Green Room

Teresa Heinz Kerry hospitalized for seizure

posted at 9:30 am on July 8, 2013 by

As a few commenters have noted this in other threads, the wife of Secretary of State John Kerry has been hospitalized after suffering a seizure.  Her current condition is critical but stable:

Teresa Heinz Kerry, the wife of U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and heir to a ketchup company fortune, was hospitalized in critical but stable condition Monday, a day after showing symptoms consistent with a seizure, a person in close contact with the family said.

Heinz Kerry was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston on Sunday night after doctors at a hospital on Massachusetts’ Nantucket Island stabilized her, said Glen Johnson, a spokesman for Kerry. The secretary of state was with his 74-year-old wife as an ambulance first transported her to the island hospital, and also during her transfer to the Boston facility.

A spokesman for Nantucket Cottage Hospital said Heinz Kerry arrived in critical condition, although doctors were able to stabilize her.

Family members saw her exhibiting symptoms consistent with some sort of seizure, said the person in contact with the family, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about Heinz Kerry’s condition. She was being evaluated by physicians on Monday morning, the person said.

Anyone who has witnessed a spouse or another loved one having a seizure knows just how awful this can be.  I’ll be praying for a full recovery for Mrs. Kerry and for peace and comfort for her husband and their whole family, and I hope readers will join me in those prayers.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We’re better than that.

Hill60 on July 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The way I see it is this. She is nasty and so is her husband. I didn’t wish them ill will and I don’t wish them good will either.

Kerry lied his ass off in Congress as a young hippie punk accusing soldiers of rape and murder. He curses at a secret service agent as if the agent was his servant. He is a pissant.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Prayers for Heinz-Kerry and her family. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

I am ashamed to be associated with some the mentally ill people who demonstrate their vileness and animosity toward a sick person who is a private citizen. May God have mercy on your souls.

Adjoran on July 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

This thread is unfortunately emblematic of many so-called good Christians.

Bless their hearts.

Capitalist Hog on July 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The primary prayers TH-K needs are for a change of her heart, not for her physical health…

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Bless their hearts =. How holier than thou people tell you, you are one dumb f%#*.

losarkos on July 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Don’t know much about her, but I know more than enough about him to say he needs the same. I do not hold out much hope, though.

If she does not survive, does he become heir, or are there children and a will that bypasses him?

IrishEyes on July 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

IrishEyes on July 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

She has adult Heinz sons…

OmahaConservative on July 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wishing Ms Heinz Kerry to be surrounded by comfort, peace, and all who love her.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

When I was in grade school a good friend had a grand mal. Epilepsy she didn’t know she had. Right in class.

It’s a very scary event.

I could never snark something like that. Even in this case.

So just prayers.

wolly4321 on July 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

wolly4321 on July 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with a buddy when we were fifteen, except he was a closet epileptic. It happened in my driveway and scared the $hit outta’ me…

OmahaConservative on July 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

wolly4321 on July 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM
OmahaConservative on July 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I had never seen “grand mal” used in this context; only for epilepsy. So I had to go read the link because I had never heard of the onset of epilepsy happening so late in life and wondered if she had always been epileptic.

It turns out, in this case, that the doctors think the seizure is due to cancer cells from her recently treated breast cancer migrating to the membranes in the brain.

One can only wish the family well.

gh on July 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I proctor computer based tests and one that I give to brokers is an all day exam and it is pretty important to their future income. One of my testers had a grand mal siezure during the exam. It was incredibly scary since it just went on and on. She had never had a seizure in her life and an article in the newspaper stated that it did damage to her short term memory and ruining her career. Bar none, my worst day at work, with the exception of 9/11.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

gh on July 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I really really really hope that isn’t true.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I really really really hope that isn’t true.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I pray it isn’t as well, Cindy…

OmahaConservative on July 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM