Green Room

NEA Convention: Big PAC Bucks

posted at 11:57 pm on July 6, 2013 by

The 2013 National Education Association Representative Assembly adjourned tonight at 8:41 p.m. after four days of debate and speeches. Here’s a quick digest of the final day’s events:

* The delegates approved, without debate, a measure that requires NEA to provide a rationale in the budget whenever the members of the Executive Committee receive a salary bonus. Evidently the nine highest-ranking elected union officers were awarded a 3% bonus in the current year – not based on performance, the delegates were specifically told. “I could tell you a joke about that, but I won’t,” said Secretary-Treasurer Becky Pringle.

* NBI 77, which called on NEA to review the advantages and disadvantages of a national merger with the American Federation of Teachers, was introduced by Bonnie Peck of Nevada, who thought it was time to restart merger discussions. It soon became clear that many of the same state affiliates that shot down the 1998 Principles of Unity still feel the same way. Delegates from Massachusetts and Michigan voiced their opposition and the assembly closed debate relatively quickly.

A voice vote signaled defeat for the item, but was close enough for a standing vote to be taken. It was a substantial defeat. From my vantage point, the only large non-merged state delegation that seemed to be overwhelmingly in favor was Ohio, which was interesting but inconsequential to the outcome.

The vote was a barometer for the general sentiment about merger, and it was obvious that while there is still a significant number of delegates who think it would be a good idea, a strong majority have no interest in trying it again. For the foreseeable future, we’ll continue to have two national teachers’ unions, though more state affiliate mergers will certainly take place. (Florida, Minnesota, Montana, New York and North Dakota have merged NEA-AFT affiliates. Wisconsin is likely to become the sixth.)

* NEA has raised $3,734,000 for its PAC this election cycle, and if I did my arithmetic correctly, almost $1.3 million of that came from the delegates during this four-day period.

That’ll do it from Atlanta. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I now relinquish The Greenroom to my charming hosts.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Wow, not sure if I’m interpreting correctly, but that seems like “‘Shut up!’, she explained.” Pretty darned arrogant.

Thanks for all the reports from he front lines.

KS Rex on July 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I enjoyed reading your updates. Thank you for covering the convention.

How many first year teachers would that hire?

“I could tell you a joke about that, but I won’t,” said Secretary-Treasurer Becky Pringle. “It was my understanding that there would be no math.”

Fallon on July 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Questions for Mike…you attend and post from that convention every year. Where do you buy your stomach distress bags in bulk? Where can I get 55 gallons of sanitizing liquid/flea shampoo?

teejk on July 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

As an long time ago, local ex-union president (teacher’s union) I refused to pay NEA dues (and took heat) because of the union’s immoral stance against life itself.

I also wondered aloud why anyone would be dumb enough to belong to a union that aggressively supported the slaughtering of its own future clients. I never did get an answer to that one.

Don L on July 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Top Pick

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Top Pick

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him