July 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Ted Torgerson on July 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The emphasis is on moderate.

The morning updates were informative and amusing when Treacher had the reins. Then some 20-something Jamie Weinstein got the job. Weinstein is clearly infatuated with himself and his “humor.” I’m almost to the point of unsubscribing that email because he’s so juvenile and unfunny. I keep hoping somebody else will replace him.

conservative pilgrim on July 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Apparently, and unfortunately, yes it is an actual thing.

vegconservative on July 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Actually, various aspects of sex offender registry laws ARE unconstitutional, and in some states they have been struck down as such. The only thing stopping the bulk of them from being struck down is a clearly absurd higher court ruling stating that sex offender registries are not punishment, so the usual rules don’t apply. Thing is, the registries clearly are punishment, particularly the public ones. So I would agree that the laws have gone off the deep end.

Another big issue is that most of the worst sex offender laws are all retroactive, so you could have done your time 20 years ago and suddenly now you have to register and you’re not allowed to live in your home. That kind of stuff really pisses people off, considering they’ve paid their debt to society and kept their nose clean for decades.

Sex offender registries are not full of rapists and pedophiles. Those offenders are maybe something like only 25%. The rest are on it for lesser crimes, sometimes things as minor as a drunk urinating in public, a couple having exhibitionist sex in a public or semi-public place, or a teenage boy who had consensual sex with his teenage girlfriend.

Ballsy and very well-executed:

Poor, sad little guy benson, so mad at the conservative trolls that he delights in them being ridiculed by liberals, even though liberals are using this as a straw man to attack all conservatives.

I was around during the Bush years. The liberal trolls were far more numerous and far worse.

kaltes on July 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM

“Ballsy”?

It’s ballsy to take shots at your own readership in a fashion that gets approval from the quislings and the politically correct?

Ballsy.

You know what’s really ballsy? Shilling for amnesty and calling yourself a conservative.

Kensington on July 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Larry Elder, Brossip Danvers and David Frum approve this message.

Capitalist Hog on July 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Shouldn’t you be off calling Snowden, as well as anyone who doesn’t equate him with Satan, a treasonous traitor engaged in treason against trees and the sun?

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Kensington on July 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Agreed. The Daily Caller has really been going down the tubes lately. Bad enough that they have all those bulls**t article links to infomercial-style crap, but they’ve been taking a decidedly Daily Mirror turn with their bikini spreads and other nonsense. On top of that, they’ve had some really poorly written and snide articles lately.

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

jaime and bluegill,

Hmm. I must have missed the part where I rejected an enforcement-first paradigm for immigration reform.

Guy Benson on July 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Tucker Carlson is pretty damn formidable. He takes it on the chin better than most. He is also very funny.

This is my favorite Daily Caller finger-in-the-eye. I’m sure this latest move will not be so well received. It’s still funny.

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Says the guy who lost a good writing gig because he couldn’t discern exclamatory exuberance from potty-mouth drivel.

I suspect this episode with Snowden will be the last rock in MadCon’s crack pipe. I hear he has been taking flak from his union buddies.

Capitalist Hog on July 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

DC can go suck on a turd.

Ridiculing anyone, let alone your own readers, usually doesn’t turn out well for a serious news outlet.

CycloneCDB on July 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Doesn’t amnesty-supporter Guy Benson have other things to post here?

bluegill on July 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Benson is an amnesty-supporter?

If so, I might come here less than I do now.

jaime on July 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

jaime and bluegill,

Guy Benson on July 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Benson’s is another “the system is broken” conservative-lite who hasn’t the guts to say outright that we have plenty of good laws on the books which the elite refuse to enforce, just as they’ll ignore any new ones from the Gangster 8. Maybe it’s something he learned from his NPR days. Plus, he’s got an unhealthy mancrush on Rubio, never challenging him with anything more than “Critics say…”-type questions. Apparently Benson values his access to the RINOs more than federalism, states rights, and enforcing existing law. He’ll eventually wind up at Weakly [sic] Standard where he belongs, finding new ways to word appeasement at the right hand of Bill Kristol. Unless he gets some real world experience and deigns to get down here at ground level with the rest of us lumpen proles for a while and see the actual consequences of CRIMINAL illegality.

Western_Civ on July 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Predictably, the comments on this satirical piece are a sight to behold.

That’s not surprising, Disqus is a cess-pool of proggie trolls.

It has wonderful “features” like the ability of trolls to stalk you with their following feature.

[They made an attempt at fixing it, but strangely enough, some trolls are still able to get through]

Trolls can also change their names on the fly – so they can come back at you under a new name.

That ability also lets them impersonate others at will.

Like I said, Disqus is a cess-pool.

Galt2009 on July 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Capitalist Hog on July 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

There are two “Madison Conservative” people. This person is not the one you’re thinking of.

conservative pilgrim on July 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Western_Civ,

Yup, I’m never, ever critical of Rubio. Mancrush, and all that. Also, you’re aware that Bill Kristol is a staunch opponent of the Senate bill, right?

Guy Benson on July 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Western_Civ,

Guy Benson on July 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Guy, all due respect, but Bill Kristol has no beliefs which can’t be changed if he feels the icy wind of MSM opprobrium blowing on his starched collar, to wit:
The [Senate] committee had reported out a sensible and comprehensive immigration bill that includes border security measures, a guest worker program, and, for illegal immigrants already here, a path towards earned legalization and citizenship. William Kristol, Apil 2006

As for your presumed criticism of Rubio, once again I detect you confusing reporting other’s disapproval of Rubio with actual criticism, which would entail lambasting the man with his own words when as a candidate he said we need verified enforcement first. He’s currently clearly in favor of legalization (if not outright amnesty) first so that we “know who’s here”–presumably so we know where to mail them golden Wonka ticket subsidies.

Western_Civ on July 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yes, it was funny stuff. I don’t have a problem with a bit of fun from time to time. But let’s include the flip side and your basic liberal rant.

Dear Pondering,

WE THE PEOPLE are tired of THIS CRAP!!!1! When will the RethugliKKKans and the GREEDY corporations realize we are NOT THERE SLAVE workers? We will not live in the Peoples Republic of Kochistan!! They’re ALL selfish pigs that care NOTHING about the POOR and people of color and GAYS!! WE NEED a LIVING WAGE and it’s sick twisted and WRONG to think that where just going to TAKE IT 4ever… BUSH and CHENEY LIED and need to be tried for WAR CRIMES!!! DOES ANY1 even REMEMBER all those WMD’s that NEVER EXISTED? Tired of the MEDIA just forgetting about THOSE WAR MONGERS!
These are all DANGERous people who want to DENY EVERY ONE of us our basic HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!

Sincerely,
S@rahP@linsux

lynncgb on July 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Capitalist Hog on July 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Your obsession is bordering on scary.

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM

lynncgb on July 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Good one, Lynn. Benson’s post didn’t even get a smile out of me, but I laughed pretty hard when I read your version.

Burke on July 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM