Green Room

Pelosi: “Bible folks” seem to like immigration reform, you know

posted at 12:04 pm on July 11, 2013 by

Silky smooth messaging from America’s favorite self-described “devout Catholic:”

See, average people?  Your fellow “Bible folks” support a policy that I also like — and so should you!  I’m just like you, really.  In fact, I own several books.  The Bible is also a book!  Relate to me, middle America.  Reporters are suggesting that Pelosi was attempting to refer to a specific coalition with “Bible” in its title, so her remark may be a case of hilariously dumb wording rather than overtly disdainful pandering.  In either case, it reminds me of this SNL sketch, which aired after Democrats won the House in 2006:

“We Americans have always been a religious people, a member of my staff tells me.”

Who knew Pelosi had a token representative of the “Bible folks” on staff at all?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

They also like border security first and political leaders who don’t lie to them Nancy.

reddevil on July 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Enthusiastic, yes. Just not in the way she seems to be thinking.

apostic on July 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Click on a video with a screencap like that?

No thanks, Guy.

I’ll just keep trying to figure out how a “devout Catholic” can be pro-abortion & pro-homosexuality.

itsnotaboutme on July 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

…as well as a swindler & a compulsive liar.

itsnotaboutme on July 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Which “Bible folks?” Abraham? Moses? Paul?

29Victor on July 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Which “Bible folks?” Abraham? Moses? Paul?

29Victor on July 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Well, all three were immigrants from time to time.

itsnotaboutme on July 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

She thinks her gardner Jesús is that other guy.

bigmacdaddy on July 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hep us Senitur Nansee! Weer stuk in teh bibol beltt!

CurtZHP on July 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Not this Bible folk…nancy you tend to go by a different set of words than my Book says…why does the Catholic church put up with this woman….

crosshugger on July 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Why can’t it be both?

GWB on July 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Me and dem other bible folks I know like us some legal, by-the-book immigration. You know, the kind that got most of our ancestors here OK? Accordin’ to the good book I read, there’s never any reward for wantonly breaking the laws of any land. The Lord might call some to break laws in specific circumstances, but even then He does not hand out blanket ‘get out of jail free’ cards.

Marcola on July 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I’m rather surprised she hasn’t been thrown out, what with her wanton disregard for her faith’s beliefs.

sadatoni on July 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Soros-Backed Evangelical Front Group Prays for Rushed Passage of Gang of 8 Bill

Representatives of the Evangelical Immigration Table (EIT), a group whose recent $250,000 ad campaign was reportedly paid for by the George Soros funded National Immigration Forum, have announced that they will be praying near the steps of the Capitol for the immediate passage of the Gang of Eight immigration bill when the Senate votes on the Corker Amendment on Monday.

On Friday the Christian Post reported that the EIT “is planning a number of events bringing attention to immigration reform to coincide with next week’s vote in the U.S. Senate for an immigration reform bill.” The Post reported that starting on Monday, June 24, and continuing until Friday, June 28, “[a]t 10 a.m. . . evangelical leaders will gather at Peace Circle near the U.S. Senate to pray that the senators will ‘ transcend partisanship and vote for commonsense immigration solutions that include an achievable roadmap to citizenship,’ according to a press release.”

On May 31, a representative of the EIT acknowledged in an email to Breitbart News the critical role the Soros funded National Immigration Forum plays in its operation. “Early in the formation of the Table’s work, the leadership sought a neutral third-party institution, the National Immigration Forum, to help facilitate our work.” the email read

voiceofreason on July 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

like Nanzy would know any little thing about “bible folks”–snort

jersey taxpayer on July 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Across the board the Protestant and Catholic faith traditions have gotten the accountability thing backwards. In the Apostle Paul’s first book to the Corinthians he made a statement that he didn’t come to judge the world but those in the church because God has already judged the World. In modern times the Church seeks to hold the world accountable but won’t hold its’ own members accountable. That is why Reid, Pelosi, et. al. can get away with totally trashing Church Teaching and nothing happens.

chemman on July 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

This tidbit of condescending rhetoric comes from the same idiot who said her favorite word was “the word”.

mobydutch on July 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I thought you all might be interested in seeing the text of the email that Nancy Pelosi’s office is sending to people who have written to her to urge her to vote against granting legal status to millions of ILLEGAL aliens.

Gee from this letter, you would have to conclude that Nancy Pelosi doesn’t understand the difference between legal immigrants and ILLEGAL aliens.

Legal immigrants to the USA should be offended!

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on comprehensive immigration reform. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I will continue to work with my House colleagues, the Obama Administration, and the Senate to pass comprehensive immigration reform. We must address the growing disconnect between our nation’s immigration policy and the reality on the ground in cities and communities across our country. Our immigration system needs to honor the promise of America and recognize the enormous contributions immigrants make to our nation. We must enact immigration reform that is humane and honors our American tradition as a nation of immigrants and a land of opportunity for all. At the same time, we must secure our borders, enforce our laws, and ensure the safety of the American people.

We must recognize that America was built by immigrants, and our immigrant communities continue to make significant contributions to our nation. The debate on immigration reform must be framed by our nation’s rich tradition of respect for our shared immigrant heritage. Please be assured that I will keep your comments in mind as we continue our work in Congress to enact immigration legislation that promotes our core American values

Thank you, again, for contacting me on this issue. I hope you will continue to communicate with me on matters of concern to you. For more information on this or other issues affecting our city and our nation, please visit my website at http://www.pelosi.house.gov/ or sign up to receive e-mail updates at http://www.pelosi.house.gov/media/pelosi-update.shtml.

best regards,
[See the attached file]
NANCY PELOSI
Member of Congress

If you have received an email from your representatives in response to your calls and emails about immigration “reform”, please let us know what other representatives have to say about their position on the immigration issue.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

wren on July 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Her “Bible folks” phrase sounds overtly contrived. It reminds me of John Kerry’s “can I get me a huntin’ license” fail.

conservative pilgrim on July 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Shut up Nancy…You haven’t cracked a bible since you were confirmed & obviously you don’t care less that you vowed to defend your faith…You sold yourself for 30 pieces of silver & You’d better repent before it’s too late.

workingclass artist on July 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I bet it took every ounce of Nancy’s strength to refrain from saying “inbred Bible folks”.

olesparkie on July 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

If you showed her a bible, she’d probably bare her fangs, shriek, and fly into the rafters.

CurtZHP on July 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Soros-Backed Evangelical Front Group Prays for Rushed Passage of Gang of 8 Bill

Don’t they call that an oxymoron?

yesiamapirate on July 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

‘Funny’ thing is I laughed at the real quote but not the SNL skit. This woman is funnier on accident than a whole team of professional comedy writers is on purpose.

stout77 on July 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Jesus would righteously whip the living daylights out of this Moneychanger.

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

She is a repulsive creature of the lowest order.

dogsoldier on July 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I have nothing but contempt for those who color themselves as if they follow the Cross and believe God’s Word, while doing everything to fight against what Christianity stands for.

Othniel on July 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM